Which school would you choose for your daughter....

Which school would you choose for your child?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltake

Oct 10, 2006
Up North......
Facts as per below:

In Dec 2007, I went to Raffles Girls Primary School for balloting for my gal admission to Primary 1, she was not successful and we put her in Bukit Timah Primary School. She was devasted after the ballot when she ask me "Papa, is the ballot over???? I did not get a place to study in RGPS??". I replied her "Yeah, its over. We were not lucky. Nvrm dear, we will find another school for you." I smiled, but she burst into tears. I was feeling so sorry for her at that time to see the kind of disappointment in her eyes.

I told her at that time "Dear, its ok. You can still make it to RGPS if you put in your best effort in P1". One year later, she did extremely well and now she has been offered a place in RGPS. This was after we transfer her to De LaSalle primary school in Choa Chu Kang as I will be shifting around the area, which is about 20 minutes walk from my new location.

Issues that me and my wife have been discussing are:
- Distance from RGPS to our house is a distance, she will be tired. Her cousin's mother will actually be driving her own gal to school so we tot we can tong pang my gal and pay her some $$ for her petrol. This will only be for 1 yr, thereafter, will be different sessions.

- All gal school - gals emotional - become too close friends?

- If go RGPS now, and later cannot go RGS. She will be more disappointed ......

- Stress in RGPS, we would expect the teachers/school expectation to be high.

My wife prefer my gal to go to De LaSalle, but I prefer her to to go RGPS. My reasons:
- she has performed well to deserve her wish of going to RGPS.
- want to keep this as a motivational factor to remind her that if she put in effort, she will be rewarded.
- I think the environment in RGPS will be better, at least eh ah lians there speak English.
- Moulding of the initial 6 yrs in Primary school is impt for me as they are influenced greatly by their surrounding peers/environment.
- If she cannot make it, then can decide to transfer her back to De LaSalle.
- Best christmas wish for her, because I still told her that RGPS has not replied. She has already ask me a few time. When I say no, she would reply "Aiyah, nvrm lah... De LaSalle also can lah." - I can already sense her fear of another disappointment.

To all the parents here, please give me your honest opinion. I just want to give the best to my child....... as any parents would do. Cheers and early Merry Christmas to you all!!

Sometimes getting into the best doesnt mean confirm can turn into the best.

Choose within your means?

Humans have to learn to deal with disappointments, better early than learn that late in life, the impact might be greater.

Sometimes getting into the best doesnt mean confirm can turn into the best.

Choose within your means?

Humans have to learn to deal with disappointments, better early than learn that late in life, the impact might be greater.

I know, thats why I want to choose the best option........ not the best school. Afterall, RGPS is not affiliated to RGS......in fact, its not affiliated to any schools.

RGS?RJC?HWJC?
At the end of the day,these are not what that is going to satisfy her.
Be content.
As a parent,I would chose da laselle.
For someone who knows what they want to acheive,whatever it takes,you can be sure of the effort they will be willing to invest.
Furthermore,starting at da laselle isn't a bad choice.Let her chose her path when she's older.By then,she'll know what she wants

Last edited:
How come ur daughter die die want to get into rgps? Influence by?

i find your "at least ah lians in rgps speak english" statement funny. :bsmilie:

question,

why does your daughter want to go to rgps?

I did ask her the other day after reminding her that its going to be tough at RGPS with the homework and getting up early. She replied:
- her cousin is there.
- she likes the environment
- she prefer all gal school, the boys in her previous school always disturb her
- she loves the playground at RGPS:bigeyes:

I think at this stage, she will not be able to gauge whats best for her. Or at least her reasons is not concrete......

How come ur daughter die die want to get into rgps? Influence by?

i find your "at least ah lians in rgps speak english" statement funny. :bsmilie:

What I meant is that even in good school, there are still bad influence around, but at least the environment is more controlled. Probability of picking up bad influence is lesser than in a neighbourhood school. I came from an all boys school and went to a neighbourbood school, I know and can see the difference.

I am just referring to the probability, I am not saying neighbourhood schools are bad. I came from there, and I think I am still good. hehhehe.........

I did ask her the other day after reminding her that its going to be tough at RGPS with the homework and getting up early. She replied:
- her cousin is there.

I think at this stage, she will not be able to gauge whats best for her. Or at least her reasons is not concrete......

Her reasons seem whimsical, but its common for kids. That's why as her parent, u should be able to decide the more logical and suitable choice.

before submitting the school of choice, did you promise to get her to the best school and rgps would be the one? If you did, have yourself to blame as all other schools become a junk to her by now.

reverse the situation and tell her the school she is in is a very good school.

Also, spare the child the agony of travelling long distances to get to school. it is more frustrating when she forgot something and the maid or someone has to deliver that item.

As part of family planning, it is always wise to choose a home that is near to some good primary schools. Well unless you are filty rich, then living in sentosa wont really make a diff as your driver can send her there. besides, if you donate enough, "some" schools will open their gates for special entry grants.

i have a very rich friend who was stressed when he first arrived singapore with his daughter. he wanted to send her to a convent school but none would accept her. as it was already january and the first day of class had begun, i told him to worry not and send her to any school that accepts her. i hinted to him that he will find a way to get her transfered. true enough, his kid went to a convent after a few months. dont ask me how, but in this world nothing is impossible. oh and btw he lives in sentosa with an inventory of a few cars worth over 10mil.

- her cousin is there.

Will be the opposite once she hits 13:)

Hi, personally I think given that either way she'll have to go to a different school next year, De LaSalle or RGPS are both good options. Yes, she ought to be rewarded for her hard work and as long as she is confident she can cope with the workload (not forgetting the pressure which is very real), I'd say why not RGPS.

However travelling is a real issue. I'm sure RGPS is already or maybe soon be operating like a full-day school with all the enrichment and Core-curricular activities. Even after the one year of tong pang, how about after that? She may have to wake up earlier, spending more time to and fro the school. She could be tired even by the time she reaches school/home ...

Just my thoughts as a teacher ... you have make a tough choice but it's a 'good' problem nonetheless ...

before submitting the school of choice, did you promise to get her to the best school and rgps would be the one? If you did, have yourself to blame as all other schools become a junk to her by now.

reverse the situation and tell her the school she is in is a very good school.

Also, spare the child the agony of travelling long distances to get to school. it is more frustrating when she forgot something and the maid or someone has to deliver that item.

As part of family planning, it is always wise to choose a home that is near to some good primary schools. Well unless you are filty rich, then living in sentosa wont really make a diff as your driver can send her there. besides, if you donate enough, "some" schools will open their gates for special entry grants.

i have a very rich friend who was stressed when he first arrived singapore with his daughter. he wanted to send her to a convent school but none would accept her. as it was already january and the first day of class had begun, i told him to worry not and send her to any school that accepts her. i hinted to him that he will find a way to get her transfered. true enough, his kid went to a convent after a few months. dont ask me how, but in this world nothing is impossible. oh and btw he lives in sentosa with an inventory of a few cars worth over 10mil.

The only promise I said to her was that if she put in her best effort in her new school in Primary 1, she can still gets to Raffles if she does well. And she did extremely well!! I have never mention that this is the best school or whatnot, I am oppose to the ranking of school in the first place. I just want the best environment for my gal to be educated in....... socially, acadamically and morally..........

Her reasons seem whimsical, but its common for kids. That's why as her parent, u should be able to decide the more logical and suitable choice.

Hahah...... yeah, thats why I post this here to parents. I also headache.... only got a few days to decide, and christmas is round the corner...... :D

Hi, personally I think given that either way she'll have to go to a different school next year, De LaSalle or RGPS are both good options. Yes, she ought to be rewarded for her hard work and as long as she is confident she can cope with the workload (not forgetting the pressure which is very real), I'd say why not RGPS.

However travelling is a real issue. I'm sure RGPS is already or maybe soon be operating like a full-day school with all the enrichment and Core-curricular activities. Even after the one year of tong pang, how about after that? She may have to wake up earlier, spending more time to and fro the school. She could be tired even by the time she reaches school/home ...

Just my thoughts as a teacher ... you have make a tough choice but it's a 'good' problem nonetheless ...

I still remember the time when I had to be downstairs at 6.15am bec I was the first to board the bus, and this was like 20+ years already!! Waking early should not be an issue, even though as parents get concerned about them spending too mcuh time travelling. To me, this is gettign more of a habit and use to it. Maybe can inculcate her to plan her time wisely...... :bsmilie:

The one session also appeals to me, as I see this as a more well rounded program and activities to mould a person to perform well academically and in sports.

Which school you teaching Adam? Thanks for you comments......... cheers!

The only promise I said to her was that if she put in her best effort in her new school in Primary 1, she can still gets to Raffles if she does well. And she did extremely well!! I have never mention that this is the best school or whatnot, I am oppose to the ranking of school in the first place. I just want the best environment for my gal to be educated in....... socially, acadamically and morally..........

It is not wrong to have a target i guess, but your daughter is probably sold to the name "Raffles." i have two kids and i chose the first kid to the best choice of school in the neighbourhood (supposedly the top ten primary school in spore, but i dont really mind if it wasnt). she did not get in, but i went for ballotting. got it. she is doing pretty well for past few years. for my second child, he got in automatically as his sibling is in the school. but he suffers as he does not like to study. My son is smarter than my daughter, but he hates to read.

so, it is true that not any child can go to a top school. he/she may end up struggling and eventually become one of the worse graded student for every year. that will have a hard hit on the child up bringing as he cant excell no matter how hard he tries.

Best is go with the natural choice and if the school is really not that bad, just carry on that educate the kid to aim to go to the secondary school of her choice in the future.

This is just my take, i am sure you are the best judge of the situation. And, again, long distance travelling for school esp for AM session is not just a waste of time (esp travelling by school bus or sbs bus), but also a waste of resource and energy for the kid. Spare her the agony if you may.

Last edited:
I just want the best environment for my gal to be educated in....... socially, acadamically and morally..........

a prestigious sch might not mean better conditions in all your mentioned areas...there are many factors involved, it all boils down what you really want for your kid. Weigh the advantages/disadvantages, benefits/consequences, etc.

But Adam has made a good point, maybe you should view everyone's comments and suggestions, discuss with your wife again and derive a solution. All the best! :thumbsup:

a prestigious sch might not mean better conditions in all your mentioned areas...there are many factors involved, it all boils down what you really want for your kid. Weigh the advantages/disadvantages, benefits/consequences, etc.

But Adam has made a good point, maybe you should view everyone's comments and suggestions, discuss with your wife again and derive a solution. All the best! :thumbsup:

Few weeks ago, my gal had a quarrel with my wife........ jnr walked off grumbling and she said "Farker!". Wow!!!! I spilled my coffee and looked at her...... of course, she got the worst punishment (ytd) from my wife. She later admitted hearing her friends saying that, but she dunno what it means.... she imitated them. And she is only in P1!! This is what I dun want her to be influence bec at this age, its the most vulnerable time in her life.

Environment to me at this time is important....... very impt.

Few weeks ago, my gal had a quarrel with my wife........ jnr walked off grumbling and she said "Farker!". Wow!!!! I spilled my coffee and looked at her...... of course, she got the worst punishment (ytd) from my wife. She later admitted hearing her friends saying that, but she dunno what it means.... she imitated them. And she is only in P1!! This is what I dun want her to be influence bec at this age, its the most vulnerable time in her life.

wow, she really can learn fast. :bigeyes:

Wow...i used the cb word when i was in primary 3 if i can remember...but i turn out fine. Haha...i hope.

Well...even if its sanitized environment in pri sch, you have another hurdle of sec sch and then jc/poly later on. You can't protect her forever, but guide her.

Like guys can be angels, when they go ns...everybody is there...cannot siam one. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.