Which Travel Lens To Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan1996

Sep 29, 2005
Singapore, Clementi
Going on a 7D tour to China from 24/12/05. I am thinking of getting a travel lens like Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED. However, I may only get to see this lens after I come back from China. Therefore, from the list below, which travel lens could I get if I cannot get Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm before 24/12/05?

Nikon AF-S VR 24-120mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC
Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC ASP IF
Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5 ASP IF

Tamron AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II

Get 17-35 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8 and 70-200VR f/2.8

get Nikon AF-S VR 24-120mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED :thumbsup:

i bought that lens for my china tour too.

espn said:
Get 17-35 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8 and 70-200VR f/2.8

I don't think it is a good idea to change lens when in China as it is winter now. I do not like the 28-70 f/2.8 as on a D70 it become 42-105mm. I would get the 17-55mm F2.8 than 17-35 f/2.8. Anyway, no money to buy all 3 lenses.

Then buy 12-24DX and 17-55DX.

Winter why cannot change len?? :dunno:

The new AFS 18-200mm VR:angel:

17-35 would be a good choice already, if you are going for a full digital system. then the 17-55 would be good too.

espn said:
Then buy 12-24DX and 17-55DX.

Winter why cannot change len?? :dunno:

I have the Tokina 12-24mm F4. Do not want to take too many lenses for this tour as I am with a tour group. Try to keep bag light as winter cloths take up a lot of weight. I also want to buy a number of other things in China. So as you said Buy Buy Buy. The temp. there is very cold. I think it is below 0C. Is it ez to change lens with glove on?

alan1996 said:
I have the Tokina 12-24mm F4. Do not want to take too many lenses for this tour as I am with a tour group. Try to keep bag light as winter cloths take up a lot of weight. I also want to buy a number of other things in China. So as you said Buy Buy Buy. The temp. there is very cold. I think it is below 0C. Is it ez to change lens with glove on?

I was in the US last week with temp at -2, if u have a nice place to shoot, u will want to change lens....without gloves of course. there are some winter gloves that allow you to expose ur fingers only without exposing the rest of ur hands, when u are done using ur fingers, u just cover back the mitts.

alan1996 said:

Hi Alan,

I just went up to Beijing yesterday for a short trip (Currently in Tianjin now) and climb up the Great Wall of China at Badaling. The wind is very strong and the temperature is very cold which I believe to be -7 degree C. The view from the Great Wall is very nice. If you want, wide angle lens will be good to capture the scenery, but you may need a bit of zoom too. :think:

One more thing, bring lots warm clothings. The temperature here is dropping day by day. Good luck for your trip. ;)

Francis247 said:
Hi Alan,

I just went up to Beijing yesterday for a short trip (Currently in Tianjin now) and climb up the Great Wall of China at Badaling. The wind is very strong and the temperature is very cold which I believe to be -7 degree C. The view from the Great Wall is very nice. If you want, wide angle lens will be good to capture the scenery, but you may need a bit of zoom too. :think:

One more thing, bring lots warm clothings. The temperature here is dropping day by day. Good luck for your trip. ;)

Hi,

What lenses did you bring with you and do you cover your D70s with weather cover? I am thinking of bring my Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 20mm F1.8. Will not be bring my tripod as on a tour group and will not have time to setup tripod. I am thinking of getting a travel lens for the zoom part.

actually, I feel it's easier to bring more equipment, e.g. tripods and lenses, on group tours. Your normal luggage is usually taken off and you worry less abt taking public transport.

alan1996 said:
Hi,

What lenses did you bring with you and do you cover your D70s with weather cover? I am thinking of bring my Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 20mm F1.8. Will not be bring my tripod as on a tour group and will not have time to setup tripod. I am thinking of getting a travel lens for the zoom part.

Hi Alan,

I didn't bring my camera because this weekend trip to Beijing was unplanned (originally thought of working throughout the weekend) :cry: .

But my colleague did bring her D70 with kit lens without tripod. Too bad it is not wide enough because the view from the top of the Great Wall is very nice.

alan1996 said:
Hi,

Get a monopod if you do not have one currently. Faster setup and strip down :bsmilie:

laforge said:
Get a monopod if you do not have one currently. Faster setup and strip down :bsmilie:

Will be going on the group tour next week too...

Thinking of bring my Feisol Tripod...but also quite heavy (with the ball head)

Any advise on the monopod? Dun really know how to use one...

volk said:
Will be going on the group tour next week too...

Thinking of bring my Feisol Tripod...but also quite heavy (with the ball head)

Any advise on the monopod? Dun really know how to use one...

I also use a Feisol CF tripod. I have a Giottos MM 9750 as a monopod. I think I will bring my monopod.

I would suggest AF-S DX 18-70 f3.5-4.5G for 1-lens travelling.
But if u can carry 2 lenses, then of course go for any of the 2 recommended by espn.

Hi,

i suggest u also get fisheye 10.5mm.

China, have a lot of wide scenery out there.u cant cover all if only 17mm(or 25.5mm in digital). that is my personal experiences.

alan1996 said:
I also use a Feisol CF tripod. I have a Giottos MM 9750 as a monopod. I think I will bring my monopod.

Ok...actually since it is a group tour, I think can just leave the tripod on the bus and bring it down when necessary...

How much will be a monopod like this Giottos?

Status
Not open for further replies.