Which should I get the EP1 or GF1 or LX3

nickeholaus

May 11, 2010
I'm planning on getting a camara to start of my photography hobby, soooo i'm a amatuer right now who knows almost next to nothing. I'm planning in investing in either a EP1 or LX3 initially but I've read online tt most reviews points towards the GF1 as a better camara than the EP1

I need help from anyone ! Who can tell me which camara is better suited for an amatuer like me. I just want a camara where I can start learning more about photography and which is also a more economical buy. PLEASE HELP !!

GF1. I got a white one... very unconventional color for a camera.

I'm planning on getting a camara to start of my photography hobby, soooo i'm a amatuer right now who knows almost next to nothing. I'm planning in investing in either a EP1 or LX3 initially but I've read online tt most reviews points towards the GF1 as a better camara than the EP1

I need help from anyone ! Who can tell me which camara is better suited for an amatuer like me. I just want a camara where I can start learning more about photography and which is also a more economical buy. PLEASE HELP !!

there is no such thing as an "absolutely better camera"

for example, in a place where dslrs are not allowed, a P&S camera is better than nothing.

both GF-1 and EP-1 and LX3 are all able cameras. the GF-1 and EP-1 might be better at handling low light situations, but they are less compact than the LX3 anyways.

all 3 have manual controls, and therefore will help you learn "more" about photography.

anyone else who pushes one particular camera at you is assuming that you are them.

there is no such thing as an "absolutely better camera"

for example, in a place where dslrs are not allowed, a P&S camera is better than nothing.

both GF-1 and EP-1 and LX3 are all able cameras. the GF-1 and EP-1 might be better at handling low light situations, but they are less compact than the LX3 anyways.

all 3 have manual controls, and therefore will help you learn "more" about photography.

anyone else who pushes one particular camera at you is assuming that you are them.

Spoken like a snr, well say :thumbsup: . There is no one "best" camera in this world. Each got their plus and minus. but you have to remember, EP-1 no build in flash. You have to buy external flash unit while ends up bigger in side and slightly more in weight. :bsmilie:

It depends on what works for you. Each has its pros and cons so google and read up reviews. They may just describe your needs. Cheers.

I was in a similar dilemma recently. I wanted a smaller camera to accompany my dslr so I could have a camera with me wherever I went. I ended up with an LX3 coz its much smaller, cheaper, and I wouldnt have to worry about changing lenses and stuff like that.

Maybe you wanna consider price of the camera itself, plus other accessories like some have mentioned earlier, like flash,batteries,memory cards, casing etc.

And I guess if you're not sure if you wanna stick with the hobby, go for something cheaper on the 2nd hand market, so if you think photography isn't your thing, then at least you havent invested too heavily. =)

i had the same problem when deciding my camera as well ... i end up with LX3 as my priority is the size of the camera. (previously was comparing between Canon G11, Panasonic LX3 and Canon S90)

Reason why LX3 instead of the sleek S90 is becoz when i tried on S90, it gave me a very flimsy feeling like its going to spoil soon too...

Like mentioned above, all cameras had their pros and cons.

so u might want to see what you want, prioritized them, cost is also main factor too.

Anyway i got my LX3 since early this year, the only thing i wish it could be better is zoom feature. Other then that, its making loving photograhpy more and more each time i used it.

.... ^^ Hope you get a camera soon, love it and start clicking :heart:

The LX3 is quite different from EP1 & GF1 and the pricing differs too.

Maybe you can also consider Samsung NX10 ( correct number hor ?) and G10 /G11 . All these provides adequate full manual functions for you to explore

If you reallllyyyy don't know anything about photography, then any camera also can - you will surely learn something.

The big issue to you would be cost. What are you willing to part with?

BTW EP1/GF1 nearly double the cost of LX3.

You don't need an expensive camera to learn about photography.
Have you looked at the E-PL1 or even a Pentax Kx?
Ultimately what suits u may not be the same for all. So, have fun reading and make your choices.

Should consider Panasonic FZ35. Excellent Image Quality and AVCHD video, 18X superzoom, Power OIS, intelligent Auto and Manual control so good to learn photo skills, and very portable. Checkout professional review and user review e.g. steves-digicam forum and cheap too $5XX from ebay.

Should consider Panasonic FZ35. Excellent Image Quality and AVCHD video, 18X superzoom, Power OIS, intelligent Auto and Manual control so good to learn photo skills, and very portable. Checkout professional review and user review e.g. steves-digicam forum and cheap too $5XX from ebay.

Ehy always recommend ebay? You still need to pay shipping, GST, etc, then might not even get local support!

With those specs, I'd much rather recommend the sony HX5V.

Thanks for the help guys !

I would consider the LX3 if it was cheaper. At 799 it's not say alot cheaper than EP1. Best denki currently has a promo which retails it at 1080 (after the 200 trade in offer) with the external flash, 8gb card, I'm not sure if they're adding anything else into the deal. I wouldn't mind paying 200 more for the EP1, I believe there's more value for money. And I kinda believe the EP1 would have higher resale value if I ever want to sell it second hand.

Anyways I think I've set my heart on the EP1 but more advice would be welcomed.

CHEERS and THANKS to those who have posted!:D

Thanks for the help guys !

I would consider the LX3 if it was cheaper. At 799 it's not say alot cheaper than EP1. Best denki currently has a promo which retails it at 1080 (after the 200 trade in offer) with the external flash, 8gb card, I'm not sure if they're adding anything else into the deal. I wouldn't mind paying 200 more for the EP1, I believe there's more value for money. And I kinda believe the EP1 would have higher resale value if I ever want to sell it second hand.

Anyways I think I've set my heart on the EP1 but more advice would be welcomed.

CHEERS and THANKS to those who have posted!:D

Great to hear you getting a EP1.Try going to shops(CP/AP/OP/MSC/SLRR/John)for a quote too:)

What about the EPL1? Cheapest of the m43 cameras, and not that much more expensive than the LX3.

There are lots of compacts with manual control nowadays. Check out the DPreview feature search - look for compacts with Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority.