White Balance correction - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfasdfadsf

Apr 9, 2003
sg, UK, FL
Visit site
Hi,
its quite often for me (and probably many others) to forgot the switch back the white balance after using the camera.

When the white balance is wrong, how do we correct it back? I had been using PS for all the other modifications, but donno how to correct WB.

thks

I usually use "Auto Color". But sometimes the results are not accurate. In this case, I would use the channel mixer.

There's the colour balance tool, there's levels, there's curves. Use the dropper tool on a middle grey area for quick results in the levels and curves tools.

My try, :embrass:

whitebalance_before.jpg

whitebalance_after.jpg

This is my flow,

1. Select Adjustments from the Image Menu, click on Levels.
2. From the Level Dialog box, do the following,

• Click on the Set Black Point eyedropper to set the black point in your picture
  • Click on the Set White Point eyedropper to set the white point in the picture
  • Click on the Set Gray Point eyedropper to set the gray point in your picture

3. Click Ok
4. Insert Curves Adjustment Layer to adjust the brightness and contrast.
5. USM

Not sure if this is ok. :sweat:

Can i know whats USM??

togu said:
My try, :embrass:

whitebalance_before.jpg

whitebalance_after.jpg

This is my flow,

1. Select Adjustments from the Image Menu, click on Levels.
2. From the Level Dialog box, do the following,

• Click on the Set Black Point eyedropper to set the black point in your picture
  • Click on the Set White Point eyedropper to set the white point in the picture
  • Click on the Set Gray Point eyedropper to set the gray point in your picture

3. Click Ok
4. Insert Curves Adjustment Layer to adjust the brightness and contrast.
5. USM

Not sure if this is ok. :sweat:

asdfasdfadsf said:
Hi,
its quite often for me (and probably many others) to forgot the switch back the white balance after using the camera.

When the white balance is wrong, how do we correct it back? I had been using PS for all the other modifications, but donno how to correct WB.

thks

Me too... I think u can try manual wb nect time if your cam have this function. If I am not wrong (for my cam C750), manual WB is set by exposure on a white card.

Abit OT here, but jus wanna say hi!
i found the picture veryyyyy familiar and then i go check out the website! n it's you!!!, hahaha.
btw, i am chengli here the guy whom you met upz at hougang b4 flying off Scotland if you still rem me =p

hope you have a nice time there!, i ready miss the place!
enjoy =p

K back to topic, i think mainly your picture is too 'cold'
from my point of view it's hard to get back the orginal colours, cause wat is lost is lost, unless you shoot in raw format, this is the best tat i can managed:

compare.jpg

orginal on left, tourch upz right

Workflow:

(i want to add more warm to the photo cause of the WB off)
1.create new layer set to softlight
2.paint over with a orange colour(sort of like applying a 81series warm filter to your image)
3.curves:blue channel, pull down the blue curve(The coldness still needs to be reduce)
got the above image, the colours in general is pretty acceptable but still we have some probs:
a.colour cast on the sky
b.blues edges on blown out areas(which is hard to ammend cause i can see tat in your rightly wb pic, the edges are not well define and clear also)
anywei, i did the below:

hummm, got some prob to load my photo....
anywei i shall type first then:

correection for colour cast esp for the sky:
easy, go to level, click the white point on the sky, now the sky is white.

correction for blue spot for edges:
this is pretty hard for me, i apply a 'replace colour' select the blur spots and reduce the hue of it to dark colours. repeat this as necessary to most of the blue spots.

image is wat i deem better, but is getting 'dead' cause of colour tones lost through the process.
since it a digital cam, view it after taking the photo and switch the white balance back??? else take in raw, but well the file sizee....

once agin, enjoy your stay there, I miss george square=p
cheers =p

compare3.jpg

as can see the 3 tip edges is better so is the white tites which had the blue cast, can repeat the process(the last step) a few more times to better it, maybe it's my PS skill, but I feel it hard to get it as well as it should be, and like i say image look 'dead'.
try to shoot it correctly if possible=p
ya of course it never hurt to apply some USM, jud didn't show it here as it wouldn't imrpove your wb prob
cheers =p

ace2001 said:
hummm, got some prob to load my photo....
anywei i shall type first then:

correection for colour cast esp for the sky:
easy, go to level, click the white point on the sky, now the sky is white.

correction for blue spot for edges:
this is pretty hard for me, i apply a 'replace colour' select the blur spots and reduce the hue of it to dark colours. repeat this as necessary to most of the blue spots.

image is wat i deem better, but is getting 'dead' cause of colour tones lost through the process.
since it a digital cam, view it after taking the photo and switch the white balance back??? else take in raw, but well the file sizee....

once agin, enjoy your stay there, I miss george square=p
cheers =p

HI ace,
are you the ace from NTU INSTEP STRATHCLYDE???

asdfasdfadsf said:
HI ace,
are you the ace from NTU INSTEP STRATHCLYDE???

hi tjhere, see my above msg=p
ace2001 said:
Abit OT here, but jus wanna say hi!
i found the picture veryyyyy familiar and then i go check out the website! n it's you!!!, hahaha.
btw, i am chengli here the guy whom you met upz at hougang b4 flying off Scotland if you still rem me =p

hope you have a nice time there!, i ready miss the place!
enjoy =p

Ya i am, cheers!!!, how are you, hope you enjoy your time there!!!
how i miss the autumn leaves =p

cheers =p

Status
Not open for further replies.