Which Sony compact digi cam should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit90210

May 11, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a compact digi cam from Sony. Can't consider the F717 cos too bulky, needed something light.

Should have at least 3 megapix with 3x optical zoom.

I think Sony P series has so many models in the market and they are so similar in shapes and features that I'm very confused.

Any recommendations, guys?

Thanks!
:embrass:

Originally posted by kit90210
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a compact digi cam from Sony. Can't consider the F717 cos too bulky, needed something light.

Should have at least 3 megapix with 3x optical zoom.

I think Sony P series has so many models in the market and they are so similar in shapes and features that I'm very confused.

Any recommendations, guys?

Thanks!
:embrass:

P72 then .... hope you have enuff the MS Pro ... u may want to consider other alternatives. Why don't you shed some light on your requirements, then it will be easier for forum members to recommend one.

Sigh... cos can recycle the memory stick for my video cam and Clie PDA...so no choice. If I buy other makes, will have to invest in memory media. So trying to cut down costs here.
:)

Originally posted by Retro
P72 then .... hope you have enuff the MS Pro ... u may want to consider other alternatives. Why don't you shed some light on your requirements, then it will be easier for forum members to recommend one.

It can use normal Memory Stick right? Not just the MS Pro right? Hee... don't know what's the diff between these 2 types of MS... ;p

Break out of the chain! I did, I have a Cybershot and Clie, but got myself an Olympus 5050. I agree that you may save some money, but why let yourself be constraint by your other 'toys'?

If you have a reasonable budget, then there are other options that you can consider, right?

It can use normal Memory Stick right? Not just the MS Pro right? Hee... don't know what's the diff between these 2 types of MS... ;p

MS Pro has higher capacity (256MB, 512MB, 1GB), but would also cost you quite a bit. So in the end, still have to spend some $$$. 128MB enough for you?

Thanks. What's the diff between P71 and P72?... How much is it?

How's P72 compared with P8? Read from CNET that P8's also selling well...
:)

MS Pro has higher capacity (256MB, 512MB, 1GB), but would also cost you quite a bit. So in the end, still have to spend some $$$. 128MB enough for you?

Thanks for the info, Retro.

Well, the cam is actually for a lady friend of mine who's going overseas to study for 3 years, so she likes a compact digi cam, she has a Sony DV cam and a Clie. I'm tasked to buy a camera for her. ;) I've recommended her mju 300 since it's weather-proof and has remote control, but she really likes to recycle her memory stick....:rolleyes:

Honestly, I haven't checked out the newer ones since I got my 5050. You can check with the Sony shop at SLS. The guy there is really helpful. He explained the differences and advantages/disadvantages between the various models even though it was clearly evident that I wasn't going to buy a camera.

What's your budget for a digi cam? The P72 was selling at about $599? then (I think) ... and Sony prices are controlled, so no point bargaining (unless you buy export set)

Honestly, I haven't checked out the newer ones since I got my 5050. You can check with the Sony shop at SLS. The guy there is really helpful. He explained the differences and advantages/disadvantages between the various models even though it was clearly evident that I wasn't going to buy a camera.

What's your budget for a digi cam? The P72 was selling at about $599? then (I think) ... and Sony prices are controlled, so no point bargaining (unless you buy export set)

Thanks Retro for the info.... Appreciate it;) Ok will go and take a look at the P72. The budget is less than $700.

No problem .... but seriously, for $700 you should really consider the other great cameras that are available ... anyway, it's your call mate.

Yes, like Canon A70, Olympus mju 300, Ixus?

Hello all,

Price of P8 is $635 before gst.
Price of P72 is $520 before gst.

Just for your info :thumbsup:

Hello all,

Price of P8 is $635 before gst.
Price of P72 is $520 before gst.

Just for your info :thumbsup:

hi just got even updated prices...
P-71 $540
P-72 $500
P-8 $620

prices incl gst

or you can consider p92...........5 mega pixel with long shoot capacity...........and reasonable price too....

Status
Not open for further replies.