Which SD do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker

Mar 18, 2003
SG
Visit site
Hi guys and gals,

Just a little "check" with fellow Pentaxians on the type of SD card you are using with your camera. Which brand and model do you use. Especially K10D users, are those faster cards really serve you well?

Because planning to get one more card to add on my current collection after realizing that switching to RAW+ shooting really takes up lots of space.

Currently using:
1. Transcend X150 2GB - pretty fast card. Sadly, the price went up before i can get another few pieces.

2. Toshiba Ultra High-Speed 20MB/sec 2GB - another speedy card but sadly only available in 2GB.

3. Lexar X60 Platinum II 4GB - A tad slower card if shoot few shots within seconds. Got this due to bargain and size.

Hope to hear some review of the brand and model you are using before i make another purchase. BTW, anyone use any 8/16GB on your K10D/K100D? Hope to hear some comments soon. Cheers!

1. Sandisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC Class 4
2. Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SDHC Class 4
3. Kingston 4GB SDHC Class 4
4. Toshiba 2GB SDHC Class 4

On my K10D, so far I don't really notice much difference as I don't really go and time the clearing of the camera buffer when on continuous burst. On highest settings on JPEG its no problem to do unlimited shots, I tried about 50 shots on 3fps and it took 1 sec to clear. On RAW+Jpeg, the most I got about 6 shots in continuous burst before the cam stops the shooting and start clearing the buffer.

I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 2GB and Kingston 4GB SDHC Class 4, and don't notice any difference too.

Kingston 4GB SDHC Class 4
Lexar 2GB SD

Class 4 for shooting RAW in Burst Mode.

bought a Kingston 4GB Class 6 yesterday for $28.90, the speed is ok.. 8 raw burst shots take less than 10s i think.:bsmilie:Value for money^^

I am looking at the trasncend 16GB class 6 at $155. Any comments with this SD?

Thanks guys for those valuable inputs.
Deciding between 2 X 4GB or 1 X 8GB. Brand wise still deciding if the speed is worth the money since i do need to shoot fast at times and i shoot RAW nowadays.

scorpioh, where do you spot that transcend 16GB? Must say the price is tempting for such a high capacity but then again, putting everything in one basket is my main worry. Guess i worry too much ya?

Deciding between 2 X 4GB or 1 X 8GB. Brand wise still deciding if the speed is worth the money since i do need to shoot fast at times and i shoot RAW nowadays.

scorpioh, where do you spot that transcend 16GB? Must say the price is tempting for such a high capacity but then again, putting everything in one basket is my main worry. Guess i worry too much ya?
I saw in hardwarezone.
yeah, tats my worry. but can safe trouble of changing the card.
mayb get 2x8GB safer.

I saw in hardwarezone.
yeah, tats my worry. but can safe trouble of changing the card.
mayb get 2x8GB safer.

you need to check if those above 8Gb are really that. they could be 2 GB card but with compression software built in, which slows it down.

I use dual 2GB Kingston SDs, 50x speed. I think speed doesn't matter, at least not too me, as long as its fast enough, no need the best. The best usually cost alot more in my opinion. :)

slacker, transcend u get from memory world. http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/priceguide/newsview.php?id=2515

For your case, I suggest 2 cards better than 1, just in case;) It's faster than changing flim like those weddings in SLR days:bsmilie: Personally find transcend better than kingston, but when I went there memory world wasn't open:(

slacker, transcend u get from memory world. http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/priceguide/newsview.php?id=2515

For your case, I suggest 2 cards better than 1, just in case;) It's faster than changing flim like those weddings in SLR days:bsmilie: Personally find transcend better than kingston, but when I went there memory world wasn't open:(

Thanks guys! Have purchased 2 SDHC yesterday after i checkout this thread before i leave my last comment and go out. Decided against buying a huge card and thought changing an SD card is much easier than changing film back in those days. ;p

Ended up buying 1 X Ultra II 4GB and 1X Extreme III 4GB for my RAW shooting. Tested all good and very impressed with Extreme III writing speed. Sadly my budget only allow to get 1 at this moment. Good enough to use at times when i might need to shoot fast i guess.

For Transcend, i love my X150 2GB but sadly i cannot get another at the same price i have got before so decided to go with Sandisk since i do not own one yet and have been hearing much about them.

Thanks guys! Have purchased 2 SDHC yesterday after i checkout this thread before i leave my last comment and go out. Decided against buying a huge card and thought changing an SD card is much easier than changing film back in those days. ;p

Ended up buying 1 X Ultra II 4GB and 1X Extreme III 4GB for my RAW shooting. Tested all good and very impressed with Extreme III writing speed. Sadly my budget only allow to get 1 at this moment. Good enough to use at times when i might need to shoot fast i guess.

For Transcend, i love my X150 2GB but sadly i cannot get another at the same price i have got before so decided to go with Sandisk since i do not own one yet and have been hearing much about them.
May I know how much u paid for the extreme III 4GB? any idea the price for 8GB? Thanks.

2 x Transcend 4GB SD 150x... so far so good.. upto my performance level.. and enough for me to go short trip travel with Portable Harddisk as Backup...

May I know how much u paid for the extreme III 4GB? any idea the price for 8GB? Thanks.

Hi Scorpioh, i got it at $79 at SLS but i think there is a shop at Suntec IT corner where it is like a small SLS is selling it cheaper at less than $70. Cannot recall which shop though so you need to do some searching. I do not ask about 8GB pricing since i decided against a "all-in-one-basket" storage before i go get my SD.

2 x Transcend 4GB SD 150x... so far so good.. upto my performance level.. and enough for me to go short trip travel with Portable Harddisk as Backup...

Good that you got 2 of it. Simply love the speed of this card but the increased cost of it is not really friendly to my pocket. :sweat:

Hi Scorpioh, i got it at $79 at SLS but i think there is a shop at Suntec IT corner where it is like a small SLS is selling it cheaper at less than $70. Cannot recall which shop though so you need to do some searching. I do not ask about 8GB pricing since i decided against a "all-in-one-basket" storage before i go get my SD.
tats quite exp. Can get an equivalent transcend 8GB for slightly less. Hmm, the price diff makes me wonder is the sandisk overly hyped?

Good that you got 2 of it. Simply love the speed of this card but the increased cost of it is not really friendly to my pocket. :sweat:

can't recall what price i bought it.. but the price should be going down instead of up.. did you tried the shop at Sim Lim.. one with many indian on the 5th floor turn left on the escalator?? their cards are cheapest so far that i can find...

I have 2x Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 4gb, 2x Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 4gb. By my simple test, the Extreme III really rocks, especially on K20D w/ such big RAW date files. Currently the prices for SD cards are so cheap, I'd suggest to get the better ones if you don't mind the 10 to 20 bucks difference :)

Still remember the old days when I spent $172 for a 256mb Sandisk Ultra SD ;(

I have Ultra II 4GB SDHC bought from Germany last year before SDHC became available here.
Paid about S$80+ for it... :(
On the other hand though, it came with a SDHC card reader which was useful, since I didn't have any.
Bought a Toshiba 8GB Class 4 during the recent IT Show for about $50.
Getting lazy to transfer my photos out of my SD cards... :(
Anyway, hopefully my this recent purchase will win me tix to the F1... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.