Which rechargeables? Sony? GP? Sanyo?

Which rechargeables are better?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

d7t3

Oct 3, 2002
In the Shepherd's hands
After looking around at some shops I couldn't find a way to decide...

Please help with your advice:

I need to buy 2 sets of chargers & batts:

1. Charger for 4xAA - for 3 Nikon external flashes (1 charger, 12 batts), for work

2. Charger for 4xAA & 2xAAA - for P&S digicam, PDA (1 charger + assorted batts) for home

Different people have recommended Sony, Sanyo & GP. Which brand would be good, and which capacity should I get? 1800? 2100? 2300? :dunno:

Thanks in advance... I'm quite clueless

d7t3 said:
After looking around at some shops I couldn't find a way to decide...

Please help with your advice:

I need to buy 2 sets of chargers & batts:

1. Charger for 4xAA - for 3 Nikon external flashes (1 charger, 12 batts), for work

2. Charger for 4xAA & 2xAAA - for P&S digicam, PDA (1 charger + assorted batts) for home

Different people have recommended Sony, Sanyo & GP. Which brand would be good, and which capacity should I get? 1800? 2100? 2300? :dunno:

Thanks in advance... I'm quite clueless

Sanyo for sure and GP is the brand to avoid, cos many ppl say GP is not reliable and the effieciency is quite low compare to sanyo

Yup Sanyo batt are made in Japan. As for chargers get those which have individual channel charging/monitoring. I'm using a MAHA charger and it also comes wif a car adapter. :D

sanyo charger with 4 2300 batt selling $49 at comex by eastgear now!

kohweekuan said:
sanyo charger with 4 2300 batt selling $49 at comex by eastgear now!

...same price as the shop at any other times :confused:

Good for you lor.

My GP batteries need one whole day to charge but they are rather lasting. Can they at least 100 photos with no flash and using LCD screen. :)

icer said:
Good for you lor.

My GP batteries need one whole day to charge but they are rather lasting. Can they at least 100 photos with no flash and using LCD screen. :)
can consider buying the Sanyo super fast charger.. no need to wait over night 1...
2 over hours can give u 4 full batt...!!!

Sanyo has the 2500mAh batteries coming soon.
Think I read somewhere not too long ago.

Actually, if you want a super rapid flash cycling time, you should try one of the batteries from here, you might have problems charging them though as they are flat top batteries as opposed to button tops that we commonly use.

CBP 1400 mah

They took a 2 seconds off my flash charging time. From 5 seconds to 3, compared to using Sanyo 2100s. Reason being that they are capable of high current discharges and hold their voltage better than the high capacity ones.

But if you're looking for more flash per charge of batteries, I would recommend you stick with the Sanyo 2500mahs which should soon arrive in Singapore.

GP also have 2500mAH - http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/products/rechargeable_hydride.html

We should not use charging speed as the ONLY parameter for deciding which charger to buy. There are other things to look out for. A poorly implemented charging circuit may shorten the life of your batteries in the long run. For example, there are three methods of judging when to stop charging: -deltaV, temperature and time. The best is to get a charger to detect all three parameters. Also, get a charger with 4 individual charging circuits.

Maybe you can try Maha Powerex 2200mah batts. Quite good i heard. I'm using Sanyo 2300s and the quick refresh charger. Very good performance. I think you can get it for $48 at W3. http://www.w3cube.com/

thanks a lot, people!

i've heard of maha but never seen the brand in shops. it's quite well reputed.

jumbocrab, your advice sounds logical... though i wouldn't know which charger uses which criteria.

also thanks for the shop info... i was thinking of going to mustafa originally...

my GP batteries are OK. Using 1hour rapid charge with 1600mAh, 1800mAh batteries and they're doing OK for my flashes, pocketTV etc. paid S$5 for 2 piece in PC show a couple of months ago

latmo said:
Sanyo for sure and GP is the brand to avoid, cos many ppl say GP is not reliable and the effieciency is quite low compare to sanyo

Prismatic said:
Sanyo has the 2500mAh batteries coming soon.
Think I read somewhere not too long ago.

A bit OT. Can someone confirm this:

With my Sanyo 2100 and 2300, I have the impression that high the capacity, faster the batteries will lose its charge when left not use after fully charged.

d7t3 said:
thanks a lot, people!

i've heard of maha but never seen the brand in shops. it's quite well reputed.

jumbocrab, your advice sounds logical... though i wouldn't know which charger uses which criteria.

also thanks for the shop info... i was thinking of going to mustafa originally...

Well, you just have to do more research and dig for more answers. For example:

http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/pdf/u-smart.pdf

The manual clearly states all the features. I'm not in any way related to GP Batteries. Just that I have found them to be very transparent in their equipment specifications and functions.

You got to do the same and try to research for other brands you are interested in.

Sanyo for me. GP too expensive.

i've bought the batts!

for work: i overestimated the flash use. probably not cost-effective to buy expensive batts (e.g. sanyo 2300), so bought GP standard charger + 8 x 1300mah for $20. reason: most of the time, only 1 flash is used. the others only for big events.

for home: sanyo refresh charger + 4 x 2300, and 8 x 800mah AAA from w3cube, prices as on website

really glad for the advice given!

Status
Not open for further replies.