Which portable harddisk to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneheart

Oct 27, 2006
West
Hi everyone,

i'm in a dilemma, I'll be going india for 19 days next week.. I'm not sure if i should bring a portable harddisk that has CF slot or jus bring a normal external harddisk that needs to pluck to computer? I've some worries.. if i bring the portable harddisk that has CF slot, i do not 1 2 bring the charger because it is extremely bulky, i'm afraid the batteries will deplete easily in cold weather. If i bring a normal external harddisk, i'm afraid i cant find a computer with at least 2 or 3 USB port that is free (2 USB port for harddisk, 1 for card reader). wat do u suggest?

The places i'm going is between -20 degree to 2 degree. I'll be going to Kashmir so i guess the altitude is about 2000m above sea level. I heard that portable harddisk can spoil easily at higher altitude places..

bring more CF cards

Hmn ,, went to Tibet with portable harddisk ,, :)

But think you will need your charger as cold weather battery wont last long.

I'm trying to cut cost bcos i spent quite a lot on winter clothings and shoes.. hmm.. only have 3 1GB CF cards.. which is not enuf..

Hmn ,, went to Tibet with portable harddisk ,, :)

But think you will need your charger as cold weather battery wont last long.

ooo.. if i bring the portable harddisk, i'll bring the bulky charger.. Do u think 3 camera batteries is enuf?

I have gone thru more portable HDD/card reader then I care to remember.
How big is file size?
You will need to have sufficient storage for 5K pictures. I am assuming 200 pic a day, and a 1000 pic buffer, rounding it up, 5K.

Bring a portable HDD to inhospital enviroment, BAD idea.

abt 2MB per pic? So imagine i shoot 5k pics, then i need abt 10 GB of cards... well, how much is a 7GB CF card or 2 4 GB CF card but i will only need so many cards once a year i think..

Btw KNIGHT ONG, u brought the portable hd to tibet, so it was ok?

Is cards really that safe? I had one that died on me b4.. My point n shot camera suddenly got jammed, i couldnt off it so i took out my battery to restart it.. later the card has error.. i went to at least 6 different photo developing shops n try to revive it but cant. I installed some programs that supposedly retrieves pictures from error cards but couldnt so i gave up my photos..

Was using Epson P2000 at tibet without any problem through careful handling (use it only at hotel, no strong movement or knocking when it's on).

Are you going trekking in Kashmir in winter?
Why is the bulk such a concern?
Just bring your portable storage w/ CF slot. :)

abt 2MB per pic? So imagine i shoot 5k pics, then i need abt 10 GB of cards... well, how much is a 7GB CF card or 2 4 GB CF card but i will only need so many cards once a year i think..

Btw KNIGHT ONG, u brought the portable hd to tibet, so it was ok?

It was okay and my kakis brought the EPSON P2000 upzz plus laptop .. you will need to have enough diskspace to store your images. But please do have contingency plans just in case, your portable harddisk may failed.

I keep my harddisk in hotel,,, brought 4x CF cards during the day for shooting .. :)

I feel for you when you said that you've spent a lot of money on winterwear. We can't really put that to use in Singapore.

for now, all i can suggest is that buy two 4Gb CF cards - if weight is a concern. couple of months back I bought the Sandisk 4 Gb Extreme III CF card at Cathay Photo for S$120 each. if you have time and patience, maybe you can go to simlim and check out the stores (Active Foto - not very sure of the name as i'm not a regular at sim lim - is known for cheaper CF card prices compared to the other retailers)

if i were you, i would also take the portable harddisk along. i am quite kiasu when it comes to backing up photos. i would rather not carry an extra shirt and use that space for the portable harddisk and its charger :bsmilie:

have a good trip and bring back lots of memories of Kashmir to share with us :thumbsup:

Is cards really that safe? I had one that died on me b4.. My point n shot camera suddenly got jammed, i couldnt off it so i took out my battery to restart it.. later the card has error.. i went to at least 6 different photo developing shops n try to revive it but cant. I installed some programs that supposedly retrieves pictures from error cards but couldnt so i gave up my photos..

So far for me the safest is still the card, I used Sandisk all the way .. so far so good :)

ooo.. if i bring the portable harddisk, i'll bring the bulky charger.. Do u think 3 camera batteries is enuf?

You have to decide for yourself ,, whether is it good enough .. my camera's backpack was > 10Kg with 2 bodies and 3 lens. Still got AA battery charger and cam's battery charger etc etc

wow that's a lot! I'll bring the portable hd and it's power adapter.. My bag is really heavy.. Jus the winter clothes alone, 2 huge jackets.. After wearing 5 layers of clothes and the boots, i felt that i've put on another 10kg.. Can't bend my hands.. I'm jus a petite girl so i think the max i can take is a 15kg bagpack.. haha.. I'll be doing light trekking in Kashmir.. Will be going to these places in Kashmir - Srinagar (altitude: 1524m), Pahalgam, Sonamarg and Gulmarg (altitude: 2743m). I'm only staying for 2 nights in Gulmarg, so think i'll jus leave the HD in srinagar since the altitude is much lower.. Yeah.. so excited, will share w u guys if my HD fail at an altitude of 1524m..

Thanks so much for all ur suggestions..!

Everything will break at some point.

Flash memories does not have moving parts.

HDD had lots of moving parts. Go figure.

Besides, extra chargers or batteries for the HDD, adds weight and bulk. If you are trekking, not so good an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.