Whicn Lense Next?

It depends on what you want to achieve. If DOF and perspective do not matter and you r just lazy to walk, cropping it to DX saves the time cropping during post-processing. Else, just walking nearer to the subject would ensure that DOF and perspective remain unchanged.

As for the second question, like I told u try not to ditch the 24-85 coz it's really a good lens with very useful focal lengths of 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm. If u really need to ditch, the 18-35 would be a lightweight replacement, albeit trading VR for wider angle. For me personally, I would have retained the services of the 24-85 for generic shooting and use the 50 prime for low light. Then for wide-angle landscapes, I would save up to buy the Sigma 12-24mm since 24mm is tight for wide-angle landscapes. Ultimately, the decision to buy what lenses still depends on your priority: buying to fulfill the focal range gap or buying to fulfill the types of usage?

Thanks. Maybe it is good to have multiple lenses for different purposes. I used to have 3 primes , 40 f2 and 2 x 50 f2 just for different purposes and effect. Perhaps the 24-85 can co-exist with either the 16-35 or the 24-70.

Hi TS,

I have used 24-70 f2.8, 18-35 and also 16-35.
In terms of focusing speed, 24-70 is the fastest and it has largest aperture. (I also think it's the sharpest among 3).
16-35 and 18-35 IQs are really comparable. (almost the same).

Since you said "While I liked the 24-85's weight, beginning to feel its limitation in terms of speed and low light capability."
=> 24-70 is the answer for you i guess, in terms of speed and low-light capability. The only con is the weight. :)

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks Andy. What is in your bag now? Does the weight of the 24-70 bother you much?

It all happened pretty quick. As usual, the kids were just walking around as they played with the toys on the floor. Then he turned around and I got ready, and the next thing he does is looked straight into the lens and his fingers touched the hood, and the result is what you see in the pic.

At f/4, the bokeh looks alright still.

The bokeh looks creamy. Have to expect that from a pro lens. :)

Thanks Andy. What is in your bag now? Does the weight of the 24-70 bother you much?

No the weight is still fine for me bro. But I have sold them due to personal reason => I wanted to use only primes.

Here is what I am using now.
24mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G, 60mm f2.8G and 70-200mm f2.8G.
http://andykyaw.weebly.com/tools.html

Cheers,
Andy

No the weight is still fine for me bro. But I have sold them due to personal reason => I wanted to use only primes.

Here is what I am using now.
24mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G, 60mm f2.8G and 70-200mm f2.8G.
http://andykyaw.weebly.com/tools.html

Cheers,
Andy

wow ... the purist! Not easy and you still have the pressure to at least get a photo from whatever you have. In terms of the OOF area, can't beat prime lenses though, the zoom - prime trade off.

From whatever you have, looks fairly complete although personally I will feel a little 'insecure' without a 35 or 50. I don't know how I can live with just the 50 previously ... technology does numb the senses.

wow ... the purist! Not easy and you still have the pressure to at least get a photo from whatever you have. In terms of the OOF area, can't beat prime lenses though, the zoom - prime trade off.

From whatever you have, looks fairly complete although personally I will feel a little 'insecure' without a 35 or 50. I don't know how I can live with just the 50 previously ... technology does numb the senses.

I just got a 50mm f1.8G from MS colour 2 days ago bro.
Forget to add it in my list :) (forgot i hv it, still in the golden box. lol)

TS, might I suggest you go to Nikon showroom to try out the different lenses and have a feel of the focusing speed? It's not exactly "real world" situation, but it might give you some idea to start narrowing down your shortlist.

I have a feeling the upcoming 35/1.8 FX might suit your needs... just a guess.

see what are u planing to shoot. landscape, people ? also see which focal length u always should prime is not a back choice as prime is lighter unless u shoot event u no need 24-70. as take ur time to compose ur shot....50 in full frame is good enough ....use ur leg to zoom in zoom out lor

coz for low light nothing beats primes

The bokeh looks creamy. Have to expect that from a pro lens. :)

Yes, there's good reason that it is part of the 'trinity'. I find that I need the grip on the D610. It balances out the weight of the heavy glass. but everything else is light once you're used to the weight of the 80-200/2.8.

TS, might I suggest you go to Nikon showroom to try out the different lenses and have a feel of the focusing speed? It's not exactly "real world" situation, but it might give you some idea to start narrowing down your shortlist.

I have a feeling the upcoming 35/1.8 FX might suit your needs... just a guess.

Thanks. Will probably do that

see what are u planing to shoot. landscape, people ? also see which focal length u always should prime is not a back choice as prime is lighter unless u shoot event u no need 24-70. as take ur time to compose ur shot....50 in full frame is good enough ....use ur leg to zoom in zoom out lor

coz for low light nothing beats primes

Mainly family and landscape. Current 50 a tad slow. Also the convenience of a zoom is proving to be irresistible for me.

For certain landscape shot, can't replicate the effect of ultra wide angle with the 50.

Yes, there's good reason that it is part of the 'trinity'. I find that I need the grip on the D610. It balances out the weight of the heavy glass. but everything else is light once you're used to the weight of the 80-200/2.8.

That's what I thought as well.

Mainly family and landscape. Current 50 a tad slow. Also the convenience of a zoom is proving to be irresistible for me.

For certain landscape shot, can't replicate the effect of ultra wide angle with the 50.

ya lor get a ultra wide angle for landscape... both 18-35 and 16-35 both are good lens...i'm using 18-35mm best lens for the price also it abit sharper than 16-35...the only trade off is the 2mm shorter... see ur budget lor...both lens will never goes wrong...

ya lor get a ultra wide angle for landscape... both 18-35 and 16-35 both are good lens...i'm using 18-35mm best lens for the price also it abit sharper than 16-35...the only trade off is the 2mm shorter... see ur budget lor...both lens will never goes wrong...

Can you share how you derive at your conclusion that the 18-35mm is "abit sharper" than the 16-35mm please. Thanks

Hi, like to pick your thoughts? Entered the FX gear with D600, 24-85 VR ... added a 50 1.8G ... latest addition a 80-200 2.8. While I liked the 24-85's weight, beginning to feel its limitation in terms of speed and low light capability. I have also been keen to look at ultra wide angle, although I have not had one and am not sure if I will use it much. The camera is mainly for family (including camera shy kids) and landscape (travel). Question: Torn between 24-70 2.8 (and either ditch or consign the 2485 VR to back of cabinet) or get a 16-35 f4. Any suggestion(s)?

Get 14-24 lor

Can you share how you derive at your conclusion that the 18-35mm is "abit sharper" than the 16-35mm please. Thanks

haha base on review online and DXO.. but just compare the price lor...is u want a better bulid and wider go for the 16-35mm... vr more for video...else get the 18-35 at half the price...lighter

Get 14-24 lor

+1 for 14-24 f/2.8 :thumbsup:
This is an uniquely and sharp ultra wide angle lens for full frame dslr, which other brand cannot produce till date.

Get 14-24 lor

The lens that I have always preferred over the 16-35mm f/4! TS didn't include it for consideration, so I assumed that he / she dropped it off the list. Otherwise, it's the 14-24mm f/2.8 FTW.

hi TS
just to share ... I use to shoot 24-70/2.8 ... it's AF is tack fast and image is sharp. I like it becos it didn't have VR which will affect your AF.
I sold it for primes many months back.
in terms of low light and sharpness, nothing beats prime but you need to plan and move a lot if you have just one body and many primes.

now my collection is Nikon 24/2.8, sigma 35/1.4, nikon 85/1.4G, Nikon 70-200:2.8G and Nikon 200-400/4G.

my widest now is merely 24mm and I use stitching in CS for Panarama shooting, and had turn out pretty well.

16-35/4 is sharp and light but distortion is pretty bad. I will pass this lens and get 14-24.