Jan 13, 2011
Dear All,

1) Tamron 70-300 VC USD
2) EF 70-200 L F4 IS
3) EF 70-300 L F4-5.6 IS
4) EF 100-400 L F4-5.6 IS
5) Go buy other lens....

Which of the above would you choose given the scenario ONLY below

1) The lens would be use sparringly.. Maybe once in a while, when need a certain composition and range given a limited space/confinement.
2) Money is not an issues but need to take into account of the value of money, depreciation over the number of pictures taken given that the lens will be use sparringly.. etc...
3) Weight in terms of bringing it overseas.

Many thks in advance for your opinons and suggestions. (Talk rot abit can lah.....)
If the Cser is going to post those 'question to ponder' opinon, or 'flaunt reply' or 'scarism reply'.. please go to other post and stop wasting ur lifespan replying or wasting my lifespan reading... haha...

for crop sensor, i would recommend the 55-250 IS.

For full frame body and weight efficiency, would be the 28-300mm which gives the most flexibility albeit at possibly lower iq.

Dear All,

1) Tamron 70-300 VC USD
2) EF 70-200 L F4 IS
3) EF 70-300 L F4-5.6 IS
5) Go buy other lens....

1) The lens would be use sparringly.. Maybe once in a while, when need a certain composition and range given a limited space/confinement.
2) Money is not an issues but need to take into account of the value of money, depreciation over the number of pictures taken given that the lens will be use sparringly.. etc...

Many thks in advance for your opinons and suggestions. (Talk rot abit can lah.....)
If the Cser is going to post those 'question to ponder' opinon, or 'flaunt reply' or 'scarism reply'.. please go to other post and stop wasting ur lifespan replying or wasting my lifespan reading... haha...

money not a issues i will get 70-200 2.8 m2
must show off abit ma.. lolz..

Dear All,

1) Tamron 70-300 VC USD
2) EF 70-200 L F4 IS
3) EF 70-300 L F4-5.6 IS
5) Go buy other lens....

It all depend yourself.what are you intend to use/shoot.what kind of pictures do you prefer?

Instead of your last comment you could really spend the time more productive ...

1) Rent the lens, stop buying.
2) If money is not an issue why this blabbering about depreciation per picture? Technically it's wrong because lenses do not lose anything when the picture is taken, no wear and tear. Financially it's wrong because depreciation only applies to companies. Consumer products do not have any depreciation, the money is spend immediately, end of the story. Resale values can be checked in the Buy & Sell section here but should not be your concern, since money is not an issue .. If you have the money to spend then get the best you need (Oh, though about that? There is a difference between 70-200 f/4 and 100-400 f/4-5.6.). If you don't have the money just get what you can afford or rent for the occasion.
3) You will be carrying the lens, not we. What is heavy for a slim lady might be uncritical for the well-trained 80kg guy. What advice do you expect? Check the specs online, compare to a bag of rice or potatoes.

Dear All,

1) Tamron 70-300 VC USD
2) EF 70-200 L F4 IS
3) EF 70-300 L F4-5.6 IS
5) Go buy other lens....

I think I understand what you mean coz I have been in the same situation before. Ended up choosing option 1 since I hardly shoot telephoto and it's the lightest and most affordable. If money is not an issue, then would go for 3. The dimensions of options 2 & 4 are too bulky or heavy to carry overseas unless I change my camera bag.

Instead of your last comment you could really spend the time more productive ...

1) Rent the lens, stop buying.
2) If money is not an issue why this blabbering about depreciation per picture? Technically it's wrong because lenses do not lose anything when the picture is taken, no wear and tear. Financially it's wrong because depreciation only applies to companies. Consumer products do not have any depreciation, the money is spend immediately, end of the story. Resale values can be checked in the Buy & Sell section here but should not be your concern, since money is not an issue .. If you have the money to spend then get the best you need (Oh, though about that? There is a difference between 70-200 f/4 and 100-400 f/4-5.6.). If you don't have the money just get what you can afford or rent for the occasion.
3) You will be carrying the lens, not we. What is heavy for a slim lady might be uncritical for the well-trained 80kg guy. What advice do you expect? Check the specs online, compare to a bag of rice or potatoes.

Please move on to other post... Not being much help to the community... haha

I think I understand what you mean coz I have been in the same situation before. Ended up choosing option 1 since I hardly shoot telephoto and it's the lightest and most affordable. If money is not an issue, then would go for 3. The dimensions of options 2 & 4 are too bulky or heavy to carry overseas unless I change my camera bag.

Thks for sharing your experience ar.. Bro..

Just what I need...

Dear All,

1) Tamron 70-300 VC USD
2) EF 70-200 L F4 IS
3) EF 70-300 L F4-5.6 IS
5) Go buy other lens....

Option 5.
EF 70-200/2.8L IS mk2. And matched with a 1.4x or 1.7x TC.

Option 5.
EF 70-200/2.8L IS mk2. And matched with a 1.4x or 1.7x TC.

Thks ar.. Bro..

Acutally in the back of my mind, I was thinking of this combi also... but matched with 2x TC loh...

Thks ar... ty very much.. but it is the part on the 'occasionally use' that is pulling me back... 'gu gu yong zhe pai' ar....

Please move on to other post... Not being much help to the community... haha
Wow.. and you decide what is helpful to community (whatever that means)? Did you ask or some community? And what makes you think that your behavior is needed 'in the community?
Some people's horizon is a circle with Radios Zero. That's what they call 'Point of View' (Albert Einstein).

Last edited:
Octarine said:
Wow.. and you decide what is helpful to community (whatever that means)? Did you ask or some community? And what makes you think that your behavior is needed 'in the community?
Some people's horizon is a circle with Radios Zero. That's what they call 'Point of View' (Albert Einstein).

Please move on to other post. Thks. Please increase ur post count on other thread. :)
If u feel tt my behavior is offensive, pls move on to other thread or report to moderator. Haha..

teoweeyong said:
Please move on to other post. Thks. Please increase ur post count on other thread. :)
If u feel tt my behavior is offensive, pls move on to other thread or report to moderator. Haha..

You ask "which to choose?", a question of help. The "community" gives personal opinions to the questions asked here. Since you're asking the community, you will definitely expect some harsh comments. But it's for your own good.

Take it as a suggestion, not an enemy.

Octarine said:

Relax bro. Don't bother. Just accept that there are many people out there who cannot decide for themselves or do their own research, and depend on others to spoonfeed them. There are people who cannot buy their own clothes, choose their own wife, buy their own car, etc, all must be decided for them by a concensus of a group of strangers. Maybe its the fault of the rote memorization schooling system.

So just move on. If people are so arrogant that they think they can decide who can and cannot post on their threads in a public forum, then let us feel pity for them and how they must go through life thinking they are something special.

Relax bro. Don't bother. Just accept that there are many people out there who cannot decide for themselves or do their own research, and depend on others to spoonfeed them. There are people who cannot buy their own clothes, choose their own wife, buy their own car, etc, all must be decided for them by a concensus of a group of strangers. Maybe its the fault of the rote memorization schooling system.

So just move on. If people are so arrogant that they think they can decide who can and cannot post on their threads in a public forum, then let us feel pity for them and how they must go through life thinking they are something special.

Have actually done my research, but hope to seek opinon from this forum with ppl having similar experience like CAMINT.

Anyway thks for the remarks. I agreed. 'So just move on'...

I would just get a cheapo telephoto if I use it once in a while or while traveling. like those all in one lenses. i really dont think a large aperture is needed while u r overseas.

You ask "which to choose?", a question of help. The "community" gives personal opinions to the questions asked here. Since you're asking the community, you will definitely expect some harsh comments. But it's for your own good.

Take it as a suggestion, not an enemy.

I think harsh comment is pretty fine... Harsh comment being constructive with relation to experience borned would be better appreciated. I think. :)

Example: Rent and stop buying , but if money no issue - buy the best etc.. (EF ****) , Depreciation should not be calculated out in such a way in my opinon etc...... Based upon my experience, if choose, i choose... etc...

I always thought it is a mentor or mentee stuff within this community, harsh with constructive comments would be nice. Relates of experience to others is always better through trial and error. Learnt from others similar experience is always the ideal way... That is at least what i think... We can always guess the weight of a lens.. potato, rice.. whatever... but how abt one experience and the outcome of it if walk through a simiar path before??

With that relation of experience in hand and thoughts, it better equip and strength ur thoughts on ur final decision.. isn't it?
Example: CAMINT experience which he relates..

I would just get a cheapo telephoto if I use it once in a while or while traveling. like those all in one lenses. i really dont think a large aperture is needed while u r overseas.

yap thks.. saw a cheapo one before at BNS.. Sigma 70-300 going for 300+ if i not wrong... lol.. look it up at the photozone.de as well..

Dunno there is more cheapo around or not.. trying to see got or not... to trial and error first...

Dear All,

1) Tamron 70-300 VC USD
2) EF 70-200 L F4 IS
3) EF 70-300 L F4-5.6 IS
5) Go buy other lens....

if you saying my personal choice, it will be the 70-300L