Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Jan 18, 2002
SGP
Visit site
Hi all,

Just curious to know which is the most common/popular resolution used on your DC

Originally posted by Paladin
Hi all,

Just curious to know which is the most common/popular resolution used on your DC

Actually, "RAW" is not a resolution. There's also the 2048 x 1536 for 4:3 3 mp cameras, 1800x1200 for 3:2 2megapixel cameras and several more.

Regards
CK

Just basing on what I have from my G2 for easy way out...;p

Wow.... I was just about to post something related!

We're heading to Genting and then KL tomorrow. Was supposed to buy ImageTank but not enough cash so I ended up buying a 256MB Ridata 20x CF (got it for $190, for those who are interested to know). At G2 max resolution (2272x1704) I expect to get about 400 shots but I'm trying to save up so I'm thinking of shooting at 1600x1200.

My question is, would that be recommended? Would it affect image quality? We're most likely going to have it printed to at least 4R.

Regards,

Originally posted by Pinoy
Wow.... I was just about to post something related!

We're heading to Genting and then KL tomorrow. Was supposed to buy ImageTank but not enough cash so I ended up buying a 256MB Ridata 20x CF (got it for $190, for those who are interested to know). At G2 max resolution (2272x1704) I expect to get about 400 shots but I'm trying to save up so I'm thinking of shooting at 1600x1200.

My question is, would that be recommended? Would it affect image quality? We're most likely going to have it printed to at least 4R.

Regards,

If all you want is 4R, then shooting at the higest resolution is overkill and waste of memory. Set it to 1600x1200, which will even give you pretty good 8Rs. Using 1600x1200 at the lowest compression, you would end up with files of about 800K each.
At max resolution and lowest compression, I don't think you will get 400 shots onto a 256MB card. Each file will be at least 1.5MB or so.

Regards
CK

you might not need the lowest compression to print 4Rs. but the extra resolution might come in handy if you need larger prints.

Originally posted by ckiang
At max resolution and lowest compression, I don't think you will get 400 shots onto a 256MB card. Each file will be at least 1.5MB or so.
Oh, forgot to tell that I already have an existing 256MB CF. So I actually meant 512MB with the 400 shots.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I think I'll be shooting at 1600x1200 then.

Regards,

Originally posted by mpenza
you might not need the lowest compression to print 4Rs. but the extra resolution might come in handy if you need larger prints.
I think at the most, I'd be printing at 8R. ;)

Regards,

if 400 photos is sufficient, use the highest resolution as you have intended to. some landscape photographs would need a resolution of more than 1600x1200 to show the detail of small objects.

Originally posted by mpenza
if 400 photos is sufficient, use the highest resolution as you have intended to.
That exactly is my predicament. I'm not sure whether 400 shots would be sufficient. :(

Regards,

if you could do in camera resizing, there won't be a problem.... my old camera allows me to resize to any sizes.

Originally posted by Pinoy
That exactly is my predicament. I'm not sure whether 400 shots would be sufficient. :(

Regards,

You can switch resolutions on the spot. For those shots which you think you want the absolute best quality, shoot at the highest resolution.

A good compromise will be to use highest resolution, medium compression.

Regards
CK

I go RAW all the way unless the pic is for fun or PURELY web...

RAW allows me to do wonders in terms of exposure control and color control and sharpening.

Where is 800x600???????????:rbounce: :rbounce: :rbounce:

Originally posted by ckiang

You can switch resolutions on the spot. For those shots which you think you want the absolute best quality, shoot at the highest resolution.

A good compromise will be to use highest resolution, medium compression.

Regards
CK

Am using the A40, under Menu Settings and Compression, what's the diff btw using Superfine, Fine or Normal? Which is recommended?

Am currently using 1600 x 1200 as resolution...

Thanks.

If this macro at 1600x1200 does not cut your breath , it looks that i got the wrong camera . :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Actually this is a croped image , with out any other fix .
Its one Pentium 3 ,CPU core ..

piiicrack.jpg

Originally posted by syncmaster
If this macro at 1600x1200 does not cut your breath , it looks that i got the wrong camera . :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

don't really get what you mean in this context.

Originally posted by syncmaster

piiicrack.jpg

is that a crack line on the chip???

Originally posted by zapp!
I go RAW all the way unless the pic is for fun or PURELY web...

RAW allows me to do wonders in terms of exposure control and color control and sharpening.

I was just about to post my question when I saw zapp's comments. My ques is: Can't images shot in jpg compression mode be controlled in terms of exposure, color, sharpening etc as zapp mentioned?

So far, I've shot on RAW also but I'm going on a holiday soon and I think RAW is simple inappropriate. As Ckiang mentions it's an overkill. But I've not yet observed the differences in RAW and jpeg (say highest resolution and minimal compression) when editing in say Photoshop.

It's tempting to get an Image Tank where I can press the trigger in RAW mode to my heart's content but I think it's an even bigger overkill considering that I'll come back home with super huge files. Doubt I'll even geting anywhere near the 10MB storage space. So it'll be a waste of money to get Image Tank for my purpose I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.