Which Tele Photo lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samchong

Aug 18, 2008
Clementi
Hi ,I am planning to get an tele photo lens as my second len
wanda to get the Canon - 55-250 IS f4-5.6 or Sigma - 70 -300 APO f4-5.6 ?
Do like the sigma build quality (steel mount) but do not like the Canon plastic mount
Canon is win on the IS hence Sigma do not have ??:)

Look at your budget. What can you afford?

Do you NEED IS?

And what's wrong with a plastic mount? Why don't you like it? You say you do not like, but what's actually wrong with it?

Look at your budget. What can you afford?

Do you NEED IS?

And what's wrong with a plastic mount? Why don't you like it? You say you do not like, but what's actually wrong with it?
The prices for this two lens is quiet close.Sigma Apo come with 2 pieces of SD lens
I do not like plastic mount hence its will wear faster compare to steel:D

The prices for this two lens is quiet close.Sigma Apo come with 2 pieces of SD lens

Unless you are planning to keep your lens for a long long time and change
lens very often. The chances of wearing out the mount is not that easy. :bsmilie:
Also most of the time people will be striked by the BBB virus :devil: and upgrade to better lens by then.

Last edited:
Do like the sigma build quality (steel mount) but do not like the Canon plastic mount

If it's between these 2 lenses, take the 55-250

My two cents... you should question yourself, "What is my objective of buying a telephoto lens?

And, the build of the lens should not become your main consideration.

Example answers:

1. If you only want to isolate distant object (like those bikini babes in Sentosa ;)), any telephoto lens would be enough for you.

2. If composition is important, you beter go for a wide angle lens and get closer to the object :thumbsup:, because, a telephoto lens will help you to isolate distant object, but at the same time it flattened your object composition in the picture.

3. if you want to do portrait or sports, you have to go for f/2.8 telephoto lens, and those are expensive :cry:.

4. if you want to go safari or shoot birds, see no 3 :dunno:

5. *** put your answer here, and choose the correct lens ***

From my personal experience, using a 30D, I find even with my 70-200 (112~320) is not exactly tele, it works great on potraits, If you are using it for modeling and potraits, I think it is fantastic... but if you are using it for animals and street candid, than I do find the range of anything below 300 is not exactly a good reach. I tried a 100-400L and I find that at 300 and 400 on crop sensor, its' gives you really good candid street shots and animals/birds under good lights. Got tons of fun under that lense.

I personally think Sigma does exactly come close in terms of performance only, but it can be on par or over take Canon based on Price/Performance ratio.

Er...my 50mm's mount would've disintegrated by now. It's easily four years old.

Plastic mounts merely cut costs. They do not wear out faster. The primary risk of a plastic mount is that it will snap away from the lens when mounted, and that's only with a strong blow to the lens barrel.

Plastic mounts merely cut costs. They do not wear out faster. The primary risk of a plastic mount is that it will snap away from the lens when mounted, and that's only with a strong blow to the lens barrel.

With a strong blow that can snap a plastic mount, probably the lenses might crack in that process...;p

With a strong blow that can snap a plastic mount, probably the lenses might crack in that process...;p

Precisely, which is why a plastic mount is no cause for concern unless

i) the lens is very heavy
ii) the camera body is very heavy and you carry the whole set up by the lens (which is plain asking for it.)

My two cents... you should question yourself, "What is my objective of buying a telephoto lens?

Example answers:

1. If you only want to isolate distant object (like those bikini babes in Sentosa ;)), any telephoto lens would be enough for you.

2. If composition is important, you beter go for a wide angle lens and get closer to the object :thumbsup:, because, a telephoto lens will help you to isolate distant object, but at the same time it flattened your object composition in the picture.

3. if you want to do portrait or sports, you have to go for f/2.8 telephoto lens, and those are expensive :cry:.

4. if you want to go safari or shoot birds, see no 3 :dunno:

5. *** put your answer here, and choose the correct lens ***
I just want to get a second len for some occasionally tele photo snap eg .Zoo
or make the background blurr for some portrait shot.
Since I already have the 18-55.This may not use as frequently as the 18-55
Thats why I consider these cheap tele photo len;)

From my personal experience, using a 30D, I find even with my 70-200 (112~320) is not exactly tele, it works great on potraits, If you are using it for modeling and potraits, I think it is fantastic... but if you are using it for animals and street candid, than I do find the range of anything below 300 is not exactly a good reach. I tried a 100-400L and I find that at 300 and 400 on crop sensor, its' gives you really good candid street shots and animals/birds under good lights. Got tons of fun under that lense.

I personally think Sigma does exactly come close in terms of performance only, but it can be on par or over take Canon based on Price/Performance ratio.
Yes ,my question is may be between Sigma 70-300 APO and Canon 55-250 IS.Which one has better optical performance ?:confused:

Yes ,my question is may be between Sigma 70-300 APO and Canon 55-250 IS.Which one has better optical performance ?:confused:

Well.. the 55-250 is a canon. :) Best to match canon with canon.

Bro, your 50mm just died. Shh ;)

Another vote for the Canon 55-250IS.

Well.. the 55-250 is a canon. :) Best to match canon with canon.

:cool:Its seen that Canon 55-250 is win over Sigma 70-300 .Most of you all vote this
is because of the matching or the IQ ?;p

Bro, your 50mm just died. Shh ;)

Another vote for the Canon 55-250IS.

It didn't break at the mount.

If you want to read into it, the strong blow, impacting at the lens hood, caused the first element group to separate itself from the lens barrel. The mount did not exhibit any signs of stress. Plastic mounts, lower quality? Ho hum.

Use your blain, use your blain. :kok:

The 55-250 IS is a good lens. Definitely a few lanes ahead of its old non-IS sibling in optical quality.

Last edited:
OT abit...Why not?People buy the Nikon 17-55 over the tamron 17-50 despite only a very tiny bit of difference in IQ.Why?Nikon build is better (by alot) and people like the Nikon name :bsmilie:

To TS:The sigma build is just as crappy as the canon 55-250.For goodness sake...You will probably upgrade before the mount breaks as these are really budget lenses.The Canon got IS also...

I have the 55-250 and had a 28-300 Sigma. Actually if oyu wish to use it at the zoo, having IS would be quite useful. Your 17-55 has IS but you probably have not enjoyed IS's effects noticebly. When you use the 55-250, try 250 mm and holding it, the IS makes a world of difference. That is the biggest reason I still have the lens, even though for telephoto I use a 200-500 mm Tamron. Someday, the lightness and IS is going to come in useful, I tell myself. Haha.

My friend used his 55-250 and 400D to capture the following at the zoo:

- Photos by HornyMOO

It doesn't make sense to purchase a more expensive lens when there's a lower-cost option that's almost exactly the same.

Kinda like a gamer who spends twice the amount of money to purchase an iMac and windows OS just because the "mac is cooler".

Cheers,
Zexun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.