Which zoom lens to use with Pentax digitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
Which zoom lens should I get and why? I will almost never need anything wider, and will on occassions need something close to a 100mm in 35mm equivalent.

1. Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
2. Sigma AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC

These 2 lens are way different in price. I bought my Pentax one at $270. I believe the Sigma f2.8 one cost abt $600.

How is the performance of the Pentax lens? I read some positive reviews about it, no CA, value for money etc. I did come across some positive comments about the Sigma, and some not so nice comments about CA at the widest focal length, but most were very positive about the sharpness.

Parchiao said:
How is the performance of the Pentax lens? I read some positive reviews about it, no CA, value for money etc. I did come across some positive comments about the Sigma, and some not so nice comments about CA at the widest focal length, but most were very positive about the sharpness.

Heard the 18-55 is value for money, better than the 350's kit and maybe equivalent to the D50's.

The sigma 18-50 imho is slightly soft at 2.8 and best used from f4 and up. Used to have this lens in nikon mount. However I note the AF was kinda noisy which sort of like defeat the purpose of getting it, i.e. shooting at 2.8 in seminars at speakers. However, 2.8 is 2.8 and when u need it, its there.

For 480-500+ u might consider the 16-45/4, as it gives u 24 wide and some have tested it to be as good as primes over its focal range.

xdivider said:
Heard the 18-55 is value for money, better than the 350's kit and maybe equivalent to the D50's.

The sigma 18-50 imho is slightly soft at 2.8 and best used from f4 and up. Used to have this lens in nikon mount. However I note the AF was kinda noisy which sort of like defeat the purpose of getting it, i.e. shooting at 2.8 in seminars at speakers. However, 2.8 is 2.8 and when u need it, its there.

For 480-500+ u might consider the 16-45/4, as it gives u 24 wide and some have tested it to be as good as primes over its focal range.

I have tried the 16-45/4, but what I did not like is that the lens extends out by a fair bit when the widest focal length is used. However, my options are not closed on the two Pentax zooms.

How noisy is the 18-50/2.8? Does the focussing sound like it is having seizures or does it just emit the zip sounds, like compact cameras? My photography is mainly with my family, as such a little noise is fine. For this lens, I do plan to use it anywhere from f4 and up, and only occassionaly at apertures wider than that.

Parchiao said:
I have tried the 16-45/4, but what I did not like is that the lens extends out by a fair bit when the widest focal length is used. However, my options are not closed on the two Pentax zooms.

How noisy is the 18-50/2.8? Does the focussing sound like it is having seizures or does it just emit the zip sounds, like compact cameras? My photography is mainly with my family, as such a little noise is fine. For this lens, I do plan to use it anywhere from f4 and up, and only occassionaly at apertures wider than that.

If u have used Sigma's 70-300, it has a similiar metal scratching, screeching sound but a lot worse than the 18-50. Another possibility is the FA20-35/4 if u can find it 2nd hand anywhere.

If i buy a Sigma 18-200mm or 18-125mm lense, my Pentax 18-55mm lense will be put aside & not used i guess. :think: Should i just put it aside or shall i sell it away. It's rather new so should be able to sell it for some money... just that i wonder should i... :dunno:

wrx_sti_22b said:
If i buy a Sigma 18-200mm or 18-125mm lense, my Pentax 18-55mm lense will be put aside & not used i guess. :think: Should i just put it aside or shall i sell it away. It's rather new so should be able to sell it for some money... just that i wonder should i... :dunno:

I would keep it. There will be times when you want a light and compact zoom, which this is. The 16-45 is a better lens - it's in a different price class too. But it is also too heavy to lug around routinely in my opinion. The 18-55 is excellent for what it is, and much easier to carry around when you want something that is not too conspicuous.

I don't know the Sigmas you mention, but I imagine they must be quite a bit bigger, and covering that range I would guess not quite as good - or am I wrong about that?

Tim

timo said:
I don't know the Sigmas you mention, but I imagine they must be quite a bit bigger, and covering that range I would guess not quite as good - or am I wrong about that?

Tim

The Sigma 18-125mm is abt the same size as Pentax 18-55mm. As light too. As for performace, i'm not too sure myself.

I guess you are right, keeping it is better. May regret after i sold it.

Loads and loads of *istD samples with Pentax, Tamron and Sigma lenses in this link.

wrx_sti_22b said:
The Sigma 18-125mm ..... As for performace, i'm not too sure myself.

:thumbsd:
a lot of pincushion distortion except at the very wide focal length end; and

significant light fall-off from centre to edge (Adobe Raw Converter vignette setting at about 15 usually)

I'm looking to replace mine.

Apart from the 18-55 Pentax Kit lens, I also bought a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro.
I tried it and it works well but then again I'm new at this. I think likely this will be too low end for Parchiao? :)

I like the Kit lens though. it keeps the camera light which is why I bought the Pentax in the first place...zoom not as good as I was very used to my x12 zoom Panasonic FZ7 previously!

The DA 50-200 can be had in Malaysia for RM699, I think. Some months ago I saw a shop in Midvalley, KL, displaying the item with that price.

The Sigma 18-125 has significant light falloff, but at least it's sharp in the corners even at wide open. Which puts it ahead of any of the 18-200 in the market (except the Nikkor). After all, falloff is easier to correct than lack of sharpness in the corners!

Sigma 18-50/2.8 I'm not too keen. It's not very sharp wide-open, from the samples I've seen. Rather wait for Pentax's own DA 16-50/2.8. Or go with the very nice Sigma 17-70. I wonder how the Zeiss 16-80 T* will fare.

airconvent :kok: parchiao

I think the best lens that I have used on the DS is the 16-45mm. Not that other lenses are bad or anything like that, but the combination seems to work very well.

ha ha Parchio..okey okey...:)
i read somewhere if paying more is not an option, the kit lens is pretty decent unlike the one that came with the C**** 350D. so far that is my only choice...heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.