White balance help

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats best to use a white card or grey card? sorry for a noob who never tried never heard bout this..

sorry i'm slow.but i no understd wor.
he means to set the exposure based on the lighting on the card only, not the lighting on the whole scene... thing is, if the exposure is based on the entire scene, then there is a chance, especially with a white card, that the exposure which might be ok for the entire scene might be too much for taking a WB off the card...

so basically, take a spot reading or handheld reading at the card, then set the exposure to this reading and then take a custom WB...

or just use a grey card cause there is less chance of its exposure being blown...

or you can shoot tethered... then manually set WB as seen from your computer screen... subsequent shots will be taken at this WB value :)

he means to set the exposure based on the lighting on the card only, not the lighting on the whole scene... thing is, if the exposure is based on the entire scene, then there is a chance, especially with a white card, that the exposure which might be ok for the entire scene might be too much for taking a WB off the card...

so basically, take a spot reading or handheld reading at the card, then set the exposure to this reading and then take a custom WB...

or just use a grey card cause there is less chance of its exposure being blown...

or you can shoot tethered... then manually set WB as seen from your computer screen... subsequent shots will be taken at this WB value :)

thanks for explanation.
i got it.:)

grey card..was wondering if the GM grayscale card grey panel will do the trick too?
i dunno.cos WB to me a very sensitive issue.abit off and trained eyes can spot it very easily.

tethered means link camera to desktop, so once you shoot, it will immediately be transfered?
i dont have the WT2(?) wireless transmitter wor.and at $1k+, i think it's kind of waste of $:dunno: :embrass:

thanks for explanation.
i got it.:)

grey card..was wondering if the GM grayscale card grey panel will do the trick too?
i dunno.cos WB to me a very sensitive issue.abit off and trained eyes can spot it very easily.

tethered means link camera to desktop, so once you shoot, it will immediately be transfered?
i dont have the WT2(?) wireless transmitter wor.and at $1k+, i think it's kind of waste of $:dunno: :embrass:
Your gretag macbeth white balance card is 18% gray on the surface right? so how come like that has become a mystery liao.

anyway, you said you sensitive about color goes off, so shouldn't be any problem correct it back right?

you can use Nikon camera control software to shoot tethered, the cable is come with your D200, but software need to buy, so you can mount the camera on tripod, click the shutter via clicking on the mouse, so no more complaining about hand pain leg pain backside pain already.

Your gretag macbeth white balance card is 18% gray on the surface right? so how come like that has become a mystery liao.

anyway, you said you sensitive about color goes off, so shouldn't be any problem correct it back right?

you can use Nikon camera control software to shoot tethered, the cable is come with your D200, but software need to buy, so you can mount the camera on tripod, click the shutter via clicking on the mouse, so no more complaining about hand pain leg pain backside pain already.

no, the GM WB card is white in color.next time i shoot then i show u.no18% gray at all.
the only gray i have is the GM grayscale card which comes in 3 panels, white, black and gray.

i uploaded the pics yesterday.1600 raw pics in all.took me more than 2 hours just to scroll through them, and even my computer had 4GB of ram, lightroom reported an error of not enough memory.:cry:

cable?
1)too short
2)when i move around, i may forget it is link to my pc and in the end pc will land on the floor
3)i hate cables
4)no doubt can fire with mouse, but composition?zoom in out?height?angle?perspective?
i dont see how it can be done unless i am shooting passport photos?:dunno:

no, the GM WB card is white in color.next time i shoot then i show u.no18% gray at all.
the only gray i have is the GM grayscale card which comes in 3 panels, white, black and gray.

i uploaded the pics yesterday.1600 raw pics in all.took me more than 2 hours just to scroll through them, and even my computer had 4GB of ram, lightroom reported an error of not enough memory.:cry:

cable?
1)too short
2)when i move around, i may forget it is link to my pc and in the end pc will land on the floor
3)i hate cables
4)no doubt can fire with mouse, but composition?zoom in out?height?angle?perspective?
i dont see how it can be done unless i am shooting passport photos?:dunno:
i see, I so think is your white card to overexpose liao.

you very can leh, 1600 pics for portraiture in one day, is your model still alive? :sweat:

oK, hear about studio stand? maybe you can try that. ;p

you very can leh, 1600 pics for portraiture in one day, is your model still alive? :sweat:

end of the day, her makeup already caked even in a/c room.

tired for all.but all worth the effort.:thumbsup:
other than my WB.argh!
;(

Sorry to OT a bit but is it your own studio? Am looking for a studio to rent by the hour. Looked at a few but didn't like them so wondering if you can share details of the studio you used, if it is a rental one. If its your own, then I won't ask you for the details. TIA!

Sorry to OT a bit but is it your own studio? Am looking for a studio to rent by the hour. Looked at a few but didn't like them so wondering if you can share details of the studio you used, if it is a rental one. If its your own, then I won't ask you for the details. TIA!
she is using her own house, as home studio.

there are many people ranting out their studio in service offered and wanted, you may check it out there, btw, you mention don't like them what you have encounter so far, as in what? size? location? equipments? rates?

she is using her own house, as home studio.

there are many people ranting out their studio in service offered and wanted, you may check it out there, btw, you mention don't like them what you have encounter so far, as in what? size? location? equipments? rates?

Basically the size of their studios. Most of them not long enough to shoot a full length portrait using say, a 85mm lens.

Sorry TS, don't mean to intrude on your privacy!

Basically the size of their studios. Most of them not long enough to shoot a full length portrait using say, a 85mm lens.

There are some studios big enough to use 85 for a full length, but with a higher price tag, you may post a thread in service offered and wanted forum to seek for studios.

I also think she had over-exposed the card. And 1600 shots.. man, I'd give up at 400 - 500... hahahah

no worries at all.
ya, mine is my own room.

are you quite sure rented studios aint big enough to shoot full length?i tot usually rented studios are bigger than home studio, longer and have higher ceilings?

:dunno:

I also think she had over-exposed the card. And 1600 shots.. man, I'd give up at 400 - 500... hahahah

gals more patient than guys mah;)

no worries at all.
ya, mine is my own room.

are you quite sure rented studios aint big enough to shoot full length?i tot usually rented studios are bigger than home studio, longer and have higher ceilings?

:dunno:
you are indirectly telling people that your room is very big, bigger than the studio I'm using now. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

you are indirectly telling people that your room is very big, bigger than the studio I'm using now. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=234507

check out my first post.
i didnt say my room is small:sticktong
honestly,if i do not have this kind of space, i would not have even thought of setting up my own home or room studio.
even with the size of the room, i still have problems like tripping over my bed, no place to put down softbox and such...:cry:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=234507

check out my first post.
i didnt say my room is small:sticktong
honestly,if i do not have this kind of space, i would not have even thought of setting up my own home or room studio.
even with the size of the room, i still have problems like tripping over my bed, no place to put down softbox and such...:cry:
sorry, can't remember you post this, indeed it is huge. you bed must be very big too.

sorry, can't remember you post this, indeed it is huge. you bed must be very big too.

king size bed lor.

aiya.no space is enough in space restricted sgp.

catch,

just curious, expodisc in studio how to use?i point at the lights at WHERE the subject is and fire for custom WB or i point it directly at the softbox and fire?
my friend uses a expodisc and he curse by it.more often than not in studio, he told me it will get a 'no good' reading.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.