Which Portable External Hard Disk to Recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For portable drives, I'm having good experience with Seagate or Western Digital drives. Would you be sourcing some during coming computer exhibition in Singapore Expo?

hmm 120 is more than sufficient for 500gig external hdd
can consider seagate, western digital both are pretty well established HDD brands.
both brands are more or less the same so it boils down to the looks and the quick backup button.
what i heard that there is actually no difference between those with backup and no backup button, because if u format the hdd it will be gone so should just save the extra 10 bucks and get the one without backup program.
i got mine from the IT show few mths back for 119 if i'm not wrong.
there is a IT show coming up soon u might wanna wait alittle longer before the purchase.

Hi..any brand to recommend? My budget is $120 for a 500GB. May i ask where and exactly which shops are recommended? Kindly advise...thanks.
$119 to $129 is pretty common prices for 500GB during it fairs.

Challenger has a $129 offer for Seagate 500GB if i remember correctly.

I bought Iomega last show...runs pretty cool even if connected for days.

7a675711.jpg
83d1adb8.jpg
9a714934.gif

Last edited:
Thx for the replies..i went simlim today and western digital 640GB is already sold out and they got this 1TB selling for 149. But its a 3.5 bulky one. Are there 2.5 portable 500GB ones for ard $120?

I was told that not much difference for hdd even in IT show...no point squeezing the crowds to save few dollars.lol...

Highly recommend WD portable hard drives, they look good and perform well :thumbsup:

next time see this info 1st before going to simlim. can get a clear picture of the price.
normly during IT fair , the price at the fair is = to the price at the shop.
only the last day price will drop.
how much it drop depan how much stock left.

do u mean those 2.5 size? how much did you bought it for? tink more than 120 rite?

When I bought my 160GB 2.5-inch about 20 months ago, it cost $149. I think you can get the WD Elements series for quite low prices at these shows. Or, consider the 3.5-inch ones which are substantially cheaper($179 for 1TB at Challenger IIRC). However, these run on AC.

next time see this info 1st before going to simlim. can get a clear picture of the price.
normly during IT fair , the price at the fair is = to the price at the shop.
only the last day price will drop.
how much it drop depan how much stock left.

hey..thats highly useful info!! Thx

erm i don't think hdd price would drop on the last day.
they might give freebies at the IT show that is the only perks of going there.
3.5inch requires power supply if i'm not wrong, pretty bulky compared to 2.5 inch, however its much cheaper compared to the 2.5 inch ones.

I had a bad experience with seagate 3.5" external HDD. The drive just go on strike less than 6 months of purchase.. Managed to get a replacement as it is within warranty period.. but 200GB of data gone.. :(

And it's weird that they give only 1 year warranty for external drives but 5 year warranty for the OEM HDD.. Does it imply that the one in the external drive is of lower quality?

For portable drives, I'm having good experience with Seagate or Western Digital drives. Would you be sourcing some during coming computer exhibition in Singapore Expo?

I had a bad experience with seagate 3.5" external HDD. The drive just go on strike less than 6 months of purchase.. Managed to get a replacement as it is within warranty period.. but 200GB of data gone.. :(

And it's weird that they give only 1 year warranty for external drives but 5 year warranty for the OEM HDD.. Does it imply that the one in the external drive is of lower quality?

Same here. Mine crash 2 mths back. Got a replacement but all datas gone. Considering a 2.5". Just contemplating between Seagate & WD.:think:

Warranty cover hardware only. Meaning if it is defective, they'll sent you a replacement unit (maybe refurnished ones or new one)

they will not attempt to service the drive and return the same one. Even if they serviced it, they'll probably give it to the next customer as replacement.

Anyway, more likely they'll just check it for failure analysis studies and no intention to return it to the market as they can well afford to just throw it away.

Data recovery is very very expensive.. And manuafacturers will not attempt to recover unless you pay them $$$$ for it.. And if you want recovery, you need to send it to another place for the operation, then after the operation sent the drive for a replacement.

U mean when it crashes, all data will be gone even if you send for warranty? They cant retrieve the data? I tink i will go for the WD 2.5 500GB. It's selling for $140.

Last edited:
U mean when it crashes, all data will be gone even if you send for warranty? They cant retrieve the data? I tink i will go for the WD 2.5 500GB. It's selling for $140.

Yes they can retrieve the datas, but its costly. I think the set back maybe can buy you 10 drives? :eek: Correct me if i'm wrong.

image.php
image.php

Just an indication with Toshiba/Samsung pricing. I think a 500GB 2.5" external drive will be in the $120-$150 range. WD/Seagate brochures have not come out yet...

Edit: Seagate brochures

image.php
image.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.