Which wireless Router to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Seeking from some experts here, which latest wireless router (Brand and model) to buy. I am on Maxonline and 3 Win PCs + 1 Apple Mini(with internal Airport), all in different rooms. :)

Canonised said:
Seeking from some experts here, which latest wireless router (Brand and model) to buy. I am on Maxonline and 3 Win PCs + 1 Apple Mini(with internal Airport), all in different rooms. :)

i'm no expert here but Linksys is a good brand to get. Maybe during the IT fair would have some packages/bundles available..

linksys :thumbsup:

I like netgear's administrative interface better.. used linksys prior to this, no complaints either. Belkin is not bad. If you have a lot of money... Apple Airport Express lah ;)

Go get the Linksys Gateway from Starhub, which is a modem and router combo in a box, so that you have less boxes and less wiring - you have got inuf wiring all over like maggie mee liao.

I am also going to get it, but dunno how reliable or how good it is still as this gear is still relatively new. Now still using a Linksys router for 2 years plus without any problem.

Seems that many ppl recommend linksys....

Ok Canonised, u've got a couple of choices (not in order of merit):
1) Linksys
2) Netgear
3) SMC
4) D-Link
5) Buffalo
6) Belkin

These are the commonly used household routers with Buffalo being the least common. Ppl recommend linksys primarily due to their popularity, many parts and accessories are available for it.

SMC and D-Link probably not as popularly rated even though they are cheap.

The most uncommon brands are Buffalo and Belkin. Belkin is one of the newest player to the WLAN market here. But it comes with a lifetime warranty. Interface wise, I haven't personally tried it. But accessories might be harder to find compared to linksys.

As for Buffalo which I own, finding accessories are like mining diamonds in Singapore, its a US brand. Whilst the interface may not be absolutely friendly, it actually offers more control and choices where wireless security is concerned.

And regardless which brand of router u bought, PLEAAAASSSSEEEE SECURE UR ROUTER. I can't stress this enuff.

user111 said:
linksys :thumbsup:
Seems obvious that linksys is the popular choice .... but which model to get? My last one was the WEF11S4 but was told that it doesn't work with the Apple (?) and Starhub online help insisted that my linksys is spoilt after a few question so need to get a new one at Sitex....

Belkin's support is much better than Linksys or Netgear

Canonised said:
Seems obvious that linksys is the popular choice .... but which model to get? My last one was the WEF11S4 but was told that it doesn't work with the Apple (?) and Starhub online help insisted that my linksys is spoilt after a few question so need to get a new one at Sitex....
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g shld be able to work with ur 'AirPorted' Mac without any need for configuration.

Just turn on airport on ur Mac, select the SSID of ur WLAN and wallah.

Earlier on, I do hear of some problems where WEP and WPA are concerned but with the latest software updates on Tiger, u shld be good to go.

there's no reason why any of these shouldn't work with the mac. really no reason at all.but in any case you have a couple of PCs right, you can always use those to set up the network. the mac will be able to join the network with no problem.

Benign said:
Using netgear now.....

But I was told to go for 3comm ?

I don't think 3com makes consumer level routers. But (I think) they own linksys now?

I would choose Creative modem, reasons as below:-
(Please bear in mind that I am not an expert so it is important that modem I buy must work on first try. Also, I don't work for Creative.)

1. Singapore Brand - good after sales service (my experience with other of their products)
2. Cost S$79 - one of the best value for money
3. Common encryption features - WEP, etc - Can use with PPC etc.
4. Really plug and play - don’t need to install drivers (I understand that for Linksys you need to do some installation for each PC.) You will still be required to go through the quick guide if you want to put password.
5. It is 802.11g.

All the best.

Cfan said:
I would choose Creative modem, reasons as below:-
(Please bear in mind that I am not an expert so it is important that modem I buy must work on first try. Also, I don't work for Creative.)

1. Singapore Brand - good after sales service (my experience with other of their products)
2. Cost S$79 - one of the best value for money
3. Common encryption features - WEP, etc - Can use with PPC etc.
4. Really plug and play - don’t need to install drivers (I understand that for Linksys you need to do some installation for each PC.) You will still be required to go through the quick guide if you want to put password.
5. It is 802.11g.

All the best.

i got a completely different perception from you...

1. Sg brand doesn't mean good after sales service... just imho... (lack of drivers for some device, and their bundled software are often buggy & resource hungry...)
2. Cost... best value, doesn't mean acceptable performance (anyway in the past i got the creative adsl modem, nothing but problems...)
3. Common encryption means its easier for ppl to hack...
4. Plug & Pray... i prayed previously, now i don't.. cos i switched...
5. I think threadstarter looking for router not modem... ;p

Linksys WRT54G / GS. Nuff said.

Accepts 3rd party firmware.

Acts as a linux box with a seriously amount of scary features unlocked.

As for DLink and netgear, i've used the 624+ router before and a netgear router currently @ work, though for a short while, i'm not impressed with very "basic" featureset and its not that powerful compared to the Linksys with tweakable power.

Creative? Stay well away from the brand. They're only good for 1 thing. Soundcards. Heck, i even stay away from their MP3 players :rolleyes: Don't expect their products to last if you leave it on 24/7.

1 last thing .. 2 antennas are always better than 1

Linksys SRX.. 3 antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.