Which UV filter to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

843isdead

Nov 23, 2008
Singapore
I'm getting one for protecting my kit lens, but I'd like to know which brand/model have filters that won't alter/degrade image quality, and won't empty my wallet? Am I better off buying a glass filter?

From my limited experience, cheap uv filter - tokina usually recommended by shops like CP or MS. usually $10
Medium range - Hoya, about 30++, depends what type (of coatings, ...)
More expensive - B+W, can be 50++

Usually, more expensive, less possible to degrade image quality.
I buy uv filter according to the price of the lens... for kit, i might just use tokina... Some other CSer may suggest not use any filter (since you don't want image quality degradation)

i am using a Hoya for my kit lens..

For any lenses around $200, I just don't see the need to get UV filters costing more than a quarter of it. In fact, I won't use.

Presently, am using Hoya Super HMC for all my lenses - never though of spending on B+W...never. I have professional photog acquaintances who don't use UV filters at all and some with just the normal Hoya HMC. They are use bodies like 1DsMIII, D3X and all the premium lenses you can find in market. But perhaps they're the type who can just either buy new lenses anytime but point is, UV filter is now merely for protection and to the naked eyes and real life shooting, I bet you can see any diff... at least for me. Unless you're using horrible ones la which I rather not even use it and these are the ones which will degrade your pictures. Usual signs of bad ones are, price of it... LOL but don't get conned by a salesman who's gonna sell a $10 for $110, lens flare appearing more often in your pictures, foggy looking pics.

hoya will serve u well
clear.gif

agreed hoya is pretty good

Hmm,

Hoya's is one of Japan's best optical glass manufacturing, so i would recommend getting a Hoya, it costs about $20+? All of my digital lens are using Hoya. My film lens are using Tokina UV due to hoya's limited stock on the smaller sizes. Otherwise Sigma does make a few filters and i think they're pretty good.

I suggest getting Hoya for your better lens, perhaps Tokina for the cheaper lens or you might wanna try Sigma.

In terms of price, Hoya < Sigma < Tokina.
In terms of quality, Tokina < Sigma < Hoya.

If you're really particular about image quality reduction, then no filter = best.
Do note that CPL(Polarizing fitlers reduces about 1/2 stop)

Cowz.

Hmm,

Hoya's is one of Japan's best optical glass manufacturing, so i would recommend getting a Hoya, it costs about $20+? All of my digital lens are using Hoya. My film lens are using Tokina UV due to hoya's limited stock on the smaller sizes. Otherwise Sigma does make a few filters and i think they're pretty good.

I suggest getting Hoya for your better lens, perhaps Tokina for the cheaper lens or you might wanna try Sigma.

If you're really particular about image quality reduction, then no filter = best.

Cowz.

CPL should be reduce 2 stops. Do correct me if i'm wrong.:)

I'm getting one for protecting my kit lens, but I'd like to know which brand/model have filters that won't alter/degrade image quality, and won't empty my wallet? Am I better off buying a glass filter?

hoyaaaaaa

to be honest, i won't buy anything for kit lens

hoyaaaaaa

to be honest, i won't buy anything for kit lens

EH DONT LOOK DOWN ON KIT LENS!!!

for me im using a hoya for my kit lens, tamron for prime lens. dont buy those ulu ulu brands shld be fine for your lenses la..

Hmm,

Cowz.

Didn't know Sigma makes filters. Haven't come across that yet.

for me im using a hoya for my kit lens, tamron for prime lens. dont buy those ulu ulu brands shld be fine for your lenses la..

How is not getting a filter "looking down" on a lens?

:bsmilie:

lol, i never la, i love my kit lens, it's just that it's so slow, and uv does cut off a bit of light, so i don't really like putting anything on it

actually, i also leave my 50mm f/1.4 naked

in fact, all my lenses are naked except for 10-20mm... and i use the uv filter like lenscap HAHAHAHA

CPL should be reduce 2 stops. Do correct me if i'm wrong.:)

Hmm,

no .. CPL is not a ND filter, it's not designed to reduce stops in fact. CPL is to cut the polarising glare like those coated on specs. the reason why it reduces 1/2 stop is due to the effects of the coating because lesser glare = naturally lesser brightens .. agreed?

Cowz.

All up to you.

Note that cheaper filters may be prone to problems like ghosting, flare and being difficult to clean.

Hoya, Nikon NC, B+W are all good brands to consider.

1. Have a budget in mind.
2. Get the one that you can afford.
3. Walk away happily.

You can get a simple filter for $10 or less. B+W and Nikon NC Filters will definitely cost a lot more.

Of course, you can not get a filter as well. Your choice.

U can walkin to any reputable shop and ask for recommendations. Mostly likely they'll recommend the Hoya ones or Nikon NC filters, which is what i'm using. Of coz, do your homework on the pricing first, know what you're paying for.

Since you mention you want to protect your kit lens, get a cheap one will do.

When you get a better lens, you can get a pricier one.
Such as B+W ksm or the uv one.
Heliopan is good too! But bad side they cost $180> for a 77mm.
I only use 1 b+w for 77mm... and one for a 52mm for a drop in slot (52mm much cheaper)

Status
Not open for further replies.