Which SLR Camera for a Newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnierain

Aug 23, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

any recommendations for a decent SLR camera & lens for a newbie? budget is >$1200.

am kindda troubled :sweat: over this pending purchase, no time to find out more information as well (also, those specs are Greek to me)... :dunno:

advice needed... thanks for the help! :cheers:

Before we help suggest,

Think of what kind of photos you like to take?

Family gathering, mainly people etc

Or landscape?

Or insects world?

The SLR camera is a SYSTEM with many options to cater to the above. But it might not be the only system for you to explore.

So kindly share more before members here can help.

BTW, Welcome to clubsnap!

With your kind of budget, can go for a EOS 33 (S$644+Gst) and a EF 28-105 USM II (S$515+Gst) General Purpose Combo. Its a pretty decent kit and should last you years if you handle it properly.

jasonpgc said:
With your kind of budget, can go for a EOS 33 (S$644+Gst) and a EF 28-105 USM II (S$515+Gst) General Purpose Combo. Its a pretty decent kit and should last you years if you handle it properly.

yup this combo is the best so far.. or pay few dollars more get the eos30 with eye control.. me oso using this combo.. it's more than enuf.. great lens n great cam.. when u haf saved more $$ u can consider a telephoto lens :)

West_ray said:
wah ... u mean ur budget is more than $1200 ??? :bigeyes:
hi thanks for pointing out, i meant <$1200... thank God most of you understood that...

hi all, i should be looking at taking holiday photos, gatherings, etc... of course i would wish i could take good pics of anything else, but i doubt that will be the case!

why doubt yourself? dont do that. just some words of encouragement.
i would recommend an F80 and any lens that suits your needs.. most probabley a standard zoom... like 24-85

price would come up to be about 1100 and the F80 is usable with all the pro lens and flash that you may want to get when you feel that your shots are awesome...hehe

showtime said:
why doubt yourself? dont do that. just some words of encouragement.
i would recommend an F80 and any lens that suits your needs.. most probabley a standard zoom... like 24-85

price would come up to be about 1100 and the F80 is usable with all the pro lens and flash that you may want to get when you feel that your shots are awesome...hehe

Actually, F80 and the 28-105mm better. it's a more versatile lense though it sometimes cause vignetting at 28mm with filters on.

sunnierain said:
hi all, i should be looking at taking holiday photos, gatherings, etc... of course i would wish i could take good pics of anything else, but i doubt that will be the case!

If you looking at taking travel photos:-
Get an lightweight SLR like
f75, EOS300V etc plus one all in one lens like tamron 28-200.
Of course you can choose Point and Shoot also (for gathering and likely to carry around)

1) Film Point and Shoot:-
Oly MjuII 35mm fixed lens
Ricoh fixed lens etc

2) If you want digital point and shoot:-
Can try canon a70
But additional steps of getting it into computer and working on it before printing.

Photography as a hobby, one need to invest time to improve your skill and get more wonderful shoots.

Kira said:
Actually, F80 and the 28-105mm better. it's a more versatile lense though it sometimes cause vignetting at 28mm with filters on.

ah well said... for travel and things like that, the 105 range is good... good forsight kira...

hi folks,

thanks for the replies. the F80 + 28-105mm lens will cost cost to $1600 (got the prices from the Nikon website).... rather high.....

read from The Straits Times that the F75 is going at $699 (bundled up with 28-80mm & 240mm f4.5-5.6D lens & other frills). is the F75 a good buy?

am looking at the something that can last me for a longer time...

sunnierain said:
hi folks,

thanks for the replies. the F80 + 28-105mm lens will cost cost to $1600 (got the prices from the Nikon website).... rather high.....

read from The Straits Times that the F75 is going at $699 (bundled up with 28-80mm & 240mm f4.5-5.6D lens & other frills). is the F75 a good buy?

Haha.
Don't EVER look at the recommended retail prices from the Nikon website, they are 99.9% inaccurate.

To get a more accurate pricing estimate, ask for a e-quote @ www.cathayphoto.com.sg

They have quite good pricing. :)

sunnierain said:
hi folks,

Well, I got my for slightly less then $1200 brand new.... You can try buying second hand if it's to high for you. Think the 2nd hand price should be less then $1k.....

sunnierain said:
hi folks,

like the others have already said, the price is not accurate on the nikon singapore website.
and if you are wanting to really pursue this interest, i reckon that you might soon be tired of the F75 and want something better. like a F80 hehe :D

but yes, the F75 pakage is a good buy. all the free gifts and all, plus the telephoto zoom (its an old lens though), makes it worth it.

check out www.kenrockwell.com for his comments on all the range of nikon cameras. he makes a good evaluation.
cheers

thank you all very much for the recommendation.... i guess the F80 shall be it..... thanks once again....

SNAG said:
Haha.
Don't EVER look at the recommended retail prices from the Nikon website, they are 99.9% inaccurate.

To get a more accurate pricing estimate, ask for a e-quote @ www.cathayphoto.com.sg

They have quite good pricing. :)

Only 99.9%?

I always thought they are 100% inaccurate.

I have yet to see a single product (body or lens or flash) priced in Nikon or Canon Singapore's website that reflects what you get in stores.

sunnierain said:
thank you all very much for the recommendation.... i guess the F80 shall be it..... thanks once again....

good shooting. you will be delighted.

lightweight! yes! absolutely!

And invest in a good camera bag with easy to reach compartments! especially when you go through customs in some countries (especially in little johnny's arse end of the world) where they make you take out every bloody thing in your suitcase and hand luggage AND claim your logitech webcam and your 70-200mm lens looks like a bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.