Which Resolutions do you use??

Which is your preferred resolutions?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Jerome

I was just about to post my question when I saw zapp's comments. My ques is: Can't images shot in jpg compression mode be controlled in terms of exposure, color, sharpening etc as zapp mentioned?

So far, I've shot on RAW also but I'm going on a holiday soon and I think RAW is simple inappropriate. As Ckiang mentions it's an overkill. But I've not yet observed the differences in RAW and jpeg (say highest resolution and minimal compression) when editing in say Photoshop.

I'm speaking in the context of using a Canon G2 for abt 2 months. I usually shoot using the default settings - highest resolution, fine compression (best is superfine). I find the ease of handling jpg images over raw very helpful.

There are times however, that I cursed myself for not going raw. When I took a nice landscape with the sky in a nice blue gradient, I realised I could see compression artifacts when I was touching up the image. I had to select the sky and do a blur to even it out. Another thing is that non-raw modes will apply some form of contrast / sharpening adjustment. For certain shots, I rather do it myself rather than let the camera guess for me. More tiresome to undo when the camera guesses wrongly. I guess in most cases, some compression is ok, but when going for the more subtle changes in tone, raw may be better.

I always shoot in highest resolution. Cos my framing is still crappy and I do a lot of cropping afterwards. After cropping, sometimes only about 1 or 2 megapixels are left of my 4 megapixel image ;p

i do have some same sentiments with Eric, on the compression I could see compression artifacts even on superfine on largest res on the G2. I remember some member has a software that edits RAW mode better than the given software, could anyone care to share it again and let me know where i could buy it? thks!

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain
i do have some same sentiments with Eric, on the compression I could see compression artifacts even on superfine on largest res on the G2. I remember some member has a software that edits RAW mode better than the given software, could anyone care to share it again and let me know where i could buy it? thks!

Many canon users recommend BreezeBrowser for adjusting levels, etc.

Hmm... if you bought a X Mpixel camera, wouldn't you be using the maximum pixel count MOST of the time ?

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain
I use YarcPlus to convert Canon RAW, altough its user interface is not as good as BreezeBrowser and its color rendition is not as great as Bibble, but it has Artifact filter (a luminance noise reduction). It work great if being combined with another chrominance noise reduction.

Here is the comparison result of YarcPlus vs BreezeBrowser, conversion of the same RAW file taken using Canon G1.

This is the full frame image (resized for web):
FullFrame.jpg

This is the effect of filter (cropped from 100% resolution):
Blur.jpg

Details.jpg

In conclusion,
For 4R printing, 1600x1200 is more than sufficient.
Unless we need absolute best quality, then we set our resolution to the max (say 2272x1704).

And, how abt compression, how do we know when to use superfine, fine and normal?

Hi there, I have a 5mp camera and just wanna ask which resolution should I use for better quality prints for 4R & 8R?

2592 x 1944 with Fine mode
1600 x 1200 with Superfine mode

Both approx take up the same amount of space. My idea is to save more space with my 256 CF lah ... Can any kind soul enlighten me?

Agree with Konei. Why would you buy 3mp camera and keep using 2mp resolution? Might as well buy a 2mp camera.

Originally posted by Spikey
Hi there, I have a 5mp camera and just wanna ask which resolution should I use for better quality prints for 4R & 8R?

2592 x 1944 with Fine mode
1600 x 1200 with Superfine mode

Both approx take up the same amount of space. My idea is to save more space with my 256 CF lah ... Can any kind soul enlighten me?

Personally I'd pick 2592x1944 (Fine) over 1600x1200 (Superfine) as long as it is not low/normal mode. The extra resolution (though slightly compromised compression) will be give more flexibility (cropping) and is likely to look as good (if not better) than 1600x1200 (superfine) in prints.

I'm using 2048x1536.. why no such option in the poll?? :(

Yep, I've done some tests and realised that 2592x1944 (Fine) & 2592x1944 (SuperFine) not really much difference to the naked eye so I'm quite happy and been snapping with the Fine mode ;) Anybody went for the Canon free course with Digital Media Hub before? Is it really useful?

Originally posted by Eric
Many canon users recommend BreezeBrowser for adjusting levels, etc.

How does it compare to the Canon FileViewer Utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.