Which SD Card To Get For Pana FZ10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donchua

Nov 30, 2004
Tampines
1) Brand new high speed 512MB Sd card For $70 to $80.
2) Used Billionton 512MB SD for $60 (left 4yrs plus warranty by www.flashcard-bestbuy.com)
3) Used Corsair 1GB for $110 (limited Lifetime by Cybermind)
4) Used Lexar (green/yellow label) 512MB SD Crard (With Best denki photocopy receipt)

Which of the above card should I get for my Pana FZ10?

Will I still get the 5 years warranty from Convergent with
the photocopy receipt for Lexar?

Any advice?
Thanks.

Last year, I bought mine, KingMax high speed 60X 512mb SD at $84 at Laser Distribution in SLS. Thought it should be cheaper by now!

Get the 60X or higher speed one. It improve the camera performance in term of writing to card.

So far the card didn't give me any problem! :bsmilie:

I also have a kingston 512mb normal speed SD. It still performed well after two years. However, writing in burst mode does slow up a little bit. It still works fine with FZ20 though.

donchua said:
1) Brand new high speed 512MB Sd card For $70 to $80.
2) Used Billionton 512MB SD for $60 (left 4yrs plus warranty by www.flashcard-bestbuy.com)
3) Used Corsair 1GB for $110 (limited Lifetime by Cybermind)
4) Used Lexar (green/yellow label) 512MB SD Crard (With Best denki photocopy receipt)

Which of the above card should I get for my Pana FZ10?

Will I still get the 5 years warranty from Convergent with
the photocopy receipt for Lexar?

Any advice?
Thanks.

I would go for the 1GB Corsair. It's not so much a matter of cheaper but SD Cards don't have much difference. It's mostly the brand. Even if you get the high speed SD Card, the difference is so small that you will probably not notice the difference unless you are taking TIFF & RAW format. Apart from that, the FZ10 & FZ20.....how much faster can you get? :think:

IMO

Scann69 said:
I would go for the 1GB Corsair. It's not so much a matter of cheaper but SD Cards don't have much difference. It's mostly the brand. Even if you get the high speed SD Card, the difference is so small that you will probably not notice the difference unless you are taking TIFF & RAW format. Apart from that, the FZ10 & FZ20.....how much faster can you get? :think:

IMO

'High Speed'? = what speed? I just got my toshiba SD card but before I got it I call several place which claims that they sell 'high speed' SD cards, end up only 24x (ard 4mb/s) or max 45 x. Now the highest speed is 60x (ard 10mb/s transfer)

I've also read up some info on SD cards, Panasonic is the best in the world but is also the most ex (can go at least 3 to 4 times more ex than other brand) but you can go for Toshiba if you want coz brands like Kingston and lexar use their architecture to make their card.

I'm using my 512 with my Fz 10 now, so far so good. if you want u can PM me i'll give you the contact from the guy I buy the SD card with (5 yrs warrranty)

Must be careful.

psx2sg said:
'High Speed'? = what speed? I just got my toshiba SD card but before I got it I call several place which claims that they sell 'high speed' SD cards, end up only 24x (ard 4mb/s) or max 45 x. Now the highest speed is 60x (ard 10mb/s transfer)

I've also read up some info on SD cards, Panasonic is the best in the world but is also the most ex (can go at least 3 to 4 times more ex than other brand) but you can go for Toshiba if you want coz brands like Kingston and lexar use their architecture to make their card.

I'm using my 512 with my Fz 10 now, so far so good. if you want u can PM me i'll give you the contact from the guy I buy the SD card with (5 yrs warrranty)

Must be careful.

Is the Toshiba card you bought white color & blue printing?
I was quoted $80 for the white 512MB Toshiba 10MB/S but think
only 1 year warranty.
I got a Kingston 256MB normal SD on hand which I taken out from
my MP3 player.
So still can tahan for a while.

psx2sg said:

Must be careful.

I have 3 brands of SD Card with me now. Panasonic, Lexar & NCP. I've tested all 3 cards and don't see any difference but they all give me good warranty. I've tested a 60x in the shop before and notice a slight increase in speed but for the money, it was just not worth it. IMO

There's definately a difference in the speed when it comes to burst mode. Compared my Panasonic Normal speed and my Kingmax high speed. World of a difference.

When it comes to brand, I don't see much of a difference. Only time can tell whether the "branded" one can last longer than the "non-branded" one. In the meantime, the better & cheaper ones work for me. ;)

yah, white in color but can't remember the color of word thou(made in Japan) ... i brought at 78 nett

psx2sg said:
yah, white in color but can't remember the color of word thou(made in Japan) ... i brought at 78 nett

Bro, can PM me the guy contact?
Cheapest I get is around $80 and 1 year warranty only.

I got my Lexar 512 around 80? of 75... i cant rem. At SLS AP. Try ur luck there ;)

Honestly anyone will do. No need to be too selective. The difference is only in the price. As for performance I don't think your cam will benefit from the higher speed.

natnivek said:
There's definately a difference in the speed when it comes to burst mode. Compared my Panasonic Normal speed and my Kingmax high speed. World of a difference.

When it comes to brand, I don't see much of a difference. Only time can tell whether the "branded" one can last longer than the "non-branded" one. In the meantime, the better & cheaper ones work for me. ;)

Well, the question is: how many times in your life are you going to shoot burst mode?

In terms of brand, IMHO, it does not really matter.

Scann69 said:

IMO

Think about it on this scenario: You are happily using your 1 GB SD card to shoot, inside has hundreds of your production, suddenly, for some reason, the card does not work anymore, how?

I will advice to get not-so-low and yet not-so-high capacity, get additional piece, or pieces, so that you will still have enough to shoot, at the same time, you are not putting all the eggs in 1 basket.

I will agree on buying a fast and branded SD card. Like Panasonic ones which are known to be the best.

Simply because, the time waiting for buffer to clear and picture written into the media is being cutted more than half then if i were to use a normal one(including sandisk normal speed)
But, do pay 2x for Panasonic Normal ones(60x already for their 1GB) and 3-4x for their 133x speed Panasonic Pro.

Just went SLS to buy SD last week. Shop ard and found the following worthy consideration.
Lexar 1GB $125
Kingston $137
MAGU $139

In the end I brought Magu which is suppose to be a high speed card and it comes with life time warrenty. However, I do not see alot of speed difference except downloading to com. Think its best to buy those branded ones if price are the same. Get SanDisk 1GB, I used to have 1 and it felt fast enough.

Jim and Liang do have their point here, i think it's not advisible to get a high memory ones, try getting 2 instead of one incase the other one get faulty. Speed do helps thou, example : I have ask the price for a 45x and a 60x SD card, 45x 512 cost 88 and 60x cost 90. if you were me, which one would you probably consider?

I tried burst mode with my cam with 60x, no waiting time needed.

Get at least 512mb 60X (10mb/s). Two 512mb SD is good, but it's cheaper to buy 1gb SD than two 512mb SDs.

Note: Panasonic has annouced 2gb (20mb/s SD) liao. It's very very ex though! Not sure FZ10/20 supports it. Keith, firmware?

flowerpot99 said:
Just went SLS to buy SD last week. Shop ard and found the following worthy consideration.
Lexar 1GB $125
Kingston $137
MAGU $139

In the end I brought Magu which is suppose to be a high speed card and it comes with life time warrenty. However, I do not see alot of speed difference except downloading to com. Think its best to buy those branded ones if price are the same. Get SanDisk 1GB, I used to have 1 and it felt fast enough.

Is the normal lexar 1GB good enough for FZ5?
What is the speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.