which white balance is correct when shooting at night?

fozosix

Nov 2, 2009
credit to photo uploaders
5997698965_c802d73dd4.jpg

3432946239_a8a898a9e6.jpg

example above are 2 photos of diff wb..
which of wb is correct? actually i prefer the orangy it looks nicer.. the one wif cooler wb looks more plain-ish

anyone care to share?
or any better pics wif correct wb?

Actually, I would like to think that which WB is correct depends on what are you trying to relay to your viewers. E.g. Blue can mean peace/calm/cold etc. OTOH, if you are trying to get the colors as close as to what you saw, the judgement have to be made yourself if it actually the "reality" you saw.

But also the question of "Realistic or not" is another matter itself (I'm trying to imagine solid ice cubes (not melting) with warm tones), but I will still stick to my statement above. *I'm not trying to say that the pictures uploaded above above are not realistic*

in your explanation..... i would say.... that it's entirely up to you

for me... usually i go for warm color for sunset and dusk/night.. and cooler color for dawn and sunrise..

use auto first, if you don't like it, than adjust the white balance.

There is no right or wrong, it up to individual.

For me I am more concern on portraiture. Skin tone should be correct temperature. Especially when u shooting at hotel indoor, all the lights are usually warm light and I usually go with custom WB. Or maybe u shoot RAW :)

there is no correct white balance to use for nigh cityscape scene.

I use Kelvin, Tungsten, Fluorescent, or Daylight depends on the time of the shots and the mood I want to create.

there is no correct white balance to use for nigh cityscape scene.

I use Kelvin, Tungsten, Fluorescent, or Daylight depends on the time of the shots and the mood I want to create.

i use auto white balance.

but i use curves to create the mood :x

something bluish

something reddish

Last edited:
thanks all!

With regards to the pics above.. I would like to ask, for long exposures like the pictures above.. Given same location but if i am using d90+tamron17-55mm i am shooting same composition.. I use f/16, shutter:30secs, isoL1.0, wB: tungsten and clouds.. To get crisp and sharp pics shud i stick to f/16, 30secs or f/11,30secs, which settings is better f/16,13,11 or 18? Shutter: 30s, 25s, or bulb? Thanks

With regards to the pics above.. I would like to ask, for long exposures like the pictures above.. Given same location but if i am using d90+tamron17-55mm i am shooting same composition.. I use f/16, shutter:30secs, isoL1.0, wB: tungsten and clouds.. To get crisp and sharp pics shud i stick to f/16, 30secs or f/11,30secs, which settings is better f/16,13,11 or 18? Shutter: 30s, 25s, or bulb? Thanks

you should start your own thread. no one will bother helping because the thread title and what you're asking are different subjects

why not u try it out?