Which SLR is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Hi guys,

I am looking at the following 2nd hand SLRs. Which is a better choice based on your experience :think:? Thanks in advanced. ;)

1. Canon EOS 300 QD (film camera) with Battery Grip and Vivitar 28-210/F4.2-6.5 with Skylight filter (67mm) and hood. Will throw in a no-brand toploader that can hold everything just nice.
RP: $300

2. Pentax MZ-6 body + battery pack, condition : 9/10
and Pentax FA 28-90mm F3.5-5.6 SMC, condition 9/10
Reserve price for the set above : $200.00

3.EOS 88 body - Working Well (8/10)
EF 35-80mm f4-5.6 - Working Well(7/10)
EF 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 - Fungus infection, but not affecting picture(5/10)

I m edging towards the one in 1 but 2 seems tempting as well with $100 to spend on another lens. 3 is alrite it's just that the fungus infection is bothering me.

pentax user pool and range of lenses is not that much . it will be a psychological disadvantage

user111 said:
pentax user pool and range of lenses is not that much . it will be a psychological disadvantage

i see also if i send the lens for cleaning how much will it roughly cost?

I think EOS300 mount is made of plastic. Heard that it can break when you mount heavy lens. Try looking for EOS 300V. Metal mount.

Pentax. Very hard to find lenses.

Edit. Are you sure you want to risk a fungus infected lens? Might end up spending more with servicing.

I'm using the pentaz mz-6. be warned that the 28-90 lens that come with it is not good. very soft images. however, i have some other pk-mount lenses and i just love the mz-6. its a great body. metering is spot-on.

not worth cleaning unless u love the lens "till death do us part" ;) usually cleaning is say 100+/- bucks . depends on what the technician diagnose

Ben1223 said:
I think EOS300 mount is made of plastic. Heard that it can break when you mount heavy lens.

Silm chances that the mount will break, unless you mount a multi-kg lens without proper support...

I'm quite skeptical about the quality of the Vivitar lens of the EOS 300 package. You may want to try shaving off $50-100 and get another lens instead, but I doubt that will be possible.

If you are really willing to live low-end, the EOS 88 package will do good as well, good enough for a first-time SLR owner.

Ah Pao said:
Silm chances that the mount will break, unless you mount a multi-kg lens without proper support...

Slim yes. But it has happened. I was considering this cam two years ago before I bought an SLR. Stumbled across a webpage where the poster had first hand experience of the mount breaking.

Anyway, Klose, don't be so hasty. There will be better offers in Buy n Sell.

I got a 2nd hand SLR body for $100 from here last December. Same model as my 1st cam but is in even better condition. Just watch and wait.

Klose said:
Hi guys,

I am looking at the following 2nd hand SLRs. Which is a better choice based on your experience :think:? Thanks in advanced. ;)

1. Canon EOS 300 QD (film camera) with Battery Grip and Vivitar 28-210/F4.2-6.5 with Skylight filter (67mm) and hood. Will throw in a no-brand toploader that can hold everything just nice.
RP: $300

2. Pentax MZ-6 body + battery pack, condition : 9/10
and Pentax FA 28-90mm F3.5-5.6 SMC, condition 9/10

3.EOS 88 body - Working Well (8/10)
EF 35-80mm f4-5.6 - Working Well(7/10)
EF 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 - Fungus infection, but not affecting picture(5/10)

I m edging towards the one in 1 but 2 seems tempting as well with $100 to spend on another lens. 3 is alrite it's just that the fungus infection is bothering me.

Hi there,
is there any brand or the price of the cam that you are going to spent? :think:

tink about wat u need.... a camera is a means to and end...its no more then a tool

tink about functions..if u dun know wat a slr has to offer then perhaps u should read up more before buying....it will make ya buy a more satisfying one in this way i feel ..then see if the cam can do wat u want...then go on and see the build and price... its the same for buying many things....

cheers....

joe said:
Hi there,
is there any brand or the price of the cam that you are going to spent? :think:

just scouting arnd but i am looking at canons and nikons since i am able to get more lens if i intend to upgrade :)

Ben1223 said:
Anyway, Klose, don't be so hasty. There will be better offers in Buy n Sell.

I got a 2nd hand SLR body for $100 from here last December. Same model as my 1st cam but is in even better condition. Just watch and wait.

Thanks for your advise. What's your opinion on the Nikon F401s. Somebody is offering me the body for $120 cond is abt 8/10. Is it worth it? can use the excess cash to get a len or two. Also how's the EOS 66?

Klose said:
Thanks for your advise. What's your opinion on the Nikon F401s. Somebody is offering me the body for $120 cond is abt 8/10. Is it worth it? can use the excess cash to get a len or two. Also how's the EOS 66?

Sorry. I'm not familiar with those models. They're quite old. I went into SLR
when EOS300V, F75 and Dynax 5 where the latest models competing (back in 2002). So I'm quite partial for these models and above.

If I had the money I would go for the F80 I saw in Buy n Sell going for $380 (body only). I would haggle though. Brand new for this one is abound $800 upwards. Has everything an amateur needs: can attach a cable release, has PC synch for connecting to studio flash, spot metering, AE lock, etc. Not sure if it has rear curtain synch, mirror lock or flash compensation. Nikonians would be more familiar. I like this cam even if I don't own one.

I will suggest a least a F75 or Canon's EOS 300

Brand new with kit lens ard $700, but a 2nd hand one shld be less than $500

Or a 2nd hand FM2 (last I heard was ard $400) for something more "traditional"

Cos the F75 can support new-er lenses from Nikon's inventory, such as G-lenses, or Lenses with AF-S or VR.

Getting a older camra, may mean that you have to compromise and restrict your choice of lenses for the camera.

Such as F60, not being able to AF on AF-S lenses and no VR support..etc

Why not consider either thhe Nikon F80 or the Canon EOS50? Good and sturdy, and great film performance.

snowspeeder said:
Why not consider either thhe Nikon F80 or the Canon EOS50? Good and sturdy, and great film performance.

Cos the 3 cameras in his 1st post is below $300 and I presume his budget is ard there....
Yes the F80 is a great camera from which the only thing bugging me is that why it does not have a shutter release for its vertical grip (which is more like a battery pack thats all)

If I recall correctly, the F75 was released after the F80, and the metering of the F75 is a 25 segment 3D metering which is NEWER than F80's 10 segment 3D metering.

If it's just the 3 in the list, I'd suggest you to go with the Pentax. It's good enough for a start, and you can always get more lenses (if you need to) in the future. Pentax got some nice and cheap old manual lenses, very good for you to learn photography.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Winston said:
Cos the 3 cameras in his 1st post is below $300 and I presume his budget is ard there....
Yes the F80 is a great camera from which the only thing bugging me is that why it does not have a shutter release for its vertical grip (which is more like a battery pack thats all)

If I recall correctly, the F75 was released after the F80, and the metering of the F75 is a 25 segment 3D metering which is NEWER than F80's 10 segment 3D metering.

actually it isnt really my budget. I just want to get one to get a feel first to see and feel what i really need in a slr b4 i make the big purchase :)

fengwei said:
If it's just the 3 in the list, I'd suggest you to go with the Pentax. It's good enough for a start, and you can always get more lenses (if you need to) in the future. Pentax got some nice and cheap old manual lenses, very good for you to learn photography.

Good luck and happy shooting.

The pentax has already been reserved :dunno: How's the Canon EOS66 package paired with Zoom Lens EF28-80 f/3.5-5.6II plus a sigma 28-300

Klose said:
The pentax has already been reserved :dunno: How's the Canon EOS66 package paired with Zoom Lens EF28-80 f/3.5-5.6II plus a sigma 28-300

Oh man, you don't know what you just missed. I just saw and held that Pentax in my hands (I bought a 50mm lens from the same seller :D), it's in like brand new condition, and seems works great too. Pity it's been bought by another guy.

Anyway, as for the other two, I don't have any comment. Hope others can help you out.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.