which prosumer digital cam is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

netchat

Nov 8, 2003
East
www.nitaki.com.sg
hi, helping my fren to find a camera.. she dun like the bulky side of a DSLR.. so i suggested to her a prosumer camera..

any bro can advise me currently, wat is the prosumer cam available in the market and which is better??

Thx Shawn

Budget?

No point to suggest something that she can't afford

'Good' is very subjective and usually equates with $$$$. Dun like DSLR how about Oly PEN-E2 or Pana G1?:lovegrin:

hmm.. she only use normal point and shot digicam now.. so she intend to go slightly more advance by able to have more control on her photo shot.

budget wise, definitely have to be cheaper than the cheapest DSLR now in the market.. and of cos, size and weight of the camera is a main concern.. after short listed the few bro here recommend, i will get her to go feel the physical cam..

thx
Shawn

High end P&S with manual controls. e.g. Canon Powershot G11 or Powershot S90?

hmm.. she only use normal point and shot digicam now.. so she intend to go slightly more advance by able to have more control on her photo shot.

budget wise, definitely have to be cheaper than the cheapest DSLR now in the market.. and of cos, size and weight of the camera is a main concern.. after short listed the few bro here recommend, i will get her to go feel the physical cam..

thx
Shawn

Still very vague. What kind of controls she wants and what is the size she's ok with?

my mum is using canon ixus 200 IS
pretty good compact camera but a little pricey. $600 i think
;)
just giving my recommendation
in my opinion, the canon ixus series is pretty good
so you cant go wrong with any of them

ok.. guess she is pro canon now.. she only wana canon..

hahahaha

size not as big as DSLR.. able to snap nice potrait photo wit focus on the person and behind backgrnd is blur.. (am i right to describe it this way)

thx
Shawn

ok.. guess she is pro canon now.. she only wana canon..

hahahaha

size not as big as DSLR.. able to snap nice potrait photo wit focus on the person and behind backgrnd is blur.. (am i right to describe it this way)

thx
Shawn
It will be more difficult to achieve that with a smaller sensor such as the ones found in P&S. If this is most important, perhaps a 1000D (the smallest dSLR) available from Canon?

It will be more difficult to achieve that with a smaller sensor such as the ones found in P&S. If this is most important, perhaps a 1000D (the smallest dSLR) available from Canon?
1000D/500D with 50mm F1.8 or F1.4. :D

The cheapest SLR in the market is $600+ you wanna beat that with a Prosumer? I think a Canon G11 cost as much and a Canon SX1is cost more.

What kind of control she wants? i think the only useful control in a Prosumer is the Iso or the shutter speed. Aperture is like not much use since the DOF is already wide at any focal length.

no point for us to recommend this and that in this forum.

u go to bring her to shops and let her hold the cams by herself

choose a big store like Best or Harvey where they got a wide range to see.

these days, some prosumer cams looks like and weigh like DSLR cam.... there's very little difference.

those compact prosumer cams, their prices will be the same as some DSLRs already..... so she got to see them for herself

haha
girls(most of them, pro female shooters dun get offended by me- u all are one of a kind =) )...- just buy something small nice, pretty and can shoot can liao without too much trouble can liao. she buy prosumer think most of the time if not all shoot in Auto mode...wats the point?

btw bokeh can be created using most point and shoot. if you create sufficient zoom and in the right mode.

hi, helping my fren to find a camera.. she dun like the bulky side of a DSLR.. so i suggested to her a prosumer camera..

any bro can advise me currently, wat is the prosumer cam available in the market and which is better??

Thx Shawn
For less then $700, there are Sony and Olympus DSLR options open at various megastores if want to use credit card bonuses/points if any.

For $6xx there is the LX3 and etc.

For less then $170, there is also the presumably budget version of the LX3, the LZ8 with manual functions and leica lens.

Last edited:
haha
girls(most of them, pro female shooters dun get offended by me- u all are one of a kind =) )...- just buy something small nice, pretty and can shoot can liao without too much trouble can liao. she buy prosumer think most of the time if not all shoot in Auto mode...wats the point?

btw bokeh can be created using most point and shoot. if you create sufficient zoom and in the right mode.

yeah, put the PnS in Macro mode and go In your face shooting or Maximum zoom and stand far away and shoot :bsmilie: I bought a Canon SX1is 2 months back thinking a prosumer allows me to do bokeh only to realise i have to do the above to get good Bokeh effects hahaha.........in the end byebye SX1is, hello Alpha a330

LX3 is definitely GOOD

haha

Maybe some hello kitty stickers.... :devil::bsmilie:

Actually, i highly recommend the panasonic lumix fz28, or probably a lumix fz35 - can shoot almost everything. Enough manual controls to keep you happy but note that the aperture size max out at f8 and manual control for shutter speed is 1/1000 - 1/2000 if in IA or one of those program modes.

But seriously speaking, my dslr (2nd hand) costs around the same price as my fz28... if her mind is fixed on Canon :rolleyes: then perhaps that's the way to go. A lot of other cameras give better value for money - like the Pentax K-X. Heck! One or two clubsnapper changed their mind after reading the specs and comparing photo samples of the dslr.

yeah, put the PnS in Macro mode and go In your face shooting or Maximum zoom and stand far away and shoot :bsmilie: I bought a Canon SX1is 2 months back thinking a prosumer allows me to do bokeh only to realise i have to do the above to get good Bokeh effects hahaha.........in the end byebye SX1is, hello Alpha a330

Yeah.... had the same happened to me. The bokeh effect isn't very authentic either. After seeing some shots of bokeh - i also came to the same conclusion. Can't be done "well" on prosumer cameras - they create digital bokeh. Hahahahahaha :D

Status
Not open for further replies.