Which way do your slot your camera into your bag?

Technospaz

Sep 13, 2006
Hi folks,

Got an odd question to ask: which way do you slot your camera (DSLR) into your bag?

1. Lens go in first, so body is on top.
- This means pulling out the camera by holding the body.

2. Body goes in first, so lens is on top.
- This means pulling out the camera by (possibly) holding the lens (ouch!).

3. Sideways, so both lens and body are visible.
- This seems the safest but takes up the most space in the bag.

I'm not sure if I'm describing the options above well enough so I apologize if this is confusing.

Feedback would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
TS

used to do #2 when i juz started photography wif the freebie bag, then #1 after i got myself a new camera bag

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick feedback. I assume that there are no issues with #1, i.e. it won't damage the lens, right?

Hi folks,

Got an odd question to ask: which way do you slot your camera (DSLR) into your bag?

1. Lens go in first, so body is on top.
- This means pulling out the camera by holding the body.

2. Body goes in first, so lens is on top.
- This means pulling out the camera by (possibly) holding the lens (ouch!).

3. Sideways, so both lens and body are visible.
- This seems the safest but takes up the most space in the bag.

I'm not sure if I'm describing the options above well enough so I apologize if this is confusing.

Feedback would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
TS

depends on the bag, i guess. most dslr bags now have foam inserts that dictate how the camera plus lens should be placed. if space allows for it, for side-sling bags i like sideways so that i can easily and comfortably grab the camera by its natural grip. for backpacks, i just go by the natural contour of the foam since i wont be grabbing my cam that fast

For my backpack, #3
For slingbag, #2

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick feedback. I assume that there are no issues with #1, i.e. it won't damage the lens, right?

Really depends on the design of the bag. But all methods are ok. Camera and lens are not toufu. They can take a lot more abuse than you can imagine.

Really depends on the design of the bag. But all methods are ok. Camera and lens are not toufu. They can take a lot more abuse than you can imagine.
Yeah, but just anxious at times. Don't want to yank the camera out and damage the lens/body in the process so wondered which approach was the safest. Thanks for your reassurance :)

most common setup in the bags now is # 1....

number 2 all the time in my sling bag.. if i were to be in "ready" mode i would have just sling my camera on my body than to put it in the bag.. haha ;)

It all depends on the bag space available and which lens is attached.

Mainly lens down or sideways.

Using kit bag for Canon 550D. Store the camera using description #3.

Depends on bag and lens attached, but it's 1 or 3. There's nothing wrong with doing 2, though I can't imagine any bag design where that would make sense.

I use method #3, cos i usually just bring at most 2 lenses out for shoot ( one lens is attach on the camera another will be kept in other compartment )

Last edited:
Sling bag, your options will be primarily #1 or #2, where as backpack you will have additional #3.

#3 is the natural way, so seems logical. However sling bag may not have enough space for #3 position.

Problem with #1 is, if your lens is a longer one... it will hit the bottom of the bag. Even though there is foam padding, it's not enough. So when you keep your bag on floor, if the lens got hood attached, there might be rubbing. Beside that, a bit scary whether the lens/filter/hood can take weight of the body or not. I added one extra pad at bottom .. typical kiasu :cool:

So for longer lens, I prefer to put in #2 position, otherwise #1.

For #2, I take care to hold the body first... at least most of the time

Thanks for the great replies, folks. I think I've learned that:

1. Lenses and bodies are sturdier than I think (or worry about)
2. No matter which way I safekeep the lens, using some care when removing from the body + lens goes a long way.

Cheers!
TS

Just squeeze until all items fit into my slingbag. :bsmilie:

DSLR with lens facing up and SLR directly on top, so lenses are touching each other, with no padding in between. Not a fan of thick padding. Only put inserts to prevent items from moving around.