Which tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afbug

Aug 19, 2004
Planet SG™
I am looking into buying a better tripod, not too expensive. (Using a cheap 1 now) Its for a normal point and shoot camera and a video camera.

Which one should i get?
Slik sprint pro, Manfrotto 714B or 718B?

718B has a handle, more suited for a video cam? How does the 714B and sprint pro works? It is like screwing the camera as in using a mini table top tripod?

Get a tripod w/o a head. Then buy a good head for it in your prefered style, most like ballheads. Make sure the ballhead has a quick release. I am not a fan of SILK. I would get a Gitzo if you can afford it, very stable.

buying a gitzo for a P&S camera is like overkill... besides, buying head with a pan & tilt for video den need to get another ball head for P&S mean u have to spend quite a fortune...

i recommend getting cheap cheap slik, those with built in pan & tilt head, geared centre column. good enough for video & also p&s. most models come with a Quick Release plate, or you can choose 1 which comes with it.

Tzuen said:
Get a tripod w/o a head. Then buy a good head for it in your prefered style, most like ballheads. Make sure the ballhead has a quick release. I am not a fan of SILK. I would get a Gitzo if you can afford it, very stable.

Gitzo! Its expensive. :bigeyes: If the ballhead have no quick release, it is like attaching the camera as in like screwing the camera as in using a mini table top tripod?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
buying a gitzo for a P&S camera is like overkill... besides, buying head with a pan & tilt for video den need to get another ball head for P&S mean u have to spend quite a fortune...

i recommend getting cheap cheap slik, those with built in pan & tilt head, geared centre column. good enough for video & also p&s. most models come with a Quick Release plate, or you can choose 1 which comes with it.

Thats why i will prefer to buy on a pan & tilt one :) But how does those ball heads tripod work when attaching the camera? It is like screwing the camera as in using a mini table top tripod?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
thats y u need a quick release plate, den u screw the plate onto the cam, den attach the QR to its rightful place.

Ahhh......okie fully understooded :) So without the quick release plate, it is more troublesome to attach the camera to the ball head. Thanks for explaining. :thumbsup:

Bought the Slik sprint pro with 3 way pan and quick release head today. :D

ParkertR said:
how much did u get urs for? the slik sprint pro.

how much was the quick release head? :) where can i get it from

I got it from Cathay Photo. I bought the 3 way panhead with QR plate version. I din buy the ballhead version and add a QR plate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.