Which tripod will you choose???

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hein

Jun 19, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Just want to check from you guys which tripod will you choose(worth the $$$$), and WHY???? Any other recommendations....

I personally like the Gitzo1540(not in Sg yet) for its weight, but sure going to cost a bomb...

One thing about the Gitzo 1540 is that this set of legs doesn't allow horizontal positioning of the center column. As I shoot products, this is one function that I look out for in my set of legs. ;)

One thing about the Gitzo 1540 is that this set of legs doesn't allow horizontal positioning of the center column. As I shoot products, this is one function that I look out for in my set of legs. ;)

Hmmmm.. Doesn't only Manfrotto have this feature??? Well, this seems quite attractive if I do macro shots... I can extend the center column sideways instead of moving the tripod..

Thanks....

Hmmmm.. Doesn't only Manfrotto have this feature??? Well, this seems quite attractive if I do macro shots... I can extend the center column sideways instead of moving the tripod..

Thanks....

A few Gitzo models also have this function. e.g. the G2220. ;p :heart:

A few Gitzo models also have this function. e.g. the G2220. ;p :heart:

Yeps.. Just saw that, and it's an aluminium tripod weighing 2.3kg... The 1540 is CF, weighing 1.1kg only... That sounds really light

Yeps.. Just saw that, and it's an aluminium tripod weighing 2.3kg... The 1540 is CF, weighing 1.1kg only... That sounds really light

You asked about the horizontal positioning mah. :bsmilie:
But can the 1540 do horizontal? ;p

You asked about the horizontal positioning mah. :bsmilie:
But can the 1540 do horizontal? ;p

Grrrr hehe... Thanks ipin..... The 1540 can't do horizontal positioning, but is 1.1kg, and can hold 8kg.
The 440CF can do horizontal, but is 1.7kg and can hold 5kg.

Well, pricewise, I'm still tempted on the 440CF or the MF04

I have the 055MF4. Good enuff for me. You have to consider the weight of the head too ya? ;)

The MF series are good tripods. But get the 055 MF3 would be better. As you dont have to extend too many section. The last section of the MF4 is very thin. so user need to be more careful.

Darng.... Just check with ProPhoto, and the GT1540 is $980...

They also have the new 2930, which is $750.... Man, will the tripods be much cheaper when they reach the stores like CP/TK???? Hmmmm

The 055MF4 is quite attractive too, but is very similar to the 055PROB for much more $$$$

The MF series are good tripods. But get the 055 MF3 would be better. As you dont have to extend too many section. The last section of the MF4 is very thin. so user need to be more careful.

I know, but I want the shorter retracted length. 10cm difference between the MF3 and MF4. Also for easier transportation. That's why I chose the MF4 over the MF3. ;)

Darng.... Just check with ProPhoto, and the GT1540 is $980...

They also have the new 2930, which is $750.... Man, will the tripods be much cheaper when they reach the stores like CP/TK???? Hmmmm

The 055MF4 is quite attractive too, but is very similar to the 055PROB for much more $$$$

bro.. don't bother with prophoto.. their quotes are way higher than other shops.. even CP is quite high unless u're a regular... tkfoto seems to have the best pricing for gitzo.. and if u want horizontal positioning try out all the gitzo explorers... bear in mind for those it's good for macro but bad for normal shots as it's more troublesome to set up...and they're heavier..

i'd go with the 1540.. coz it's lighter and very stable.. the mamiya is out of the qn.. i tried it at the shops.. the legs rotate so it's really irritating to set up...

anyway don't u already have a 1530 (in ur signature)? or is that a wishlist.......:think:

If you need a tripod that can do horizontal positioning, do consider the Benro C298-n6. I believe this is a clone of the Gitzo Explorer GT2540EX but the carbon is said to comprise 8 layers instead of 6 layers. The quality is almost as good as the Gitzo but it is considerably cheaper.

If you need a tripod that can do horizontal positioning, do consider the Benro C298-n6. I believe this is a clone of the Gitzo Explorer GT2540EX but the carbon is said to comprise 8 layers instead of 6 layers. The quality is almost as good as the Gitzo but it is considerably cheaper.

specs wise and functions look good.. but how's the performance.. anyone can tell? like how's the stability and torsion rigidity? it's rated for 8kg.. but gitzo's equivalents are rated for 12kg with only 6-layer carbon..hmm....

i kinda like the fact that it has leg locks, yet can do explorer style functions.... and it comes with spirit level, bag and foam grip which gitzo doesn't give...
yet i don't really wanna sacrifice performance..:think:

specs wise and functions look good.. but how's the performance.. anyone can tell? like how's the stability and torsion rigidity? it's rated for 8kg.. but gitzo's equivalents are rated for 12kg with only 6-layer carbon..hmm....

i kinda like the fact that it has leg locks, yet can do explorer style functions.... and it comes with spirit level, bag and foam grip which gitzo doesn't give...
yet i don't really wanna sacrifice performance..:think:

The performace of Benro tripod is as good as Gitzo according some of the reviews from Europ and US (under the brand Induro), I met some guys here have both Benro and Gitzo tripods, they told me there's no difference in terms of performance...:)

I bought the 1540 and have no regrets. Especially when coupled with the Kangrinpoche ballhead. I like the new feature where the centtre column can be removed completely for flat on the ground shots. I now carry it with me with the centre column out to reduce the weight even further.

Gitzo deploys faster than Benro. Really light, build quality is much superior. But for the budget-conscious, Benro will do the job well enough.

I've both and so far the Gitzo really satisfies me. I'm using 1540. With a Markins M10 ballhead, it can support my D200 (with vgrip and 2 x batt) and my 80-200mm, mounted at the vgrip, not the lens collar.

Owned the Benro A127n6 and the Gitzo 1530 (like 1540, but 3-section only).

The Benro is excellent value for money and will do the job. I have lots of great photos shot on my Benro, and many of them were 30-second long exposures at night. I really liked my A127n6. In terms of photos I don't think you can tell which of mine were shot on the Benro and which were shot on the Gitzo.

The Gitzo G-lock system for the legs is absolutely incredible though. Instantly justified all the $$ I spent upgrading. Really like the short throw and the locking power of the G-lock system. The Gitzo's advantages are in ergonomics, useability, and handling. Is it worth the extra $$.. well, that is entirely up to you, but I can say that if you are willing to cough up for it, it is really nice to have :thumbsup:

I still like the Benro bag though.. if I could buy the bag separately I would :D

Status
Not open for further replies.