Which SLR Camera to start with for newbie?Pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyde

Jul 30, 2002
hyde.fateback.com
Hi Guys,
I'm a super newbie here, dun even own a camera now but would like to get one SLR camera and start learning and playing with it.
Any good recommandation for a good and not exp camera to start up with?
Thanks.

$300?
Less then $400 or so.
I dun mind get a 2nd hand one.
Thanks for the reply.

but consider film slr camera is an investment. not to forget u need to buy negative film($4), process and develop it($10). For positive(reversal, slide), you need to spend $8 for a roll and $4 for processing. You also need to buy light box and loupe for slide.

I am not trying to discourage you in buying an SLR camera, but just to let you know it is not a cheap hobby.

u may consider a 2nd-hand EOS300. I think someone is selling his...

btw, u need some budget for the lens, can start from a Canon 50mm/f1.8, new for S$135 and used for less than S$100.

In this day and age, I would think the best kind of camera to learn about photography on is a digital camera.

With digital, a learner can get immediate feedback on how changing variables affect the outcome of the photo. No need to shoot rolls of under- and over-exposed film to figure out exposure settings.

It's also easy to get the images into a PC so you can mess around with a less than perfect image.

Originally posted by Eric
In this day and age, I would think the best kind of camera to learn about photography on is a digital camera.

With digital, a learner can get immediate feedback on how changing variables affect the outcome of the photo. No need to shoot rolls of under- and over-exposed film to figure out exposure settings.

It's also easy to get the images into a PC so you can mess around with a less than perfect image.

But getting a decent digital camera cost more than a normal SLR. ;)

Thanks for those replies again.
So wat r the recommanded decent and not really ex digital camera for a beginner to start with?
Wat's the range of price?
Thanks....
Seems like I got to save up for some time... : )

rather than buy a prosumer digicam for $1k+, you would be better off buying a budget digicam at $599 and plunking down $400 odd for a 2nd hand nearly new SLR+lens.

I agree with Eric and erwinx. Since you're still new to photography, it's much easier to start learning with a mid-range digital camera (S$500 or thereabouts). Moreover, a film SLR may seem cheaper at first, but once you start investing in lenses, flash, blah blah blah, it kind of snowballs from there (just ask the veterans here... :D).

Once you've gotten a feel for photography in general, you will know yourself where to head next and what you want to buy.

Well, my advice is to start out with a normal SLR, like the EOS 300.

Once you have got the real hang of it, understand the f-stops and shutter speed stuff and blah blah, AND is able to shoot serious + better photos, then maybe it's time to upgrade. Else, practice more. Practice makes perfect.

FYI: I'm speaking from personal experience. :)

Dynax 4 is Minolta latest camera, it is good feature and good buy for starter. It is very cheap too. EOS 300 is an old camera but that does not mean old camera cannot take good picture.

try www.photographyreview.com and compare some of the cameras. Get back to us if you still in doubt.

Originally posted by hyde
Thanks for those replies again.
So wat r the recommanded decent and not really ex digital camera for a beginner to start with?
Wat's the range of price?
Thanks....
Seems like I got to save up for some time... : )

I'm new in photography, after reading the posting on this forum, most of them recommend the Canon A40 and I've got myself one last month. Cost less than $599, you can get it cheaper in CP.

A good digi camera for beginners who wanted to learn photography.

Above is based on my own expriences and personal opinion... :)

Thanks for all ur replies...
It's nice to see you guys so helpful and willing to ans my qns.
:)

Originally posted by ninelives
Dynax 4 is Minolta latest camera, it is good feature and good buy for starter. It is very cheap too. EOS 300 is an old camera but that does not mean old camera cannot take good picture.

Hi ninelives, are you toking about this model by Minolta?
http://www.minolta.com.sg/products/photographic/product.asp?id=6

Seems like a cool one...Do you know how much does it cost rougly?
By the way, u said it is Minolta latest camera? It came out quite some time back rite? Pls correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

Originally posted by hyde
Originally posted by ninelives

Hi ninelives, are you toking about this model by Minolta?
http://www.minolta.com.sg/products/photographic/product.asp?id=6

Seems like a cool one...Do you know how much does it cost rougly?
By the way, u said it is Minolta latest camera? It came out quite some time back rite? Pls correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.
not this, should be this : http://www.minolta.com/cameras/camera_mc/slr/maxxum4/index.html

Originally posted by andretan
Well, my advice is to start out with a normal SLR, like the EOS 300.

Once you have got the real hang of it, understand the f-stops and shutter speed stuff and blah blah, AND is able to shoot serious + better photos, then maybe it's time to upgrade. Else, practice more. Practice makes perfect.

FYI: I'm speaking from personal experience. :)

I agree very much with Andre that practice makes perfect. I guess a lot of the choice whether you start with film or digicam depends on how you learn best.

I had been thinking about learning more about photography for more than 5 years. Considered getting an SLR a few times over that period. In the end, I bought a digicam.

My problem is that I'm not a very good or patient learner. If I need to make an adjustment, write it down in my notebook, and then wait 1-2 days for the film to come out to see the results, I loose interest very quickly. Some people can learn like that, I cannot. Some people like the anticipation of waiting for the film to be developed. I'm too impatient.

I need immediate feedback. Take a picture of a sunset and meter on the sun - oops, everything else is too dark. Try meter on foreground - better but now sky is too bright. Try meter on sky - much better :) I find it much easier to learn this way. I blew about 80 exposures on a sunset (bracketed every shot). But after that, I got a much better feel of what I was doing wrong, and I didn't cost me anything on film or developing. The best shot turned out a little under-exposed. Nevermind, adjust the levels a bit in photoshop. Now at least nice enough to develop into a photo and paste on my office cubicle :) Motivation to carry on shooting.

Working on composition is also easier on PC. I generally shoot slightly wider and then crop on PC. Many helpful comments from others like, "maybe if you go for tighter crop...", "what if you put the subject on the right side of the photo", etc. Open photoshop and try it out. As I slowly get better, I tend to need to adjust the composition less.

Of course I'm still just a newbie (only had my camera for 2 months), but I'm sure I would be even greener if I started on an SLR.

Good luck, Hyde! You should choose something you will be comfortable learning with. Something that matches your learning style. A pro with a kiddy camera can easily best a kiddy with a pro camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.