Which Zooms have good bokeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oryzain

Jan 16, 2007
South Buona Vista
Hi Just wanted to know from you pros out there, if a) there are zoom lenses with bokeh comparable to primes? b) what gets zooms to give good bokeh besides high f values?

To blur off your background...
1) Large aperature size
2) Long focal length
3) Smaller subject to camera distance / larger subject to background distance

Sony/minolta 70-200 F 2.8 G SSM. The best bokeh of any zoom lens.

Does the TS know what he is asking about?

Is the question not clear to you or you do not know the answer? :angry:

Is the question not clear to you or you do not know the answer? :angry:

You didn't even describe what kind of bokeh you looking for. Whether a bokeh is considered "good" is very subjective, and you didn't even mention what camera mount you are looking for.

Hi Just wanted to know from you pros out there, if a) there are zoom lenses with bokeh comparable to primes? b) what gets zooms to give good bokeh besides high f values?

I'd say 70-200. Regardless of f/2.8 or f/4, they've excellent bokeh.

With disregard to camera brand or model, the zoomz which will give you more bokeh would be from the f2.8 group in the 70/80-200 mm range, and up to f4 in the 300-400mm range.

The 'secret' to creamy soft and smooth bokeh would be a larger number of apeture blades that form a more concentric and 'perfect' circle. For example, 5 blades form a pentagon, while the professional or luxury series of lenses tend to feature 8 or more blades to get closer to that 'perfect' circle. If you're familiar with the mechanical construction of multi-blade apetures, you'll realise that it's a trade off as incorporating too many blades would complicate construction and increase cost. There may also be issues with the consistency of the blades closing down if too many blades are used.

Hope this helps.

With disregard to camera brand or model, the zoomz which will give you more bokeh would be from the f2.8 group in the 70/80-200 mm range, and up to f4 in the 300-400mm range.

I find Canon's 70-200 f/2.8 and f/4 lenses having excellent bokeh. But the new f/4 IS is slightly better due to its circular aperture blades. All lenses have 8 blades.

Its not a zoom but its my favourite, 135mm f/2L. Bokeh is nice and creamy.

Its not a zoom but its my favourite, 135mm f/2L. Bokeh is nice and creamy.

Used to have that before, but the bokeh not as beautiful as the pentax 77mm.:think:

Would be much better if you specify a mount.

I believe the f-stop, focal length and the number of aperture blades will give good bokeh. For canon zoom, 70-200 f2.8 wide open will give one of the best bokeh IMO

I believe the f-stop, focal length and the number of aperture blades will give good bokeh. For canon zoom, 70-200 f2.8 wide open will give one of the best bokeh IMO

There is one characteristic of the lens that is important for bokeh but not quanitified in the specs -- spherical abberation.

BC

canon 85mm 1.2L....nikkor 85mm 1.4...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.