Which picture size do you shoot for travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLighting

Oct 22, 2008
Hi,

Just curious to find out which picture size do you shoot for travelling. I am using a Canon 40D and have been using Large (fine) size since day one and find it troublesome to download and send pictures to friends due to large size. Raw format is out of the question for me.

I thought one day I might take a fabulous picture and blow it up A3 size but that has never happened so far.:bsmilie:

End of the year is coming and will be doing a fair bit of travelling and hope to convince myself to take smaller sized pictures for ease of downloading and sending online.

The largest resolution possible, and RAW also, you never know your future monitor screen and print can be much bigger than now. And storage are getting cheaper and bigger nowaday.

Why not just shoot raw and resize the images that you want to send to friends during the conversion process, this way you still get an intact hi res raw file to use for other purposes.

If you really don't want to shoot raw, then shoot in the best quality jpeg setting in your cam and make a resized copy of those shots you want to email to friends in an image editor, and keep the hi res jpeg for other purposes.

Just curious to find out which picture size do you shoot for travelling. I am using a Canon 40D and have been using Large (fine) size since day one and find it troublesome to download and send pictures to friends due to large size. Raw format is out of the question for me.

Seems to me you should have a look at your digital workflow. Why is resizing an image and sending via email troublesome at all? With the right workflow and tools it's just a few clicks and done. Also, handling RAW is not an issue then. Have a look at Adobe Lightroom (just an example, there are more with similar functions) to see how the workflow of importing, organizing, processing and exporting can go.

i shoot only in 6 megapixels normal (not fine), for normal shots.
when i think that scene is very important and nice, shoot RAW + a jpg for review.
you can always edit and shrink the size of the RAW output and send them to ur friends. Then you just keep the RAW and the processed file at its best resolution and details.

I shoot Raw + Jpeg (fine). Better to be safe than sorry as these are not locations I would go to frequently. :)

I shoot Raw + Jpeg (fine). Better to be safe than sorry as these are not locations I would go to frequently. :)

Same same...

Memory cards are so much cheaper nowadays.

../azul123

I shoot purely raw and carry a Nexto hdd cf backup wherever i go when i'm abroad so i can travel light and not worry about running out of memory.
I have too many pictures taken many years back in Jpeg which i wished i took in raw so i can edit and enlarge without worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.