Which TC to go with nikkor 70-300 VRII?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
other than nikkor TC?

yo Numnumball, did u remove a "tab" on the teleconverter to use with this lens?

Kenko TelePlus PRO 300 AF 2.0x and 1.4x DGX

KENKO Teleplus Pro 300 DGX converters are made with precision quality multi-coated optical glass supplied by Hoya Corporation, the worlds largest manufacturer of optical glass. These glass elements were designed to match the optical quality of the prime lens (even at the edges) and telephoto zoom lenses. The optical design of the elements and light path is wide enough not to cause vignetting.

The PRO 300 family are designed specifically to be used with prime telephoto lenses of 100mm or above, such as 300 mm f/2.8 lenses, and work best with telephoto lenses of 200mm to 500mm. The PRO 300 can be used with telephoto zoom lenses as well as prime lenses. However, Kenko does not recommend them for zoom lenses that have a range starting under 50 mm.

KENKO PRO 300 AF Teleplus converters have genuine Gate Array IC (Integrated Circuitry). It means that the converter’s own unique circuitry maintains signal integrity between the camera body and lens. These converters are designed to electronically operate the same way as an original manufacturer’s converter.1

Full AF operation with PRO 300 2.0x DGX is possible when using camera lenses with maximum aperture of F2.8 or brighter. Please be aware that AF will work properly only if there is enough light and contrast on the subject to activate the camera’s AF sensors. (Manual focusing is required when using lenses with smaller maximum f-stop value than those given above.)

With the PRO 300 1.4x, DGX full AF operation is possible with camera lenses having a maximum aperture of F4 or brighter. The same light and contrast requirements apply.

The DGX Teleplus converters have updated circuitry to record exif data more accurately. In the exif exposure data (meta-data recorded with a digital picture) DGX converters record the equivalent aperture and focal length of the lens setting plus tele-converter. Optically and mechanically they are the identical to the prior high-quality DG series converters.

this means 70-300 VRII cannot use this kenko teleconverter 1.4x or 2.0x?

Last edited:
IIRC, Nikon does not recommend the use of a TC with this lens.

IIRC, Nikon does not recommend the use of a TC with this lens.

that is why i look at 3rd party, haha

some say can, some say cannot....

confusing...

hmm...

the 70-300 isnt suitable for any TCs available in the market. in order to use a TC, the lens needs to have a allowance between the rear element inorder to fit.

that is why i look at 3rd party, haha

some say can, some say cannot....

confusing...

hmm...

Bro, actually not cannot, is not recommendabe.

IQ is seriously affected although u get the extra reach;

At 300mm with 2X TC : f5.6 easily becomes f11, which imo, images shot at this focal length will be barely usable..

If u need the extra reach, i rather sell the 70-300 VR and get Sigma 150-500 instead..

hmm... just a suggestion... :)

Bro, actually not cannot, is not recommendabe.

IQ is seriously affected although u get the extra reach;

At 300mm with 2X TC : f5.6 easily becomes f11, which imo, images shot at this focal length will be barely usable..

If u need the extra reach, i rather sell the 70-300 VR and get Sigma 150-500 instead..

hmm... just a suggestion... :)

yo Numnumball, hmm... i did consider the 150-500, but it is too huge and heavy to use as a walk about lens... therefore i decided not to get that

hmm.... i also not considering the 2x TC... cos if cannot AF, then hard to do nature(bird) photogprahy... that is why only considering the 1.4x and 1.7x TC... but not v sure can fit or not... and according to the official website, it says need to have F4 or bigger aperture but my 70-300 is F4.5... but i google a lot, some says still can AF... maybe really need to go try out...

the 70-300 isnt suitable for any TCs available in the market. in order to use a TC, the lens needs to have a allowance between the rear element inorder to fit.

the nikkor one cannot, but the 3rd party one might be able to...

i also found a link that mod the nikkor one

did my research :p

http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/

Kenko TelePlus PRO 300 AF 2.0x and 1.4x DGX

this means 70-300 VRII cannot use this kenko teleconverter 1.4x or 2.0x?

The reason is, you lose about 2 stops of light while using a TC. For most of the DSLR's the AF system requires at least F5.6 to auto focus, else your system will be hunting for focus or can't focus at all. Imagine if your zoom lens at the tele end can offer you only 5.6 as the max aperture and if you combine that with a TC and lose 2 more stops, you can't do AF with the TC on.

yo Numnumball, hmm... i did consider the 150-500, but it is too huge and heavy to use as a walk about lens... therefore i decided not to get that

hmm.... i also not considering the 2x TC... cos if cannot AF, then hard to do nature(bird) photogprahy... that is why only considering the 1.4x and 1.7x TC... but not v sure can fit or not... and according to the official website, it says need to have F4 or bigger aperture but my 70-300 is F4.5... but i google a lot, some says still can AF... maybe really need to go try out...

Your 70-300mm is F4.5 only when it is at 70mm. It becomes F5.6 when you reach the 300mm Tele end..

Your 70-300mm is F4.5 only when it is at 70mm. It becomes F5.6 when you reach the 300mm Tele end..

yes i know i know, that is why i said "need bigger than F4", i know F4.5 and F5.6 is smaller, which means cannot AF with TC in the first place, but some people tried and said can AF, but u know on the web and dun know what other forum, dun know can trust or not...

sorry to say that the 70 300 Vr is VR 1. And this lens wont do any good with a TC.

sorry to say that the 70 300 Vr is VR 1. And this lens wont do any good with a TC.

the 70-300 that i am holding is a VRII

"In conjunction with their announcement of the new D80 digital SLR Nikon has also revealed two new lenses, the first of which is the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (a mouthful if there ever was one). This lens features ED glass, Internal Focusing, a Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction (II), it provides an equivalent field of view of 105 - 450 mm on a DX format digital SLR (such as the new D80) and has a maximum aperture of F4.5 at wide angle and F5.6 at telephoto. It will priced at $699 in the US and £399 in the UK and should be available in October."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080901nikonafs70-300vrlens.asp

the 70-300 that i am holding is a VRII

"In conjunction with their announcement of the new D80 digital SLR Nikon has also revealed two new lenses, the first of which is the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (a mouthful if there ever was one). This lens features ED glass, Internal Focusing, a Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction (II), it provides an equivalent field of view of 105 - 450 mm on a DX format digital SLR (such as the new D80) and has a maximum aperture of F4.5 at wide angle and F5.6 at telephoto. It will priced at $699 in the US and £399 in the UK and should be available in October."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080901nikonafs70-300vrlens.asp

Technically you're right..The VR mechanism is already on its second iteration on the 70-300mm VR. But Nikon sold it as AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED and not VRII. The same goes for the first revision of 18-200mm which was also based on the VRII mechanism but sold simply as 18-200mm VR. But for clarity sake, please address your lens as AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Last edited:
Technically you're right..The VR mechanism is already on its second iteration on the 70-300mm VR. But Nikon sold it as AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED and not VRII. The same goes for the first revision of 18-200mm which was also based on the VRII mechanism but sold simply as 18-200mm VR. But for clarity sake, please address your lens as AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

ok, but please realised that this is going out of topic here. I am not v concern whether it is VRI or VRII, or rather the teleconverter is why i start this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.