Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy

Dec 21, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hello all,

This is my first post in ClubSnap!

Anyway, I'm looking for a wide angle converter for my 2 weeks old Nikon Coolpix 4500 but a little undecided which model to buy.

My choices are WC-E68, WC-E63 and WC-E24. I don't want to fall into the expensive-is-better trap by getting the WC-E68. As such, I would appreciate if someone could share her/his experience of the converter(s).

Also, what's the prevailing market price(s) for the converter(s). This would be a helpful piece of info because I'll be asking my sister, whom has no clue about photography, to get the converter for me.

Oh, almost forget, which of the above-mentioned converter accepts filter.

Thanks,
RM

Originally posted by mpenza
not on the wide-angle but if you need the teleconverter, you could consider getting from ckiang:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22808

Thanks mpenza!

Roy, if on budget, you can try the cheaper WC-E24. Should cost around $120. Otherwise, get the better (less distortion) WC-E63. Not sure how much it costs. List price is $220.

The WC-E24 doesn't take filters. The E63 takes 72mm filters IIRC.

Regards
CK

Hi Roy,

Welcome to ClupSNAP!

I am using the WC-E63 on my CP995 and I am so far very happy with it. While shopping for the convertor, I compared the WC-24 and the WC-E63 and preferred the lower barrel distortions of the E63. Both convertors give equal image quality.

Could not remember what price I got it for already, but am pretty sure it was lower than S$200, because I got both the TC-E2 and the WC-E63 for around $300. I got it from Cathay Photo during one of the SEED (CS member gathering for the specific purpose of executing our motto "BUY! BUY! BUY!") last year when I went back to Singapore.

- Roy

;)

Folks,

Thanks for the rather quick reply.

The E63 is what I'm looking for anyway. Just seeking second opinion. The 72 mm filter thread is an added bonus since most of my SLR lenses take 72 mm filters, if I'm not mistaken.

ckiang, if by end next week you still don't have a taker for the tele converter, I would be interested. Can't take it now cos I'll not in SG right now. Only be back on 31st.

Thanks,
RM

By the way, if you ever need to use a polarizer with the E63, I have tried using a 28mm sized polarizer between the E63 and the camera, and it seems to work pretty well.

ack.jpg

Welcome to ClubSNAP. :)

I'm using a WC-E24, which I purchased from Alan Photo at $110.

I like it because it's small, and very light, so I carry it everywhere.

The barrel distortion is very obvious, though sometimes, that's the look I want. One thing to note is that, if you use a filter on your Coolpix lens, you must remove the filter before attaching the E24, if not vignetting will occur. I'm using a Hoya HMC UV filter, which is pretty thin, but it still has this problem.

For me, I don't see much reduction in image quality, and I don't really care how many lines less I can resolve. It works well for me, and at this price, you can't complain much.

You can't attach filters directly onto the lens, though I've read that you can use many step up rings to put a filter on. But they say that it is not very secure. Never tried it.

I've never used any other converter besides this one, so I can't give a comparison.

Justin,

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Now it's a matter of deciding which to get. Wish I could do a hands on comparison but I can't. Maybe it boils down to which model is available at CP, I suppose.

If I get the E63, I can use most of my existing 77mm filters from my Nikon SLR system by using a step-up ring.

Anyway, I'm looking for a 28 mm UV filter. The one I've is a cokin. Personally, I would prefer a slightly better filter on Nikon optics. Could you tell me where you got your Hoya HMC?

Thanks,
Roy

Originally posted by Roy
Folks,

Thanks for the rather quick reply.

The E63 is what I'm looking for anyway. Just seeking second opinion. The 72 mm filter thread is an added bonus since most of my SLR lenses take 72 mm filters, if I'm not mistaken.

ckiang, if by end next week you still don't have a taker for the tele converter, I would be interested. Can't take it now cos I'll not in SG right now. Only be back on 31st.

Thanks,
RM

Sure, let me know. It's still available. :) For once I almost confused you and roygoh. ;p

Regards
CK

Roy,

If you want, we can meet up one day and I can let you try my E24.

I suppose it's handy to be able to share filters, but the only filters that I think will probably come in handy are a polarizer and a ND filter. I think you can screw a 28mm onto the CoolPix, then put the convertor over that. Just zoom in a little bit to remedy the vignetting. From the specs, the E24 seems much more compact, and lighter, which is important for my uses. I don't know about you though.

As for the UV filter, I bought mine from John 3:16, at $25. CP might sell it, though at the time I wanted to buy, they didn't have stock. Alan Photo had stock, and was selling at $25 too, but I would prefer to give my business to John 3:16.

I tried the Cokin filter, but I didn't like it as it was not coated, was really thick, and was this horrible silver color. I still have it, if anyone's interested. :D

Justin, thanks for the offer to try out the E24. Already bought myself a E63. Haven't taken any pic with it though.

CK, plz check your PM. Interested in getting the tele converter from you.

Thanks all,
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.