White balance help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
i did a full day studio shoot yesterday.
initially, i had no problems shooting my gretag macbeth white balance card to custom WB setup.

then towards the noon, whatever lighting i setup, when i shot the card, it will give me a 'no good' reading.any idea why?

my room has been completely dimmed save for the modelling lights.
i even tried pointing my cam to the strobe with softbox and took a custom WB but that didnt work either.

so now, i have to use lightroom to edit 1000+ RAW pics?:rolleyes:

please dont tell me to get the expodisc.i simply refuse to pay 250 for that white cup.:sweatsm:

when it is too overexpose or underexpose to record a proper WB value, it will show "no gd".

have you tried change your f-stops to take the test?

when it is too overexpose or underexpose to record a proper WB value, it will show "no gd".

have you tried change your f-stops to take the test?

2 softboxes in front.i dont think it will be over or under cos i took a meter reading first, then set on my cam, usually f8.
then i asked my model to hold the card, and i focus on it, then fired.my d200 kept showing 'no good'.this happend from noon all the way to night.

funny thing is in the morning, it was ok.

so i shot the entire day using the reading from the morning.you reckon my WB will all be off?:dunno: :cry:

how come this phenomenon will happen?

i even put the card about 50cm from the softbox facing it directly, and i went under the softbox to fire at the card.(so there wont be light falloff on the card).and it STILL didnt work.was very vexed!;(

i heard expodisc also has this problem.

no, i didnt try changing my f stops.will it solve the prob?

did you fill your frame with the gray card? if no..... read D200 manual.

anyway, you can use the shot that model holding the graycard as reference shot, correct it in photoshop, than batch processing the rest.

did you fill your frame with the gray card? if no..... read D200 manual.

anyway, you can use the shot that model holding the graycard as reference shot, correct it in photoshop, than batch processing the rest.

i did fill the entire frame with the card.

#1, the only possible explanation is too overexposed, if you took a shot and see the WB card flashing in highlight mode, than confirm is overexposed, so can't take the custom WB setting.

#2, if the rest of the shots is the same lighting set up, you are staying the same white balance. but if you change softbox, lights, etc, it might be WB off.

#1, the only possible explanation is too overexposed, if you took a shot and see the WB card flashing in highlight mode, than confirm is overexposed, so can't take the custom WB setting.

#2, if the rest of the shots is the same lighting set up, you are staying the same white balance. but if you change softbox, lights, etc, it might be WB off.

oh no...i not only change light modifiers, i even change backdrop.
sigh...now i got to correct pic by pic or set by set in LR...:cry: :cry: :cry:

oh no...i not only change light modifiers, i even change backdrop.
sigh...now i got to correct pic by pic or set by set in LR...:cry: :cry: :cry:
there something call sync in LR... just set WB on 1 pic and sync it with the rest that use the same setup before editing them 1 by 1

don't worry to much, by the look at it, izit too way off?
next time you can shoot the graycard in the first frame of the set, so you can do a batch processing of the set.

there something call sync in LR... just set WB on 1 pic and sync it with the rest that use the same setup before editing them 1 by 1

ya i know.thanks.

prob is i shot more than 10 different lighting setups.
it will be such a chore to correct even by sets.
not to mention i dunno what exactly is the 'right' WB.
doh doh doh:p

don't worry to much, by the look at it, izit too way off?
next time you can shoot the graycard in the first frame of the set, so you can do a batch processing of the set.

i dont have a grey card.
my GM WB card is white in color.
and i got the grayscale card as well which i shot.
this is the one that has 3 panels-white,gray,black.
yes i can correct this pic to have zero color cast and apply to all but i tried that b4.
very very long winded and troublesome.:cry:

sigh.i should have asked for your help even before i did the shoot.
i hate my WB to go off.
i'll post some pics soon.

ya i know.thanks.

prob is i shot more than 10 different lighting setups.
it will be such a chore to correct even by sets.
not to mention i dunno what exactly is the 'right' WB.
doh doh doh:p
just look at the skin tone nice or not lor, woman are still the best on these.

just look at the skin tone nice or not lor, woman are still the best on these.

i wish nikon has this mode of firing at the entire scene first(i'm talking about studio) and calculate the WB itself and of course, must be super spot on.
;p

the have, it is call "Auto White Balance". :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i saw it coming.:sticktong

1)it cant determine how many lights you using and what kind of modifiers.(u mentioned modifiers affect WB right?)

2)it is NOT spot on most of the time.for studio, at least.:sticktong

i wish nikon has this mode of firing at the entire scene first(i'm talking about studio) and calculate the WB itself and of course, must be super spot on.
;p
hav...d2x/s hav sensor at the top to get e w/b e other way is use temp.

i saw it coming.:sticktong

1)it cant determine how many lights you using and what kind of modifiers.(u mentioned modifiers affect WB right?)

2)it is NOT spot on most of the time.for studio, at least.:sticktong
yes, softbox will turn dirty or yellow after sometime, so, it changes WB.
and flash tube will age also.

do you know how many people shoot studio with auto WB? :bsmilie:

wah! 10 diff lighting setups!

erm, i dunno lah but have u tried: putting the white card where ur model is supposed to be, use light meter on flash mode placing it where the white card is, and setting ur camera settings accordingly, and take the white balance reference pic? a lot of times u can afford to underexpose the reference pic a bit.

wah! 10 diff lighting setups!

erm, i dunno lah but have u tried: putting the white card where ur model is supposed to be, use light meter on flash mode placing it where the white card is, and setting ur camera settings accordingly, and take the white balance reference pic? a lot of times u can afford to underexpose the reference pic a bit.

sorry i'm slow.but i no understd wor.

Status
Not open for further replies.