which will you buy, O2 XDA Zinc or Dopod 838 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob

Deregistered
May 11, 2005
Former CS Senior Member
hi guys,

am looking for some inputs before deciding which to go for.

putting $, type of memory card and earphone jack aside, which one above would will you choose?

thanks in advance for any inputs. ;);)

I'd go for the 838P.

The O2 seems to have a lot of issues with the service centers (not as if Dopod's is any better....)

OT, but I got me a Glofiish M700..

Keypad + WM6 + WiFi + Bluetooth + GPS + FM tuner + 2MPix cam + MicroSD slot

Just my say.. ;)

OT, but I got me a Glofiish M700..

Keypad + WM6 + WiFi + Bluetooth + GPS + FM tuner + 2MPix cam + MicroSD slot

Just my say.. ;)

ahem....... pls stand aside. we're talking about o2 zinc and dopod la.:confused:

why? care to share? thanks.
Just a preference, heard a lot about O2s within first month, joining the queue already to service centre.

My friend's friend's O2 Atom Life, first week already visited the centre 4 times.

Although I heard that Dopod's service centre service is sucky, but the number of occurences have been less.

Another thing is that O2 doesn't seem to provide OS upgrades (ie: WM5->WM6) for their series. Dopod has provided an upgrade to WM6. That's what I read from ppcsg.com though.

Personally, using a D810, while my colleague uses a O2 Atom, and another colleague D810 too. Found them working great though (to my testing experience).

I'd go for the 838P.

The O2 seems to have a lot of issues with the service centers (not as if Dopod's is any better....)

Dopod service centre more suck & is worst in Singapore among the service centre I have visited.
I will never buy Dopod anymore

:thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:

ok . How about 1 vote for O2 Atom ?

838 Pro.

the slider is wayyyyy better then zinc. it doesn't feel wobbily when you slide the keyboard out.

838 Pro has HSDPA. Zinc doesn't have. and if you travel to the states often, the Dopod have an upper hand - it is quad band with GSM 1900MHz. Zinc doesn't have that.

838 Pro being a HTC made phone, have loads of 3rd party ROMs and applications built for it. Zinc loses out on that, flat.

But on the other hand, the Zinc has a faster processor. some people claim that it could play higher bitrate video. not too sure about that thou.

pls put htc aside. thanks anyway.

I believe there shouldn't be any diff between HTC and Dopod for now.

1st HTC manufacture Dopod Devices
2nd I remember reading the news that HTC nows own Dopod. (http://www.htc.com/press_room/03-press-070508a.htm)

For me, I will go for Dopod 838 Pro between the 2.

If you can wait, I will suggest the new upgrade version : HTC Kaiser . I believe its coming out mid/end this month.

My wife has used both the O2 & Dopod before (older versions) and both are giving her problem in terms of meeting her needs as a property agent & having to service the sets frequently. She gave up on both and started using a Sony Ericsson smart phone. Problem was resolved but some functions are still missing from the SE. She just bought the Dopod 838 Pro a couple of months back & is happy with it.

So I'll say that the Dopod 838 Pro is the way to go.

BTW, both service centres of the O2 & Dopod sucks. So doesn't really matter here.

I have one second one to sell BTW. PM me if interested. Cannot post details here.. not allowed.

838 Pro.

the slider is wayyyyy better then zinc. it doesn't feel wobbily when you slide the keyboard out.

838 Pro has HSDPA. Zinc doesn't have. and if you travel to the states often, the Dopod have an upper hand - it is quad band with GSM 1900MHz. Zinc doesn't have that.

838 Pro being a HTC made phone, have loads of 3rd party ROMs and applications built for it. Zinc loses out on that, flat.

But on the other hand, the Zinc has a faster processor. some people claim that it could play higher bitrate video. not too sure about that thou.

what is that 3rd party ROMs? ROMs means what?
i thot 3rd party applications should be fine since both using window mobile 5/6. is there anymore specific? also O2 does come with some O2 proprietry software but not 838P, am i right?
thanks for your input.

I believe there shouldn't be any diff between HTC and Dopod for now.

1st HTC manufacture Dopod Devices
2nd I remember reading the news that HTC nows own Dopod. (http://www.htc.com/press_room/03-press-070508a.htm)

For me, I will go for Dopod 838 Pro between the 2.

If you can wait, I will suggest the new upgrade version : HTC Kaiser . I believe its coming out mid/end this month.

probably not going to wait much longer since i don't chase for technology. 838pro seems good enough as compared to kaiser. heard about htc own dopod too. thanks!

My wife has used both the O2 & Dopod before (older versions) and both are giving her problem in terms of meeting her needs as a property agent & having to service the sets frequently. She gave up on both and started using a Sony Ericsson smart phone. Problem was resolved but some functions are still missing from the SE. She just bought the Dopod 838 Pro a couple of months back & is happy with it.

So I'll say that the Dopod 838 Pro is the way to go.

BTW, both service centres of the O2 & Dopod sucks. So doesn't really matter here.

you really push me a bit further for 838P. since both service center sucks, i'll keep my fingers cross for my set not to have any prob at all when get hold of it. thanks for your reply.;)

probably not going to wait much longer since i don't chase for technology. 838pro seems good enough as compared to kaiser. heard about htc own dopod too. thanks!

you really push me a bit further for 838P. since both service center sucks, i'll keep my fingers cross for my set not to have any prob at all when get hold of it. thanks for your reply.;)

Actually HTC was the main manufacturer for the O2, then the Dopod and now finally they are manufacturing under their old name.

HTC Touch is a bit sluggish when you start applications that are not running in the background already, apart from that still ok, but a bit small to hold. The HTC Kaiser seems not bad but then is not out in SG just yet.

O2 seems to have more ROM storage space (eg: Atom Life - 1GB ROM space) as compared to the Dopod's. 838P however, doesn't have GPS... so I didn't go for it. Somemore it was $100 more than the 810 at that time. So I stayed happy with the 810.

Only beneficial point I see about the 838P over the 810 is the keypad, however with some getting used to, I scribble pretty fast on the 810 now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.