Which videocam... clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryphon

Jan 20, 2003
Dry cabinet!
Visit site
Anyone care to share some info & advise.

Looking for videocam but not miniDV type, not doing much editing & no time to do conversion. Hence, either record to DVD or hard disk.

What formats will it be recorded as? I normally see as MPEG-2. Is there better formats around or MPEG-2 is good enough?

3 chip CCD/CMOS type will be better right?

Any particular brands or models to recommend?

Thanks

Depends firstly on budget and what's your purpose to using this camcorder. You seem to want all the good stuff -> 3CCD/CMOS, better than mpg2 quality... So I hope your budget is quite big. Panasonic's P2 is coming to Asia in a few months; already released for NTSC version, PAL coming soon. It's able to record in HD format (not HDV if I remember correctly). Price around 8-10k sing.
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=93120&catGroupId=15768&modelNo=AG-HVX200&surfModel=AG-HVX200

It's the only camcorder I know that's recording on new PCMCIA flash memory cards rather than Tape formats.

But if you're looking at consumer level cameras for family videos n such, you can find those DVD or Harddisk camcorders from Sony, Canon, Panasonic or JVC (or other brands). However, I dont think there is any with 3ccd/cmos; suggestion is to visit stores and try it and see if it suits ur purpose n budget. My knowledge to those areas are close to nil.

Mpeg2 compression is pretty standard across the board for minidv and HDV; not sure about HD though. So dont worry about it. Some programs you see on tv are done with or together with smaller DV cameras that record on MiniDV; of cse those belong to the pro end.

try nt to get a flash-based or dvd based vcam, as there are longer lag time with this 2 type, n the dvd dun come cheap, it cost ard 15 per dvd, as for the hd type nv use b4 so cannot comment. As for quality wise miniDV tape is better.

below is a site of vcam review that u may 1 to take a look at...
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

if u want more control over it u should consider panasonic vcam
if u 1 a gd automatic control u should choose sony vcam

thanks a lot. Budget is about S$2K. Guess got to drop some requirements already :sweat: Anyway I am not buying for myself. Will go take a look aound.

if u want more control over it u should consider panasonic vcam
if u 1 a gd automatic control u should choose sony vcam
dreamerz, what type of control do you mean?

gryphon said:
thanks a lot. Budget is about S$2K. Guess got to drop some requirements already :sweat: Anyway I am not buying for myself. Will go take a look aound.

dreamerz, what type of control do you mean?
controls like gain, aperture, shutter speed, custom WB, n manual focus...
with that budget u can see a wide range of vcam...

currently panasonic feature 3CCD..

BTW, u can pop to dvspot for more reviews on video cams.

Of cos, I do hope that come one day I can afford the Canon XL2.... ;p

Not enuff to even cover for 1/10th of the cost leh. ;p

Plus I can't hang it around my neck when I travel.

jsbn said:
Not enuff to even cover for 1/10th of the cost leh. ;p

Plus I can't hang it around my neck when I travel.
haha...cant hang u can shoulder carry it whenever u travel...LOLX..;p
save more money...;p

Status
Not open for further replies.