Which would make a good and light walk-about lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi fellow Pentaxian bros! I just got myself a blue K-X for my birthday and is now contemplating to get one prime lens to use as a general walk-about lens. I have a GF1 with 20mm F1.7 pancake so I am hoping to buy a lens which is about the same focal and speed as the 20mm pancake as I have gotten quite use to and really like the 40mm (35mm equivalent) focal length and also the fast F1.7.

After reading up on the web, I have shortlisted 3 lenses which might be able to fulfill my need. I want to seek your opinions/advices on which one of them would be most suitable for my needs? Most importantly it must be lightweight and fast (for low-light shooting). Image quality don't need to be the best but hopefully at least as good as the Panny 20mm.

My 3 shortlisted lenses:
1) SMC Pentax DA 40MM F2.8 LIMITED
2) SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2.0 AL
3) SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4

Last edited:
No need to think... FA 31mm Ltd :D

Most importantly it must be lightweight and fast.

My 3 shortlisted lenses:
1) SMC Pentax DA 40MM F2.8 LIMITED
2) SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2.0 AL
3) SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4

Out of the 3 lens you've shortlisted, I've only used the DA40mm before. I really like the build quality and size. It definately meets your requirement of a lightweight and fast lens. Its a very small and sharp lens. The corner to corner sharpness and bokeh is outstanding. Focusing speed is very fast! :)

Last edited:
FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited in silver or black. :thumbsup:

Not sure whether this is within your budget if you can stretch it => FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
It's got the perfect focal length, great max aperture, and is pancake in size.

You can even use it on film slr and *gasp* Pentax FF dSLRs in future.

My vote goes to the FA35/2.
Good walk around focal length. Fast aperture. Sharp even wide open at f2.
Used to be real cheap too...

Aren't all of the above not wide enough for a everyday walk-about lens on a 1.5x crop factor camera such as the K-x?

Bro, I read about this lens, it seems pretty good for my purpose. I am leaning more towards the 35mm f2.0 and 40mm f2.8 now. I know 40mm f2.8 is around $570 to 600 but what about the 35mm f2.0? Any idea how much it costs now?

My vote goes to the FA35/2.
Good walk around focal length. Fast aperture. Sharp even wide open at f2.
Used to be real cheap too...

i think they should be sufficient for my purpose. I use the 20mm F1.7 on my GF1 (2x crop factor) which makes it 40mm and I find it pretty fine. I shoot more of people and cats.

Aren't all of the above not wide enough for a everyday walk-about lens on a 1.5x crop factor camera such as the K-x?

35mm should be ok as walk-about lens in crop sesor.
Not wide enough?
Then can also consider sigma 30mm f1.4 also.

20mm on a GF1 is 40mm on a full frame, which is about 27mm on a 1.5x cropped sensor.

I prefer the Pentax 35mm F2.0 as the Sigma one is quite big and heavy if I am not wrong..

35mm should be ok as walk-about lens in crop sesor.
Not wide enough?
Then can also consider sigma 30mm f1.4 also.

Ya I guess the DA 21mm F3.2 would be good choice in terms of focal length but the F3.2 is abit slow for my usage. Coz I shoot quite often at dusk or night.

20mm on a GF1 is 40mm on a full frame, which is about 27mm on a 1.5x cropped sensor.

How much is this lens selling now? Read many good things about it.

FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited in silver or black. :thumbsup:

Not sure whether this is within your budget if you can stretch it => FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
It's got the perfect focal length, great max aperture, and is pancake in size.

You can even use it on film slr and *gasp* Pentax FF dSLRs in future.

Get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 lah .......................... it should work beautifully on your KX. :)

TS, want to ask what kind of photos do you usually take?

If you like the Panny 20mm, light and fast is only half of the equation. All the lenses you have shortlisted are 52.5mm, 60mm, and 75mm (35mm equivalent) - the shortest focal length is still 12.5mm more than your 40mm favorite focal length.

The fov will be smaller and tighter - 52.5mm is good for portraits but you'll get a shock when you want to take a tree and end up seeing branches inside the vf. I think you already know that... but you know like just in case. ;)

Would be nice if Pentax comes out with a DA 28mm..

Would be nice if Pentax comes out with a DA 28mm..

Would be nice if they have a super-duper-ultra-wide-but-within-budget DFA 14mm lens... imagine 21mm (35mm equivalent) view. I love those ultra wide photos. :)

They only have DA 14/f2.8 - no aperture ring, cannot use for film slr. -.-

Last edited:
Though not a Prime Lens, you may want to check this one out...

SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]

in 35mm equivalent terms the focal length works out to be 24-75mm which is truly a great range for a TRUE walk about everyday lens... and not that slow too! The IQ from this lens is great too... which is a big bonus! The colors and contrast are great too.

and then...

we have this one... another great Prime Lens... and reasonably fast too.

SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF] ... becomes 36mm... a bit short if you want to use it from portraits and close ups of cats though, but really a great everyday walkabout prime.

or perhaps...

SMC Pentax-M 35mm F1.4 - more like your focal length plus very fast... if you like doing things in manual mode though!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.