Which wide angle to get?

tehtehsia

Jun 5, 2014
Singapore
Hello, I'm looking for a UWA for my OMD-EM10. I am on limited budget and am considering either the oly 9-18mm, samyang 12mm or samyang 7.5mm fisheye.

I'm looking to do some landscape photography for my upcoming trip to new zealand, and i find my existing 14-42mm kit lens not wide enough at times.

Any thoughts on whether it is worth defishing the 7.5mm for my wide angle shots (i'm not particularly interested in fisheye) or sticking to the 9-18mm. Also, how is the IQ for the 9-18mm?

Is the Samyang 10mm f/2.8 not available?

I've been using the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 fisheye lens along with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 for Nikon to do some landscape photos. Getting around a 135 Format equivalent of 16mm has been really good.

If there is budget constrain and you want to pack light, you can consider Samyang 7.5mm. It's also good for selfies but is a manual lens thou and you may want to defish during post processing.

i recommend the Samyang 7.5mm too, if you dont mind the fisheye effect

when i travel, the only lens i use is the Samyang when my wife uses the 20mm
the 45mm is in the bag but rarely take out

i dont defish

Hello, I'm looking for a UWA for my OMD-EM10. I am on limited budget and am considering either the oly 9-18mm, samyang 12mm or samyang 7.5mm fisheye.

I'm looking to do some landscape photography for my upcoming trip to new zealand, and i find my existing 14-42mm kit lens not wide enough at times.

Any thoughts on whether it is worth defishing the 7.5mm for my wide angle shots (i'm not particularly interested in fisheye) or sticking to the 9-18mm. Also, how is the IQ for the 9-18mm?

Perhaps these few threads on defishing of 7.5mm Samyang might be of use, if you are on a budget and don't mind some loss on the edges, and tweaking on post, then it might be for u.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3373069

With the prices of Panasonic 7-14mm coming down on BNS, it might be another option, certainly sharper than O9-18mm, which is decent but not excellent in optics. If O9-18 is what you deciding on, you can use it around F6.3-8 to get the best sharpness.
Here's a shot at F6.3, with O9-18mm in original size.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wonglp/14340431598/sizes/o/