Which white balance setting to choose?

zzyzx

Aug 25, 2007
Below are three sets of photos, basically the left set are modified WB (WB Shift) and right set are all Auto WB. Question is which set is better? Left or right?

99441840.jpg

one more set, left or right?

17660567.jpg

It's hard to say which WB is better as it's brand and camera specific.If you want accurate reproduction only
you would know the real colour and lighting as you were there.You should know the exposure characteristics
of the camera better.In my opinion some photos looked better when different WB is used but that's my preferences.As you might have noticed AWB for your camera seem to have an even balance between light
and dark tones preserving detail.So there's no saying which WB is better.All depends on what you want the picture to look like.That's why you do post processing.Of course if you expose it optimally the less processing the picture needs.

Using my calibrated screen... I'd say the right photos tend to be true-er to life. BUT whether tt is a preferable WB is subjective, I did like some of the left photos which are warmer.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys.

I do personally prefer the left set because the objects tend to stand out compared to the right set. Do u guys think so?

I think it depends on what u want to bring out from the pics. The clear blue skies may benefit from a slightly cooler tone while certain intimate/nostalgic pics maybe better with slightly warmer tone.

Which white balance to use is tricky. The question u need to ask is what are u shooting for color accuracy ? emotional tone then there is that perpetual question I do not know if this is what I want to I do it in post or when I shoot. Before that come is evergreen - Errr I shoot jpg or raw for ?

Most of my photos I shift the WB in post because I want to create certain effects. Most of your photos look better with auto white balance. Generally I think you shouldn't try to cheat a clear blue sky into having some yellows. If it has a bit of yellow and you enhance it then it's fine. Adding yellow to blue skies makes it look very artificial.

I think the WB shift only really worked on the 2nd image, the rest look too artificial