Which setup for wedding day?

Warlord9

Jul 13, 2010
Hi folks,

Would like to ask which setup or combination for me to use for my friend's wedding day activities and wedding dinner.
1) FYI, I have D90 + D60 and 18-105mm + 50mm f1.8 and sb600. Which combination is better or u will prefer?
2) If using D90 with 50mm, the picture will be nicer + better bokeh. But if I use d60 with 18-105 will the picture quality good enough to submit to my fren?
3) I ll borrow d60 from my fren so yet to try it out yet with 50mm, wanna ask since both body and Len no
BIM, will it be troublesome to manually focus?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Since wedding is such an unusual topic for photography I'm not sure whether anybody here can help you. People hardly get married these days ... :lovegrin:
Upper right hand is the Search function. Have you tried? Have you browsed the forum checking for existing threads?

Hi folks,

Would like to ask which setup or combination for me to use for my friend's wedding day activities and wedding dinner.
1) FYI, I have D90 + D60 and 18-105mm + 50mm f1.8 and sb600. Which combination is better or u will prefer?
2) If using D90 with 50mm, the picture will be nicer + better bokeh. But if I use d60 with 18-105 will the picture quality good enough to submit to my fren?
3) I ll borrow d60 from my fren so yet to try it out yet with 50mm, wanna ask since both body and Len no
BIM, will it be troublesome to manually focus?

Thanks a lot in advance.
get a compact and let the professional do their jobs? its more likely we will get into their way often than not. unless u have enough field experience to not get into their frame:dunno:

USE BOTH~! carry two cams... one with the prime lens, one with the zoom lens... steady aledy... no need to worry... just shoot..

Are you the main photographer? If not, just bring a pns and have fun during the wedding?

To TS :

Try to do a search in the search engine and you will find a list of good setup.

To me, with the existing gears, i will . . .
1. D90 + 18-105mm + (need to get another flash)
2. D60 + 50mm + SB600

Other things that you may need :
3. Getting additional flash for your #1 setup (stated above)
4. Addtional Batteries / Memory Cards / Cleaning Kit / etc
5. A wide angle lens

If you are not familiar with Manual Mode, i will suggest you leave it out and just concentrate on your Shuttle Speed and Aperture or even Auto Mode. (don't be ashame to use auto mode, i don't see anything wrong with it)

if require photography service . . . just PM me . . . :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I ll be main photographer plus one assistant with another d60 with 18-55. So total 1d90 and 2 d60. Yes I intend to use both camera but not sure combination and convenient as I mentioned above.
My fren wanna save money so I dun mind help him for free. I ll just do my best to get the important photos. So some folks can answer my questions. ;)

my recommendation as above, just enjoy the shoots . . . and shoot more . . . :D

All the best.

I ll be main photographer plus one assistant with another d60 with 18-55. So total 1d90 and 2 d60. Yes I intend to use both camera but not sure combination and convenient as I mentioned above.
My fren wanna save money so I dun mind help him for free. I ll just do my best to get the important photos. So some folks can answer my questions. ;)
nothing wrong with saving money, just make sure he save at the right place and will not regrets after that.

FYI, most of the things use on wedding day will be soon throw away and forgotten. only the photos will last many years.

its better not to keep changing the lens here and there as u wun haf time to change anyway so just bring both there and as wad others mention about the lens to which body. take with both camera. after all its not all about the camera that affecting the outcome.. its also the skill of the person who is taking that comes with experience.

Since its DSLR, take as much as u can. Im sure out of so many photos. There is sure bound to have quite a no. of good shot one. ^^

Have you shot a wedding before? If not, for weddings, there are no retakes so you should really ask your friend if saving money is worth it. You should really find out what your friend is expecting and if you can deliver.

:thumbsup:
lot of photographers doing actual wedding dinner shoot, i will say no point spending thousands n thousands on it. when i ask my colleagues how often they review their photos after so many years of marriage, they answer, NO, NEVER, SELDOM, DON'T KNOW WHERE IS THE ALBUM NOW :sweat:

they said this to me -> as long as the photographer give them the photos, no over expose no under expose thing, not all photos out of focus, they don't really care much. i believe it is true. so far i can't find a couple that will review those photo at least once a year :rolleyes:

with the camera technology now, i will say ALMOST everyone can do it. lot of event/wedding photographer using kit lens to do their work, why not? so long as u give them nice photos.

Last edited:
lot of photographers doing actual wedding dinner shoot, i will say no point spending thousands n thousands on it. when i ask my colleagues how often they review their photos after so many years of marriage, they answer, NO, NEVER, SELDOM, DON'T KNOW WHERE IS THE ALBUM NOW :sweat:

they said this to me -> as long as the photographer give them the photos, no over expose no under expose thing, not all photos out of focus, they don't really care much. i believe it is true. so far i can't find a couple that will review those photo at least once a year :rolleyes:

with the camera technology now, i will say ALMOST everyone can do it. lot of event/wedding photographer using kit lens to do their work, why not? so long as u give them nice photos.

if i am not mistaken... more will prefer their pre wedding shots (which will be printed to coffee table book) to be nicer cos they will be showing the book to those who came for the wedding... so actual day they dun really care that much since they will be too tired to think about looking good on that day haha.

if i am not mistaken... more will prefer their pre wedding shots (which will be printed to coffee table book) to be nicer cos they will be showing the book to those who came for the wedding... so actual day they dun really care that much since they will be too tired to think about looking good on that day haha.

yes, definately. what important is the pre wedding shots. not many people concern about actual wedding dinner shots :D
my previous post is mean wedding dinner shots, not the pre wedding :D

Last edited:
Hmm have you done weddings before as the main photographer? If you have limited experience i recommend you use just your D90 + 18 105 + sb600 and keep your D60 aside as a back up. Just use 1 setup and concentrate on getting the shots instead. Actually getting the shot is more impt than getting the best looking shot. Shoot in AV mode if your not familar with Manual. The nikon AV mode is pretty smart.

Besides that read up and practice bouncing your flash. Hope this helps.

wedding day album is actually a family heirloom for the next generation, but they have to make sure their marriage last in the first place. :)

If you die die have to shoot this wedding, I recommend:

Use both bodies.

D60(on P mode, ISO on 400 or 800) +18-105 +SB600 flash bounced to the ceiling.

D90 with 50/1.8 with Auto-ISO set to minimum shutter speed 1/60 and max ISO 1600 (or 3200 depending on how dark the place is). Use Aperture mode on this, shoot from wide open to F2.4 depending on what DoF you need, and paying attention to on shutter speed. Try to not let shutter speed drop below 1/30.

Use you D60 for most shots including table to table shots. And use D90 for low-light ambient candid shots.

Good luck. And be sure to manage the expectations of the couple, letting them know that the resulting shots might be far from professional standard. Better not to lose any friendship over this.

Last edited:

Ur colleagues must be male!! :bsmilie:

Wedding should be taken seriously, photos be it in hardcopy or softcopy will last for a long time.

If all these arent important, then y in the first place want to get married??? Quue for HDB ah?

My friends too are getting married. And like all couples, they say want to save money and get friends like us to shoot. But think, if you are a wedding phootgapher urself, how wld u feel to have your ricebowl broken. Also, if you are asking such qtn, i wld say that you have no experience at all for wedding?

I agree with some comments in here...there are no retakes in weddings and u need to be expereince enuf to capture that moment. Will you have the confidence??? Otherwise, why not search for some photographer services in here and recommend?

If the photos turn out nice, you are the good guy, but if not? :think:

Ur colleagues must be male!! :bsmilie:

Wedding should be taken seriously, photos be it in hardcopy or softcopy will last for a long time.

If all these arent important, then y in the first place want to get married??? Quue for HDB ah?

My friends too are getting married. And like all couples, they say want to save money and get friends like us to shoot. But think, if you are a wedding phootgapher urself, how wld u feel to have your ricebowl broken. Also, if you are asking such qtn, i wld say that you have no experience at all for wedding?

I agree with some comments in here...there are no retakes in weddings and u need to be expereince enuf to capture that moment. Will you have the confidence??? Otherwise, why not search for some photographer services in here and recommend?

If the photos turn out nice, you are the good guy, but if not? :think:

What is important to note is that friendships can be broken this way. Try to help, shoot for free, go through all the hard work and hassle, the couple give you these comments like, "How come the pictures come out like that ar? Why so poorly taken? Why you never include this person in the pic? Aiyoh, shoot me until look so ugly?". You might just lose that friendship.

Unless you are really confident, or/and are managing expectations very well, I would recommend not shooting friends' weddings.

Thanks for all the feedback. Anyway I have experience twice as secondary cameraman and my also saw my quality of my photos and that's why he request me to help him.
If I m using d60 with 18-105+ sb600, is the picture quality good enough or acceptable? Escpecially during wedding dinner which might be low light condition.
Another fren of mine will be using d60+18-55+55-200+sb600.
Have not try d60 with 50mm which have to manual focus. Is it convenient or easy to use? Thanks !! :)