Which Tripod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mission

May 29, 2004
Hi ! All

Hope you all can enlighten me on the following :

1) I am looking for a light weight type of tripod (travelling use)

2) I am also looking to buy an additional SD card (1 G)

What is your recomendation.
What is the estimated price and where can i buy it ?

Hi ! All

Hope you all can enlighten me on the following :

1) I am looking for a light weight type of tripod (travelling use)

2) I am also looking to buy an additional SD card (1 G)

What is your recomendation.
What is the estimated price and where can i buy it ?

budget? and your setup weight?

for SD card, can consider kingston elite pro. iirc price is about <$40

I just got back from Sim Lim Square. Was looking at the prices of SD cards and found a shop - Linksys #05-66 selling at the best price of Kingston 1GB $25 compared to the one i bought at Challenger for $29.90. The 1GB Kingston 50x speed version goes for $33 while other shops selling at $35. :thumbsup:

if budget is not an issue, go for a carbon fire tripod...they are light and more portable...

Hi ! Witness

You know the price range of the tripod ?
Any brand to recommend ?

Thanks. I am looking for a light-weight type to carry around when overseas

Carbon fibre tripods are light, but you pay for it.
One of the most reputable brand is Gitzo but a simple carbon fibre one cost like S$600.... :eek:

Hi ! Witness

You know the price range of the tripod ?
Any brand to recommend ?

Thanks. I am looking for a light-weight type to carry around when overseas
cmon la, how to expect people to recommand when you did not even state your budget, setup weight...

ask me recommand? go grab the gitzo... total cost 1.5k maybe...

I m also considering to get a lightweight tripod to carry around.
Budget: ard $100
Weight of tripod: max 1.5kg (as I found my current 2.3kg too heavy after a few hrs of walkaround)
Weight of gear to mount: 3kg

Are those sold in department stores of ard $50 good? I m worried that the plastic "plate holder" may break after 2 yrs when the few kg of gear is flipped in vertical position.

Weight of tripod: max 1.5kg (as I found my current 2.3kg too heavy after a few hrs of walkaround)

Are those sold in department stores of ard $50 good? I m worried that the plastic "plate holder" may break after 2 yrs when the few kg of gear is flipped in vertical position.

wor 3kg gear... thats pretty heavy (about the weight of 70-200 f2.8 + pro body) :think:
i don think any of the tripod fit all your requirement... basically to meet the 3kg demand and light weight, the only choice will be carbon fibre ones... but cost would be $100 + '0'

Since your budget is $100, I think you may consider slik tripods or PPCP tripods

Since your budget is $100, I think you may consider slik tripods or PPCP tripods
erm, i don think you want to use those 2 tripod for something like a pro body and 70-200. my friend sprint pro is already shaking with the slightest touch when he mount d70+18-70.

Don't let your tripod be a burden. Buy a cheap and light one will do.
Lost it also heart not pain, anyhow throw also no worry and carry until tulan can throw away....haha just like my friend :bsmilie:

Don't let your tripod be a burden. Buy a cheap and light one will do.
Lost it also heart not pain, anyhow throw also no worry and carry until tulan can throw away....haha just like my friend :bsmilie:

True, carrying the gear is already a problem esp if it is a few hrs expedition. Plus the tripod it will be a real burden lugging it around. Sometimes, the thought of throwing it away do come to mind but the thought of being wasteful and brashful stops it.

True:thumbsup:
I checked out the ad in the BnS and indeed Benro fits in, eg Benro AO28 @ S$130 wt 1.19kg and Max Load Capacity is 2.5kg. This is good enough for a 80-200 + D200. This will load it to the max capacity. Will this tripod shake when u depress the shutter?

eh...maybe u want to check out parkertr's ppcp tripod on consumer's corner...for 40 bucks more it fits ya needs quite well

cheers..

I checked out the ad in the BnS and indeed Benro fits in, eg Benro AO28 @ S$130 wt 1.19kg and Max Load Capacity is 2.5kg. This is good enough for a 80-200 + D200. This will load it to the max capacity. Will this tripod shake when u depress the shutter?

You have to consider the weight of the ballhead too, which will add another 0.5-1.0kg depending on what ballhead you have. It's not really advisable to load to the max capacity, it's not really stable. I have a Manfrotto 724B rated for 3.5kg, but when I load my 70-200+D70, not really very stable lar.

eh...maybe u want to check out parkertr's ppcp tripod on consumer's corner...for 40 bucks more it fits ya needs quite well

cheers..

You have to consider the weight of the ballhead too, which will add another 0.5-1.0kg depending on what ballhead you have. It's not really advisable to load to the max capacity, it's not really stable. I have a Manfrotto 724B rated for 3.5kg, but when I load my 70-200+D70, not really very stable lar.

So it looks like PPCP Pro Tripod wt: 1.3kg, Max Load: 5kg, Price: $140 with Removable BallHead is the most suitable for a load of ard 2.5Kg.

Anyone got any explanation why PPCP wt of 1.3kg can claim a Max Load of 5 kg but Benro AO28 with a wt of 1.19kg has a max load of only 2.5kg? Overclaiming or Underclaiming?

Based on the experience of ExplorerZ's friend and frenchbean's, the various tripods seems unstable/shaky when loaded to near max. So, Splutter's advise is to get a rating about 2x the expected load limit seems logical.

hmm, let me think it over and try out various models before buying. I need a light and steady tripod so that it will not be a burden when carrying it around.

Thanks for all the advise. Cheers!!!

Not too sure whether there is overclaiming or underclaiming, but my suggestion is that go for a CF tripod if you want light with heavy load. Spend a bit more on the tripod and you will not regret it. A good tripod will last you many many years down the road. Gitzo CF are really good, although pricey. Have heard that Benro performs just as well at a lower price, being a Gitzo clone. And one more thing, try to get a 4 section one if you are gonna travel with it. 3 section is really quite long when folded.

Status
Not open for further replies.