whistle-blowing

liquidhouse

Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
I have a question which I hope to seek some expertise. How does one whistle-blow on their colleague(s) in a private, unlisted company besides telling their bosses and letting the whole world know abt it? It's something like the recent bicycle case at NParks. Thx.

I have a question which I hope to seek some expertise. How does one whistle-blow on their colleague(s) in a private, unlisted company besides telling their bosses and letting the whole world know abt it? It's something like the recent bicycle case at NParks. Thx.

just do it.

Let the owner(s) know. It's their money that is being used wrongly or wasted.

In bigger companies, there are hotlines for employees to call. In local companies, you have to follow the chain of command, ie tell your superior who in turn should inform his boss, etc. But I would just pull the most senior HR person I can trust to the room of the most senior head of department you can trust and let loose the issue there. By having more than 1 party at the scene is important. By going to someone you can trust is important as you can hear from them their perspective on this issue before it gets blown out of proportion.

Sometimes telling the bosses of the person in question may not help as the boss might shield him/her. Also going straight to the top may also not help as he will most likely delegate to someone else to investigate which will then trickle down to others whom you may not want to be involved.

Only you would know the relationships of people in your organization. You need to determine the best course of action. Whistle blowers often take the risk of unnecessary danger. If the management wants to shield the person in question, you become the target of the firing squad instead. So be prepared else just play dumb and deaf like so many before you.

Last edited:
ya, must consider the repercussion.
don't be a Nike as what kei suggests. LOL

ya, must consider the repercussion.
don't be a Nike as what kei suggests. LOL

well, you either do it or you don't. simple as that.

if you've evaluated that it's safe, then proceed. but if you know that it's detrimental to your stay in the firm, then be prepared to leave once you've blown the whistle.

Sell to wanbao and get fitty dollar.

If it's suspected bribery, cpib can be involved.

Whistle blow has a certain frame work in most established organization. It is confidential. Having said that, as long as human is involved, nothing is confidential.

If your action is for the good of everybody and genuine, you should do it. If you cannot afford to loose your job, think twice. Sometimes things just do t work as promised. When you got the prawn and the big fish behind got away, it is pay back time. That is life.