Which RAM to buy to upgrade Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rOnGrEn

Jan 8, 2005
Hougang
Hey guys...

Need some help here. Thinking of upgrading my laptop's RAM but overwhelmed by the different types of ram at the IT show, and the salesperson was too busy to exaplin to me(he ask me to go find out myself).. so i figure i seek help from the kind people here... I am kind of a IT-idiot.. :bsmilie:

Using a fujitsu lifebook s6220 with 512DDR3 .. the detailed specs is seen here
http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fapl/fpcap/pastmodels/lifebook/factsheet_lb_s6220.pdf

My question is.. must I only buy DDR333 rams?? (Its stated that the max memory supported is 2048MB DDR333 ) Can I say like buy a 1GB 533MHz DDR2 ?? Any difference between DDR and DDR2??

Thanx in advance for the help!!:)

Hey guys...

Need some help here. Thinking of upgrading my laptop's RAM but overwhelmed by the different types of ram at the IT show, and the salesperson was too busy to exaplin to me(he ask me to go find out myself).. so i figure i seek help from the kind people here... I am kind of a IT-idiot.. :bsmilie:

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fapl/fpcap/pastmodels/lifebook/factsheet_lb_s6220.pdf

My question is.. must I only buy DDR333 rams?? (Its stated that the max memory supported is 2048MB DDR333 ) Can I say like buy a 1GB 533MHz DDR2 ?? Any difference between DDR and DDR2??

eh DDR3? most probably just DDR1 333mhz
the best you could go is get another piece of ddr1 333mhz 1gb...
don think your notebook can support ddr2

Hey guys...

There is different between DDR and DDR2.
Good place to get your notebook RAM is memoryworld.
Just tell them the make and model of your notebook.

Bring your laptop to sim lim. Go to the reputable stores like Fuwell, Bell, Storage Studio. They will help you with it.

Your laptop only supports DDR1 RAM. Jus get any laptop RAM thats DDR1 and you wont go wrong.

Cheers.
to be safe better get 333mhz.. cos ddr1 also comes in 400mhz and 266mhz. :bsmilie:

Hey guys...

Ok I'll try my best here.

Yes you will have to buy DDR 333 rams. Cos based on your configuration and the processor you are using (an Intel 7x5), your mother board will take only 333 MHz RAM.

DDR2 will not fit in a DDR slot cos the notch on the RAM is at a different place and also the pin density is higher. DDR2 are simply over clocked RAMs.

I know you haven't asked this but yea you can use any brand. But buy DDR 333.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanx maddyks, ExplorerZ, germ_boi (for your pm reply also :) ), Klose, Ola for your replies!

I now have a better idea what to look out for when i go shopping!will just get a 1gb ddr333.. have a great day ahead guys~

Bro rOnGrEn, pardon me for riding on your thread.

I am also planning to add RAM to my laptop (ACER Travel Mate, TM4151LMI). Currently, the system is
having 2 x 256 MB of DDRII 533 RAM. I intend to upgrade the RAM to either 1 GB or 2 GB (depending on price).

OPTION 1: 2 X 512 MB
DDRII 533 RAM, how much is this?
OPTION 2: 2 X 1 GB DDRII 533 RAM, how much is this?

How much will places suggested in this thread (
memoryworld, Fuwell, Bell, Storage Studio) charge for their services to have it changed for me?

TIA. :)

It would be slightly more than $200 for option 2.

I will be at IT Show today from 6plus I think, do call me if you wanna meet up, we can buy together maybe can get better price. haha.

9339 3009

You must use DDR ram, not DDR2.

As for speed, you can buy anything higher than 333MHz.....400MHz is also fine if you can find one.....but it will still run at 333MHz so you will not see any advantage...just get anything that fits your wallet.

Example, base on this website http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/priceguide.php?id=531
you should be able to select the notebook memory type and use the price as a guide, polular brand like Kingston, corsair and Twinmos is fine, just clarify with the shop on the warranty policy.

As Klose suggested, bring your whole notebook to Sim Lim square, ask the shop keeper to help install for you and you buy on the spot of it works.....I did that in Fuwell last time (2yrs ago) and they were really helpful....I paid $150 for a 512MB...now so cheap liao :bigeyes: Also try your best to go on non peak hour lah...the best is weekday afternoon :lovegrin:

It would be slightly more than $200 for option 2.

I will be at IT Show today from 6plus I think, do call me if you wanna meet up, we can buy together maybe can get better price. haha.

9339 3009
Bro germ_boi, I will not be able to make it today. :)

Bro rOnGrEn, pardon me for riding on your thread.

I am also planning to add RAM to my laptop (ACER Travel Mate, TM4151LMI). Currently, the system is
having 2 x 256 MB of DDRII 533 RAM. I intend to upgrade the RAM to either 1 GB or 2 GB (depending on price).

OPTION 1: 2 X 512 MB
DDRII 533 RAM, how much is this?
OPTION 2: 2 X 1 GB DDRII 533 RAM, how much is this?

How much will places suggested in this thread (
memoryworld, Fuwell, Bell, Storage Studio) charge for their services to have it changed for me?

TIA. :)
Or there is an OPTION 3: 1 x 256 MB DDRII 533 RAM (existing) + 1 x 1 GB DDRII 533 RAM! That would mean that my laptop will have 1.25 GB RAM. :)

Hey guys...

You can search by brand and model of your notebook via Kingston website. Here's what I found for your notebook, write it down and can go to IT Show and get it if you want.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?id=1&SysID=18916&mfr=Fujitsu&model=Siemens&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=18916-Fujitsu-Siemens-LifeBook+S+Series+S6220&distributor=0&submit1=Search

../azul123

Or there is an OPTION 3: 1 x 256 MB DDRII 533 RAM (existing) + 1 x 1 GB DDRII 533 RAM! That would mean that my laptop will have 1.25 GB RAM. :)

i dont think that this is a good idea if your laptop is running on dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.