which to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspire78

Jul 12, 2008
Dear all,

I would liked to get advises from all here knowing which to get for shooting marco on insects with details liked the hair on the spider or fliles etc. Do i choose a kenko extention tube set of 03 or hoya HMC Achromat +5 or the Raynox 250 to add on to my Tamron 90mm f2.8 marco lens?

Thanks thanks.

*newbie here still learning......

Personally, I'll go with the tubes.

so alone for the 90mm i cant get details liked hairs on the spider leg?

so alone for the 90mm i cant get details liked hairs on the spider leg?

It all depends on the size of the insect and how close you can get also.

Hahaha..... if 'BIG' enough.... PnS camera can also 'See Hair' without Macro lens :bsmilie:

Thanks zac08 for replying with good advise everytime. Let say i try to take a dragonfly eyes details? do i use the tube or hoya achromatic CU+5 filter or alone the 90mm can do it???

Some good advise from Mod megaweb here :

Macros and Close-ups FAQs

Both increases the magnification factor, but at a cost of either light or picture sharpness. So far, my only hands on practise with extension tubes are done with reversed lenses and they are not easy to use IMO. The focusing distance is reduced greatly. And you'd need more light on the subject to illuminate it properly.

ok.....what tube u using at the moment or u recomended?

ok.....what tube u using at the moment or u recomended?

Sorry, but I dun own any yet.... I tried those from friends.

I think you'd have more room for trial and error with the triplus set

huh? *blur le....

If you gotta get tubes, i recommend those that allows electronic transmission from the lens to the camera - i.e. the automatic tubes, retaining functions such as metering, control of aperture

The one mentioned by zac is one of them

Ryan

thks thks for replying....what is the rough pricing for it? where to get it also?

i got a reverse ring but when i took the pic, it turned out imagine in a hole....meaning the image in the centre of black circle.....can advise?

i got a reverse ring but when i took the pic, it turned out imagine in a hole....meaning the image in the centre of black circle.....can advise?
did u open up the aperture? most lens are adjusted to their smallest aperture by default, and can be open up by the aperture ring or the metal spring clip at the mount.

sorry wrong info....not reverse ring....its a male to male ring.....but even i reverse my kit lens i also saw the image in the centre of black.....any link or pic i can refer to to open up the aperture? thks thks....

sorry wrong info....not reverse ring....its a male to male ring.....but even i reverse my kit lens i also saw the image in the centre of black.....any link or pic i can refer to to open up the aperture? thks thks....

Which lens to which lens?

it's a common problem of vigenetting when you reverse lenses which may not have large enough apertures.

Here is an example of what happened when I reversed a 24mm f2.8 lens onto a 90mm f2.8 macro lens.

And cropped version :

any link or pic i can refer to to open up the aperture? thks thks....

As far as I know all lenses have the aperture wide open (maximum aperture = minimum aperture number) in normal status. Only when you press the shutter to take the picture then the aperture will be set to the defined value. But this only works if the lens is connected the normal way. For reverse setup or when using rings without electrical connection between lens and camera you need to setup aperture manually. Easy done for manual lenses using the aperture ring. For AF lenses you need to check how your camera works.
Canon: mount the reverse lens in normal way, set the aperture (e.g. in Av mode), press the DOF preview button (check your manual to find it), keep the button pressed while removing the lens (a bit tricky but possible with care). The lens is now set to this aperture and will keep the setting when mounting in reverse. (The aperture will be reset once you mount the lens again in normal way.) For Olympus I know that there is a function "Do not reset lens" which means that after taking a picture the aperture will not be reset but will stay at the set level. The rest is the same as for Canon. Hope that helps.

thks thks for the replies.....

yes zac08 , thats what i mean.....yeah....thks thks.....i mount my tamron 90mm on top of my kits.....hehehheehe.....but now i got a problem.....looked liked dust has got into the lens......blowed n cleaned the exterior but internal seems liked there's dust still when i hold it up against the light.....

thks thks Octarine, i learnt something new today.....thks thks.....btw i am using a canon 300D....hehehehe....thks thks again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.