Which strength filter for sunrise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron

Jan 11, 2008
Planning to get a simple ND filter for sunrise shots but can't decide which one would be better. ND2, ND4 or ND8? I'm thinking as the sun is not at its strongest maybe i can get away with an ND4 or even nd2?

Hmm... why do you need an ND filter for sunrise? :think:

what is the purpose of using ND filter for sunrise?

if you are really include the sun in your sunrise, why don't just simply increase the shutter speed?

I tried taking some from an aeroplane and it seemed to bright. How do you guys take sunrises? I'm aiming for half the sun above the horizon effect. Also, will it damage the sensor to aim right at the sun?

I tink wat u need is a GND filter instead of ND...:)

I tink wat u need is a GND filter instead of ND...:)

Thanks. I thought about that but the screw in type has the graduation in the middle so i thought just a normal ND screw in type. I'm thinking COkin P-type filters a bit bulky for simple shot but maybe its worth it. Hmmmfff... got me thinking now.

I tried taking some from an aeroplane and it seemed to bright. How do you guys take sunrises? I'm aiming for half the sun above the horizon effect. Also, will it damage the sensor to aim right at the sun?

If it's too bright then lower down exposure (either manually or via exposure compensation). For selective darkening use GND. Cokin works nice, don't know what is bulky about a piece of plastic filter holder and a filter. Take your time, setup the cam on tripod. Then you have hands free to adjust the filter.

err, when u are composing the picture aiming at the sun, u will only damage your eyes as the mirror is not lifted up. :sweatsm:

u will probably only damage the sensor if u use bulb mode and expose the sensor for prolonged period to the sun. :bsmilie:

err, when u are composing the picture aiming at the sun, u will only damage your eyes as the mirror is not lifted up. :sweatsm:

u will probably only damage the sensor if u use bulb mode and expose the sensor for prolonged period to the sun. :bsmilie:

Heh.. thanks man! :bsmilie:

If it's too bright then lower down exposure (either manually or via exposure compensation). For selective darkening use GND. Cokin works nice, don't know what is bulky about a piece of plastic filter holder and a filter. Take your time, setup the cam on tripod. Then you have hands free to adjust the filter.

I guess you're right. If i use ND only, can't see the foreground! Thanks Octarine.

Ah, that's why we hear so much stories about eye damages... We are talking about sunset / sunrise here, not sun at High Noon.

That's the price for not having the faintest idea about photography. Everybody else will just get the pictures they want .. more or less .. without any damage to the camera.

That's the price for not having the faintest idea about photography. Everybody else will just get the pictures they want .. more or less .. without any damage to the camera.

Sorry a bit confused here. I take it that shooting into the sun will cause damage?

I have used NDs for sunrise / sunsets as well. But to smoothen the foreground waters. Stacked with a GND filter to balance exposure.

Ryan

for my.... daytime ND 4x is not enuff got very very smooth water.. Not sure abt sunrise...

For me, the cheap cokins are my choice for GNDs though I rarely use them anymore due to my current obsession with HDR :)

For me, the cheap cokins are my choice for GNDs though I rarely use them anymore due to my current obsession with HDR :)

true, the cokin filters are economical and good for your wallet :)

each one goes for about 12 bucks. and to TS, you have a budget for your filters?

Planning to get a simple ND filter for sunrise shots but can't decide which one would be better. ND2, ND4 or ND8? I'm thinking as the sun is not at its strongest maybe i can get away with an ND4 or even nd2?

you don't need nd filters to shoot the sun ..

Sun ray will damage DSLR sensor ? :confused:
no. not unless you do stupid things.

there is a POSSIBLE issue with dslr with live view though.. if you keep pointing it at the sun, remember that the mirror is up, and you are focusing a strong light/heat source onto your sensor.
Thanks. I thought about that but the screw in type has the graduation in the middle so i thought just a normal ND screw in type. I'm thinking COkin P-type filters a bit bulky for simple shot but maybe its worth it. Hmmmfff... got me thinking now.

screw in type means your horizon is fixed. means you only have half half composition all the time.

don't be lazy and get a slot in type filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.