which tripod is good for a start

lanxer

Jan 23, 2010
Hi , i am a newbie for 2 weeks. pentax kx
Anyone can recommend me a average & cheap tripod that is enuff for me to try out first.
I am so eager to try out night shots . i have try a few nights shots but my hand keep moving.

Anyone can recommend me a average & cheap tripod that is enuff for me to try out first.
I am so eager to try out night shots . i have try a few nights shots but my hand keep moving.

Look up the various brands and budget you have.

You never even mention all these and how would we know what to reccomend? Anyway a tripod is an important investment if you're interested in landscape and/or nature macro, etc..

Get a GOOD one which can fit the weight, height considerations and make sure you have a sufficient budget for one. A good set of legs and head may cost around $300+

how much is cheap?

for some people, 1k is cheap :bsmilie:

any d90 using benro Tripod A200EX + ballhead BH-0?

Hi lanxer,

From a newbie who has just gone through 1 tripod, the following is what i look for (not in any order of merit):

1. Height of tripod when fully extended and collapsed (must be just the right height so I don't have to extend by tiptoeing, or stoop down too low)

2. Smooth movement for vertical (up and down movement) and horizontal (left and right, for panorama shots) - you can start with those tripods with a pan head

3. Weight - you certainly don't want too heavy, but ...

4. Sturdy - so it won't topple over when wind blows your tripod with your camera on it

5. Under center column hook, or buy cheap hooks used to hang clothes - to hold down the tripod with something heavy, like your bag

6. Quick release plate - using the screw types will waste time when you need to detach your camera from the tripod to shoot something else

I used this Velbon CX-888 Black tripod. I bought it for $60 from the last PC show in December 2009.

At the end of the day, set a budget, go down to the shops and take a look at a few of the available tripods, then go home research, and then when you have confirmed what you want and what you can afford, go make the purchase.

HTH. Good luck with your shooting!

Last edited:

U have to let us know ur budget and requirement at least for us to help u better mah

For most, a decent one will still set him/her back by $150 at least (excluding ballhead)

any d90 using benro Tripod A200EX + ballhead BH-0?

I do not think any D90s are using the tripod combo you mentioned.

However, I know there are quite a number of people using that tripod combo you mentioned.

wrt buying tripod/head, i would think it is a setup that u might just want to consider buying once instead of a tripod to try out first.

ryan

Fancier model FT6662A.

Promotion Price: S$88

anycomment about this one ?
i think this is my budget and looks like a good 1st tripod for me to start with.