Which PnS 28mm camera advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesclee

Mar 22, 2005
Jurong
Just want to get a PnS 28mm camera instead of carrying my heavy Olympus E3. Have narrowed choice to the following: Fuji F100fd, Canon 860 Is, Sony W170 & Panasonic fx36 or T15. Forget about Manual control as I will just set it to Auto since it's just a PnS. Not too sure how really effective is the iA of the Pany is. If it is as good as the advert shows in the gym scene. then it is fantastic. The Canon (I used to have the S3) will probably give the best colour based on my S3 experience. But I'm leaning more towards the F100fd as it is still the best when used in low light situations (along Orchard Rd. in the night and indoor environment). As far as daytime outdoor shooting, all the above cameras should do very well in everyday usage.

Would apprecite comments and hope to make decision to purchase later this month during the next PC show.

Just want to get a PnS 28mm camera instead of carrying my heavy Olympus E3.
Would apprecite comments and hope to make decision to purchase later this month during the next PC show.

Have not used a IXUS 860 before, but my current IXUS 850 28mm serve me well. Would be nice if IXUS could include shutter priority. Would not hesitate to consider IXUS 860 for my next P&S upgrade.

A sample shot with IXUS 850 at 28mm
SG080102007-rs.jpg

Just want to get a PnS 28mm camera instead of carrying my heavy Olympus E3. Have narrowed choice to the following: Fuji F100fd, Canon 860 Is, Sony W170 & Panasonic fx36 or T15. Forget about Manual control as I will just set it to Auto since it's just a PnS. Not too sure how really effect is the iA of the Pany is. If it is as good as the advert shows in the gym scene. then it is fantastic. The Canon (I used to have the S3) will probably give the best colour based on my S3 experience. But I'm leaning more towards the F100fd as it is still the best when used in low light situations (along Orchard Rd. in the night and indoor environment). As far as daytime outdoor shooting, all the above cameras should do very well in everyday usage.

F100fd should be the way to go if higher ISO are important.

The lady going down the stairs picture is beautiful as I've expected in Canon camera. In Auto mode, the image of the lady is blurred as she is in motion. Wonder if the other brand will be able to freeze the motion even in Auto mode. I think Fuji and the other brand should be able to freeze the lady's motion as it able to push to a higher ISO as they are cameras being just launched. As I've said, the camera as got to be set in Auto mode or one of the Scene modes. I'm not interested in creative photography (playing with DOF,etc), all I want is WYSIWYG in a picture.

The lady going down the stairs picture is beautiful as I've expected in Canon camera. In Auto mode, the image of the lady is blurred as she is in motion. Wonder if the other brand will be able to freeze the motion even in Auto mode. I think Fuji and the other brand should be able to freeze the lady's motion as it able to push to a higher ISO as they are cameras being just launched. As I've said, the camera as got to be set in Auto mode or one of the Scene modes. I'm not interested in creative photography (playing with DOF,etc), all I want is WYSIWYG in a picture.

All cameras listed can get a picture like that. And all of them can capture it so that her motion is frozen. I'm using a Sony W300 now as a backup cam and it does really really well. ISO performance is good too.

The picture was shot around midnight, so given the low ambient light, even if the photo was shot at high ISO, the lady will be blur due to the slow shutter speed. To freeze the lady in motion for a P&S at a distance, the ambient light needs to be bright, so that to push up the shutter speed.

The picture was shot around midnight, so given the low ambient light, even if the photo was shot at high ISO, the lady will be blur due to the slow shutter speed. To freeze the lady in motion for a P&S at a distance, the ambient light needs to be bright, so that to push up the shutter speed.
which in this case you will need a higher ISO with good noise performance. F100fd might be better if you want to do that.

Thanks for all comments and advise. Looks like the F100fd will be the most logical choice.
I thought all the above cameras claimed that they can now produce blurfree shots even when subject is in motion especially the Panasonic with it's iA. I think some even takes 2 or 3 shots each time you press the shutter so that you to choose the most ideal one. I think the F100fd do have this feature. Have anyone with the Panasonic FX36 or T15 have any complaint with their night/candle light shots?

I do read a lot of reviews but their judgement is usually based on DLSR standard and not from a PnS camera where most users will just set to Auto mode only. Even those users who give negative opinions always says for example, "lack of Manual control blah, blah, blah" think it should perform like a DSLR where the camera is just a PnS. If they want full features they should just stick to DSLR. Most amatuers doesn't care so much about noise anyway as they usually print in 4R where noise is not much of an issue. For me, I rarely print any of my pictures. If anyone want them, I just email or save it on a disc and pass it to them and they can print it themself. Probably 80% of people using PnS just simply want is a perfect blurfree picture with good exposure.

agree with mikesclee, furthermore there's the EV compensation, metering mode etc and also a slow sync flash function that u can play with on the fuji.

Thanks for all comments and advise. Looks like the F100fd will be the most logical choice.
I thought all the above cameras claimed that they can now produce blurfree shots even when subject is in motion especially the Panasonic with it's iA. I think some even takes 2 or 3 shots each time you press the shutter so that you to choose the most ideal one. I think the F100fd do have this feature. Have anyone with the Panasonic FX36 or T15 have any complaint with their night/candle light shots?

I do read a lot of reviews but their judgement is usually based on DLSR standard and not from a PnS camera where most users will just set to Auto mode only. Even those users who give negative opinions always says for example, "lack of Manual control blah, blah, blah" think it should perform like a DSLR where the camera is just a PnS. If they want full features they should just stick to DSLR. Most amatuers doesn't care so much about noise anyway as they usually print in 4R where noise is not much of an issue. For me, I rarely print any of my pictures. If anyone want them, I just email or save it on a disc and pass it to them and they can print it themself. Probably 80% of people using PnS just simply want is a perfect blurfree picture with good exposure.
From this comment here, what kind of blur shots are you talking about? Due to handshake, motion blur or out of focus?

The staircase shot - handheld? Flash?

From this comment here, what kind of blur shots are you talking about? Due to handshake, motion blur or out of focus?

Mainly Motion blur. Something like Panasonic iA as shown in their video. Since handshake will be taken care of with Image Stabilisation.

http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/popup/ia_movie02/index.html

Have not used a IXUS 860 before, but my current IXUS 850 28mm serve me well. Would be nice if IXUS could include shutter priority. Would not hesitate to consider IXUS 860 for my next P&S upgrade.

A sample shot with IXUS 850 at 28mm
SG080102007-rs.jpg

The exif shown it had pp-ed.....Is it pure from camera or pp-ed?

After going through reviews, I think I'll get the Fuji F100. It has all the functions of the Panasonic iA features and give better pictures. Too bad the Canon 860 doesn't have the anti-blur feature otherwise I'll get it. Probably the next model will include this feature.
Hopefully there'll be good offers like extra battery, 4Gb HCSD card, etc. during PC show. Can get the set now for $475 (including GST) cash/NETS with 2GB card.

Status
Not open for further replies.