Which tripod brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2009
Singapore
I currently own a steinzeiser tripod, heavy bulky but very firm, i smell a rat when the owner gave me a 50% discount off the usuall price at about 250 even without me asking. After i bought it home, i realised the center axis roatates no matter how hard i clamped it, and there's alot of greese on the ballhead, yesterday i found out that the legs rust too! So i'm thinking perhaps its not long before i need to replace it already.

So which brand do you recommand? i would prefer a ballhead, as its more flexible for me. i'm looking at about not more than S$300 with the head.

Firm being the most important, followed by weight and look.

Any advise? which brand is more price worthy

Galdor

Jul 5, 2006
Planet Gaia
s105.photobucket.com
Gitzo, Benro, Manfrotto are all good tripod brands, perhaps you can take a look at the shops to give you a wider selection.

Last edited:

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
if you are looking for solid yet cheap and dont mind the weight, can consider this one http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021

Its made in japan and based on an old school design so basically it is a tank.

give it a good ballhead and should serve you well. Happy with mine. :)

Blur Shadow

Sep 17, 2005
I use Slik. I find it sufficient for my needs. But I recognize the benefits of Manfrotto and Gitzo. Go for the latter if you have the cash.

Snoweagle

Jan 26, 2005
Pasir Ris, Singapore
I recommend Manfrotto or Gitzo. The medium to high-end ones do not come with a head so have to purchase separately.

justinpws

Nov 11, 2007
Giottos oso not too bad in price, although of course there's reason for the lower price lah. Depends on your use. If you're a frequent user, then better to go for a good brand that'd serve you well for a long time. If not, like me, I use a giottos monopod and am perfectly happy using it with a 120-300. I am of course assuming their tripods are just as good. I'm on a manfrotto for tripod :bsmilie:

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
I love my Vebon Neo Carmagne 614A - was contemplating with Slik but got Velbon cuz of its capability of folding and unfolding of the sections simultaneously, just like Gitzo.

woeilee

Aug 26, 2008
CCK
woeilee.zenfolio.com
I would suggest Slik. S$100+ you can get quite a good mode like 400DX pro with 3-way pan head, though it is not light (abt 2.5kg). Or their carbon fibre series like 713CX pro, at about S$300+. But their carbon series does not come with tripod head.

PrimePhotog

Deregistered
Oct 25, 2007
www.flickr.com
WOW! $250 is alot for that tripod.Personally, I wouldn't even pay $100...
Try the various well known brands at any camera shop (ie. Manfrotto, Giottos, Gitzo and Benro)
I think Gitzo might be too ex for your budget but do take a look.However, try not to buy the Gitzo Ballheads as they are overpriced and not very good compared to the premium ballheads such as Markins, Really right stuff and Arca-Swiss

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
WOW! $250 is alot for that tripod.Personally, I wouldn't even pay $100...
I said the exact same thing years ago till I eventually settled for a CF one. Well, I guess everyone has different needs and due time you'll know if you need or not. At least you're not rushing to get the best equipment out there which many of us tend to do sooner than it should be. Anyways, I started off with the affordable Fancier tripod FT-6662A which for some reason, the ballhead has been changed for the latest batch but for $88 (was $110ish), I guess it's a steal.

HHenrYY

Mar 18, 2009
Singapore
i got a free nikon tripod.
but nv use it.
xD
dunno when to use , so nv use.

but the silk one looks stable and good leh..

dyk85

Apr 5, 2008
Sengkeng
Benro not bad, u can take a look at it. 100++ for the normal ones.

Flaky

Nov 14, 2005
Anyone tried the Fancier & Velbon tripods? :dunno:
I gt myself a Fancier.
The extended height suits me. 4 Section and Sub $100.
Basically i dont see myself mounting any heavy lens for landscape shots and group photo.
For a 4 section tripod, i find it compact enuf to bring ard for travel.
I cant say the tripod is rock stable but as a student and photograph being a hobby to me i cant justify paying the premium for something i seldom use.

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
May I ask how you find the Fancier tripod?
I can only say that it's one of the best tripod I could (and can) find for that price. It has features commonly found only in professional tripods and ballhead is something I prefer more.

Shen siung

May 21, 2008
Benro not bad, u can take a look at it. 100++ for the normal ones.
Yup agree. less then 200 can get a quite decent tripod + ball head. Check the thread in mass sell if not wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom