Which shops stock Pentax cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope107fm

Feb 9, 2008
Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
I do not own a dslr at the moment.

I am considering Pentax but I can't seem to find one in major shops like Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman or Cathay Photo.

Does MJ, the new distributor, have a showroom where one can try out the various models before making a decision?

Hope some Pentaxians can help... cheers

I don't think you can find Pentax in your usual electronics stores like Best, Harvey Norman and Courts. Last time the previous distributor Shriro used to have Pentax road shows at various Best Denki branches at different times, and those were the only time you'd really see them there.

But I'm very surprised to hear that Cathay doesn't have it. I've definitely seen Pentax stuff on the shelves of both Cathay Marina and Peninsular just a few months ago. Not sure if the distributor switch has anything to do with this.... not sure when Emjay officially takes over, but I'm guessing things should improve shortly....

Anyway, you'd normally have to look in the usual camera shops like TK, CP, AP, OP, MS, to find Pentax. Unfortunately there's no Pentax showroom in Singapore.

alternatively, u can join us in our monthly gatherings and u can get try out some of the models and setups, without the pressures of a salesman on you.
Dun worry abt not having a pentax cam, we welcome all who are future pentaxians as well :)

Come to my place, I can show you some nice Pentax stuff ;)

Just kidding. You can't find many Pentax stuff in department stores or big shops like Best or Courts. Better visit some camera shops like CP, OP, TK Foto or MS Color. Cathay Marina and MS Color still have quite some Pentax stuff. Alan Photo, Orient Photo in SLS should have some too. Our new agent MJ will sure bring in quite some more Pentax stuff for you to play :D

Cheers!

Thanks for all your responses. I will take a trip down to Funan and Peninsular areas to check around. I will avoid SLS given its dubious reputation - I don't mean all stores are like that. There are some like Song Brothers and Alan Photo who are OK.

Thanks for all your responses. I will take a trip down to Funan and Peninsular areas to check around. I will avoid SLS given its dubious reputation - I don't mean all stores are like that. There are some like Song Brothers and Alan Photo who are OK.

AS mentioned above, the only stores we visit are:
CAthay Photo (PP & Marina)
T K Foto (Shaw Centre)
MS Color (AMK)
Orient Photo(SLS)
Alan Photo (SLS & Funan)

Song Brothers is another one to avod.

if you go SLS,

please do not avoid orient photo

that said, always do your homework on prices

well.. bally photos electronics (funan, #05-16) does carries pentax cameras.. u can look for Ray or Meng.. i would say some of their quotes are cheaper than AP and CP.. but not all items.. see how you do your price research.. :)

well.. bally photos electronics (funan, #05-16) does carries pentax cameras.. u can look for Ray or Meng.. i would say some of their quotes are cheaper than AP and CP.. but not all items.. see how you do your price research.. :)

But be very careful of their accessories that they insist that you have to buy at exhorbitant pricing . . .;)

just stick to the usual few recommended shops, seriously.

:nono::nono:

at your own risk, this shop has been mentioned before for playing dirty in threads like this one.

here is someone else's experience.. link, you should think whether you want to take the risk..

Last edited:

at your own risk, this shop has been mentioned before for playing dirty in threads like this one.

here is someone else's experience.. link, you should think whether you want to take the risk..

true.. that 1 know..
shops like bally, they quote prices from faces.. if they dunno u, they'll rip u off, if they know you, they can't rip you off.. but even they do that to earn that extra bucks.. you yourself still have to know the market rate by surveying from other stores..

When recommendaions are asked for and replied to, please follow with what was recommended. DO NOT go to the other places as it is best to avoid.

Last edited:

Yeah, I read about those experiences some time ago. Thanks anyway for the reminder.

When recommendaions are asked for and replied to, please follow with what was recommended. DO NOT go to the other places as it is best to avoid.

Yesterday, went to CP at Peninsular but they had only the K20 in stock whereas I am more interested in K200. Then I went to Funan and saw it at Joyce (a store just outside RSH) who quoted me $990 with a 18-55 AL kit lens, batteries, charger and 2 x4g SDHC cards. I was hesitant to buy as I saw the warranty card issued by Shriro China stated Domestic Warranty.

Will the new distributor honour this warranty when they take over? Perhaps Emjay can confirm. Anyway, I will wait a while more as Emjay has just said they will be releasing the new price list soon.

BTW what is the difference between the two kit lenses 18-55 AL and 18-55 DAII?
Which is better?

Yeah, I read about those experiences some time ago. Thanks anyway for the reminder.

Yesterday, went to CP at Peninsular but they had only the K20 in stock whereas I am more interested in K200. Then I went to Funan and saw it at Joyce (a store just outside RSH) who quoted me $990 with a 18-55 AL kit lens, batteries, charger and 2 x4g SDHC cards. I was hesitant to buy as I saw the warranty card issued by Shriro China stated Domestic Warranty.

Will the new distributor honour this warranty when they take over? Perhaps Emjay can confirm. Anyway, I will wait a while more as Emjay has just said they will be releasing the new price list soon.

BTW what is the difference between the two kit lenses 18-55 AL and 18-55 DAII?
Which is better?

Looks like a grey set from China. Because International warranty is when you buy from USA and thry will send to you the IW card. Local warranty was from Shrriro and would have stated so.:D

the DAII

marginally sharper, it is designed to have better resolution or something?

The general explanation is the original DA Kit lens is optically not able to fully utilise the 14MP K20D, hence the DAII was introduced. I bought my K200D with the DAII Kit lens but can't see any real difference in IQ. I don't have a K20D to test it though...
Anyway, nowadays using DA limiteds, so the kit lens sits obediently in the dry box :)

Dear Seniors
I am also interested in the K200/D model cause of the AA batteries. But I read though some reviews and it mentioned that rechargeable batteries is not compatible. Is it true? Any K200/D user here can confirm this?

Any idea wat is the price of the K200/D now with a kit lens. As seem from the forum, the camera shop will “chop” you if you are not well verse with the pricing. Or should I wait for MJ to release the price? Seems like there is no further news from MJ for quite some time?

This is my first time looking for DSLR in Singapore. Previously owned a istDS brought from Jap and just sold to a nice guy as I wanted to upgrade my set. My friend just got “n” camera but I still prefer Pentax after using 1.

Thanks
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.