Which Shooting Mode Do You Usually Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyteocx

Dec 28, 2008
Singapore
Hello all

I have a question, and would like to hear from other shooters.

I understand that on different occasions there are like different shooting modes to use. For example for portraits and bokeh effects, one would use aperture priority, and for like smooth water, fast action and panning shots one would choose shutter priority.

However, is there like one 'default' or 'favourite' shooting mode which you guys usually use when walking around to shoot? For example, do you always stick to aperture priority mode. What about the 'P' mode in Canon cameras? Also, what shooting modes do you all use for landscape shots?

I know it's different for everyone, but would just like to know what you guys use. Thanks! :D

I only have one metering lens currently so I tend to shoot M. I find Aperture Priority much more useful than Shutter Priority even when I'm using the camera to meter for me. Wide apertures and high ISOs for freezing action and low light and small apertures to introduce motion blur.

Hi most of the time I am using P mode and whats the main difference from P monde and AV/A mode? I can't handel yet in M mode its quiet troublesome for rush shoot.

Depends on what subject you're shooting.
However as quoted by previous CSer, it's no good for rushed shots if you're not confident of manual.

But it's M-Mode for me as I'm still experimenting... :angel:

i do M 60% of the time & A 30% of the time :think:

P = camera set both A & S for you (so like auto mode or pns in simple terms)
Av = you set aperture, camera set shutter speed for you to achieve the right exposure
Tv = you set shutter speed, camera set aperture for you to achieve the right exposure
M = you set both aperture & shutter speed yourself to achieve the right exposure

hope this helps ;)

I use Tav, one step before full manual where the camera decides which ISO to use automatically depending on my shutter and aperture settings.

for night work, i go full manual.

Manual, with hardly any exception.

bright light: i use A mode, set f8-11 usually and let the camera decide shutter speed. exceptions will be smaller f-stops (3.5-5.6 for my lens) when i want to isolate the subject and leave the background out of focus.

dim light: i use S mode, set the minimum shutter speed for the subject (eg 40-120) that avoids subject motion blurr and let the camer decide the appropriate apperture

even dimmer light: i use M mode, to manually fix A and S myself

Hello all

I have a question, and would like to hear from other shooters.

I understand that on different occasions there are like different shooting modes to use. For example for portraits and bokeh effects, one would use aperture priority, and for like smooth water, fast action and panning shots one would choose shutter priority.

However, is there like one 'default' or 'favourite' shooting mode which you guys usually use when walking around to shoot? For example, do you always stick to aperture priority mode. What about the 'P' mode in Canon cameras? Also, what shooting modes do you all use for landscape shots?

I know it's different for everyone, but would just like to know what you guys use. Thanks! :D

since you posted here in "newbies corner".. i'd disagree with those who suggests using manual mode outright..

assuming you dun have the experience (like me) to handle light.. P mode and A modes are a good start.. but that doesn't mean you don't do your homework.. when you shoot in these modes.. note the shutter and aperture combinations that the camera meters for you.. and review the shot's histogram graph.. and tune the exposure compensation to get the best outcome..

as you have already mentioned earlier.. different modes serves different purpose.. for different circumstances.. for one.. i cannot imagine taking fast action sports with manual mode.. nor shutter priority for landscape..

and yes.. to answer your question of landscape photography too.. i'd go for aperture priority.. or manual.. =)

since you posted here in "newbies corner".. i'd disagree with those who suggests using manual mode outright..

Well, just answering the question, aren't we all?

Usually Manual to achieve the effects I want. Aperture is useful but try it when it's in low light, it's almost useless. Not to mention shooting at auto modes using handheld in low light. Auto/Presets can only get you this far.

Well, just answering the question, aren't we all?

yah somewhat.. but i guess my salient point will be that each circumstance (and skill level) warrants a need for a certain shooting mode..

i.e. asking what's everyone's favourite is somewhat beside the point.. if a pro photog uses manual all the time (for some reason) that doesn't mean that i should be using manual.. =)

anyway i'm kinda concerned with this thread too coz i've a friend who started and insisted to use manual mode even though he hasn't seemed to get the idea (and experience) of metering properly and understanding the relationships between aperture/shutter/iso..

that's why my disclaimer of "assuming threadstarter is a newbie"..

cheers~!

yah somewhat.. but i guess my salient point will be that each circumstance (and skill level) warrants a need for a certain shooting mode..

i.e. asking what's everyone's favourite is somewhat beside the point.. if a pro photog uses manual all the time (for some reason) that doesn't mean that i should be using manual.. =)

anyway i'm kinda concerned with this thread too coz i've a friend who started and insisted to use manual mode even though he hasn't seemed to get the idea (and experience) of metering properly and understanding the relationships between aperture/shutter/iso..

that's why my disclaimer of "assuming threadstarter is a newbie"..

cheers~!

Haha I can totally identify with your friend. I have a friend who was like that too. Shot at 1/8000s and f/5.6 and asked me why his image was pitch black. :bsmilie:

A mode 95% of the time....

assuming you dun have the experience (like me) to handle light.. P mode and A modes are a good start.. but that doesn't mean you don't do your homework.. when you shoot in these modes.. note the shutter and aperture combinations that the camera meters for you.. and review the shot's histogram graph.. and tune the exposure compensation to get the best outcome..

as you have already mentioned earlier.. different modes serves different purpose.. for different circumstances.. for one.. i cannot imagine taking fast action sports with manual mode.. nor shutter priority for landscape..

and yes.. to answer your question of landscape photography too.. i'd go for aperture priority.. or manual.. =)
when I was a newbie, I have no choice, all cameras come with manual mode only. and we don't call it manual mode at all, since there isn't any other mode available. and not all camera come with meter, so we have to remember Sunny f16, Cloudy f8 bla bla bla.......

so can you say photography does not exist before 70's??

Usually A-mode for me. Helps that the D300 allows me to set preferable ISO range.

Status
Not open for further replies.