Which Tripod and ball head for $500

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepashes

Dec 18, 2008
Lavender
I have read the guide to buying a tripod but am still unsure of what tripod or ballhead to look for. i know that i can find reviews out there about the tripods in my range but i want your opinions about which tripod is best for me.

Budget: $500 (include tripod and ball head)
^ is it too little for tripod and ball head?
Camera: Canon 30D
Lens(future, heaviest one i would get): 70-200mm f4 l
Heaviness not an issue, though the lighter the better.
Prefer Clip style tripod (instead of the screw in the leg thing)
Smaller the better (least priority, as in folded lenght)

Welcome all suggestions, budget is flexible by $100 (pref to stay below 500)

Thx in advance..

I have read the guide to buying a tripod but am still unsure of what tripod or ballhead to look for. i know that i can find reviews out there about the tripods in my range but i want your opinions about which tripod is best for me.

Budget: $500 (include tripod and ball head)
^ is it too little for tripod and ball head?
Camera: Canon 30D
Lens(future, heaviest one i would get): 70-200mm f4 l
Heaviness not an issue, though the lighter the better.
Prefer Clip style tripod (instead of the screw in the leg thing)
Smaller the better (least priority, as in folded lenght)

Welcome all suggestions, budget is flexible by $100 (pref to stay below 500)

Thx in advance..

save up alittle longer and get the gitzo 1541T bah.

BENRO travelling engine:)
hp:90258312

The Gitzo 1541 is more expensive but very light and is very portable, though beyond your budget. Manfrotto's 055CXPRO (comes in 3- and 4-sections) is about $500+ with a 486RC2 ballhead and as a user I like it very much. Not as light as the Gitzo though. An alternative would be Benro, something like a A-600 with a BH-2 ballhead; iirc Jack has a package for it that goes for something like $300, you may want to contact him for details.

$400-$600 is normally the price for a Carbon Fiber tripod with average load ballhead.

if you want my opinion, no such thing as best tripod only one that fits the job and budget very well so try them all out in various combinations. A good place to try would be Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza which has the lens you are referring to as well i think. Just me but if want to save $$$, can consider looking for the older design video tripods made for heavy loads + modern 8kg-15kg ballhead with tension. If you have $$$ extra, try looking at Acratech ballhead.

wah after reading other threads, seems like most ppl like gitzos leh. keep hearing gitzo x541.
alot ppl say buy once and dont upgrade, my mom also second that thought (she paying for it), wonder what her face look like if i bust budget by 500.lol
So if i get a gitzo 1541, do u think its able to take my future lenses?(max:canon 70-200mm f4 l)

Plus if i get ball head that is good enough for that lens ar, norm will cost how much.. and what model good?

Acratech is good, but also expensive. I use the 70-200/4, and most heads that is rated to support around 8kg will do the trick. Lots of those out there, be it Acratech, Manfrotto, Benro...

Ya... usually ppl will say that better invest one time good one then keep upgrading.
Regret getting one cheapo $100+ tripod&ballhead combo but no choice since previous on budget.
Now has to go source for better ballhead.

Other than Acratech, there is Markins and ReallyRightStuff(order online) as well.
Cathay/OP has this brand Kangrinpochi ballhead.

I am going to TKPhoto to take a look at Markins Q3 next month once they have stocks.
:)

wah after reading other threads, seems like most ppl like gitzos leh. keep hearing gitzo x541.
alot ppl say buy once and dont upgrade, my mom also second that thought (she paying for it), wonder what her face look like if i bust budget by 500.lol
So if i get a gitzo 1541, do u think its able to take my future lenses?(max:canon 70-200mm f4 l)

Plus if i get ball head that is good enough for that lens ar, norm will cost how much.. and what model good?
really depends...mine Slik tripod which i found by chance i predict will be able to last years and years just that it is not for people who prefer lightweight. review here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021

I am considering a head for it so checking out Benro, Manfrotto and Acratech and etc plus their respective price ranges.

so far for my long term requirements, have listed down Manfrotto 486RC2, Kangrinpoche NB2-A, Triopo NB-35 after a trip to CP. Still got other places to check out.

really depends...mine Slik tripod which i found by chance i predict will be able to last years and years just that it is not for people who prefer lightweight. review here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021

I am considering a head for it so checking out Benro, Manfrotto and Acratech and etc plus their respective price ranges.

so far for my long term requirements, have listed down Manfrotto 486RC2, Kangrinpoche NB2-A, Triopo NB-35 after a trip to CP. Still got other places to check out.
looks sturdy, but also heavy.. i pref lighter tripods cuz i wan to bring overseas one, plus i take public transport and go random places to take photos, so light one better.

Thx for e suggestions anyway...

think today go down to funan that area go look arnd and c what to get...

looks sturdy, but also heavy.. i pref lighter tripods cuz i wan to bring overseas one, plus i take public transport and go random places to take photos, so light one better.

Thx for e suggestions anyway...

think today go down to funan that area go look arnd and c what to get...
basically in that area have TCW, BenPhoto, Cathay Photo, John 3:16, Alan Photo.

My Slik actually is close to rifle weight so to me no issue lah. I also take public transport and go random places. It can work as a monopod as well since the legs are quite sturdy in case i need to use it quickly without full deployment.

Whatever setup you get, bound to have a few quirks so always check that the disadvantages are actually advantages in disguise.

basically in that area have TCW, BenPhoto, Cathay Photo, John 3:16, Alan Photo.

My Slik actually is close to rifle weight so to me no issue lah. I also take public transport and go random places. It can work as a monopod as well since the legs are quite sturdy in case i need to use it quickly without full deployment.

Whatever setup you get, bound to have a few quirks so always check that the disadvantages are actually advantages in disguise.
ar, rifle weight bout 3kg or less? srry dunno bout rifle weight cuz have nt go ns yet.. only 16 :). so dunno how it feels when u walk around for a long time.

leaning more towards the gitzo lar, just that price damn high, can get wide angle lens with that amount of money lar..

Otherwise if i wan good price den will need sacrifice weight lor...

Dunno lar, maybe next few days i walk around with a metal stick about 3 kg c how it feels.. den decide..haha

Ok in the end bought a Gitzo GT1451T frm cathay. have yet to play with it yet though, but its damn light.

anyway big thx to all the ppl who contributed their views..

Status
Not open for further replies.