Which potrait lens is worthwhile to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJLoke

Aug 2, 2009
Hi guys, Im looking for a lens as the next upgrade. I have read numberous reviews about the tamron 17-50 and 28-75 and Im in more favor of the 28-75. Will be doing shots on potraits and weddings.

Im currently using the tamron 18-200 F3.5-6.3 on a 450D

L lens not for me yet

I have narrowed down a few lens within my budget:

Tamron 17-50 F2.8
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Criteria is smooth bokeh and max of F2.8

What are your recommendations? I welcome other lens as considerations which are <S$650

Thank you

Last edited:
Since you have experienced 18-200, do you like to shoot above 55 /70 mm? If yes, you may get the 85 f1.8
Do you always rely on zooming? If yes, you may not like a prime.

Also, how do you feel the field of view for focal length >55 mm? Some may find it too narrow for a 450D.

Assuming you'll be doing group/table shots for weddings, the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 will probably be a best choice among the three. Unless you want to do mainly head/shoulder shots, the 85mm isn't as useful on your camera.

Assuming you'll be doing group/table shots for weddings, the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 will probably be a best choice among the three. Unless you want to do mainly head/shoulder shots, the 85mm isn't as useful on your camera.

Agreed. 85mm on a 1.6x crop is quite tight, known as the headshot lens for crop bodies

i would prefer prime lens if it's taking portraits. what about the rest?

TS can check out the various focal length on the current 18-200 to see what works best for him to get the type of pics he want (can just get someone in the family to pose for him and try out). 85mm could definitely be used get get pretty good shots but to fit more of the person in the picture, he would have to stand quite far away... this could be an issue if he's the main photographer.

Tamron 17-50/2.8
Pros
----
1. Wide enough for wedding table shots
2. Wide enough for tight situations indoors (during wedding day shots)
3. 50mm at crop x1.5 is 75mm and good enough for most portraits (head and shoulders type).
Cons
-----
1. Longest reach is 50mm which will lack some reach in some situations (eg. couple on stage; quick zoom in portrait of guests (eg. crying, funny situation, etc), which you may be too far away to walk closer.

Tamron 28-7/2.8
Pros
----
1. Generally good reach
2. Can give a more isolated subject for portraits at 75mm
3. 28mm at widest is close to 'normal' perspective for general coverage shots
Cons
4. Generally wide enough to cover table shots unless its really such an odd/small dining room

Cons
-----
1. May be not wide enough is some situations indoors (eg. large family shot w/ no more space to back up to)
Generally, as the wedding photog, you should control the situation, and direct where the photo should be shot, so you can make sure you have space to back up to, or position/arrange the subjects accordingly.

85mm
-------
Too tight imho. More for head and shoulders portraits.

Hi guys, Im looking for a lens as the next upgrade. I have read numberous reviews about the tamron 17-50 and 28-75 and Im in more favor of the 28-75. Will be doing shots on potraits and weddings.

Im currently using the tamron 18-200 F3.5-6.3 on a 450D

L lens not for me yet

I have narrowed down a few lens within my budget:

Tamron 17-50 F2.8
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Criteria is smooth bokeh and max of F2.8

What are your recommendations? I welcome other lens as considerations which are <S$650

Thank you

I'll take the 85mm.

i tend to use a fair bit of zoom, roughly ard 30mm to 100mm. wide angle shots are mainly for scenery and buildings, or zoom all the way if subject is more than 3m away for candid shots

for portraits i mostly have to zoom in at about 30mm to get head+shoulder combi, even if the subject is about 0.6 ~ 1m away

since my lens is F3.5 to 6.3 the background can be quite distracting at times, especially with shots with the subject in front of large crowds or indoor

was playing with the different ranges. 50mm is actually just nice, maybe zoom a tiny bit. 85mm can be like a sniper going for head shot especially in confined room

was thinkin the 28-75 may be a good choice tho, and also i did love to play with low F ratio lens (F1.2 to 1.8) as well, but not as important

i would say my 18-200 covered my wide angle shots and zoom very well. Just to second out another lens for better bokeh effect and low light shooting cum portrait

thanks all for the current feedback

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.